Some Bluebloods have returned...

TX is number 8 in rivals 2019 ranking. They looked really good tonight and may be good for some time. Herman coached well at Houston and is doing a great job at TX. I hate to have to listen to Longhorn fans when they are doing well.
I don't like Texas, but college football is better when they are good. College football is better generally when blue blood programs/traditional powers are good with up-and-comers mixed in.

Texas/Oklahoma is a really fun game when both schools are good. I really wish they'd decide to play A&M again. If both schools are emerging as powers again, that'd also be a fun game.

Reactions: Vols&Vettes
Tennessee is hardly unique in experiencing a sustained drought. Alabama was down from about 97-07. Even had a 3-9 season in 2000. Oklahoma was awful for a decade before Stoops arrived. USC wasn't good before Carroll arrived and they're only average right now. As you mentioned, ND, Michigan, and Texas are all coming out of down turns. Penn State hit hard times between Paterno and Franklin. Nebraska has been pretty bad recently.

The hard thing for Tennessee is that it plays in the SEC. So righting the ship is tougher since there is more competition to keep its foot on your throat. Ohio State really has it the easiest, given that the Big 10 is never a great conference top to bottom and they have every resource imaginable. That's why they're the only traditional powerhouse that hasn't really seen an extended down cycle in the last 30 years.

Nice to see your comments again Greg. You're dead on with the challenges Tennessee has being in the SEC, not to mention the face we are only one of two teams that plays Bama and Georgia every year. Not complaining about it at all. It's just a fact of the Vol fan's life. The opportunity for us is that we are in the recruiting hot bead of the SE USA. That's why recruiting is the life blood of this program more so than almost any school.

Could you list the Michigan games that have meaning and those which don't. I get confused about this. I thought when you had a football team and a season schedule vs opponents that it was your goal to go out and win each one that you play.

Has it now become acceptable for teams and players to lay down and quit for certain games?

It has absolutely nothing to do with Michigan.....I enjoy every time they lose but bowl games are nothing but meaningless exhibitions unless you are in the playoffs.

Lol. Yes. I'm so sick of the cult following Jim Harbaugh gets from the press. One of the most overrated coaches around imo.
His tenure specifically at Michigan is. I still think regardless of what happens at Michigan, what he did at Stanford and with the 49ers was extremely impressive.

I think what really helped him be successful at Stanford was that he brought a big, physical, "mean" brand of football that the Pac 12 wasn't used to playing against. Even though he had Andrew Luck, they were a power running team the entire time he was there. What really helped him in SF was bringing the read option or read option concepts and it took NFL defenses a while to adjust to it.

At Michigan, he's basically going strength on strength - he's playing a stereotypical brand of Big Ten football in the Big Ten - and it isn't working out as well as anyone hoped. He's successful when he brings to something different to the table.

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti
Really? I don't understand this line of thinking. Isn't every game and the entire sport an exhibition?

Can you name another game where players sit out? If it meant something to the players then noone would be sitting out.

Lol. STFU and grow a pair buddy. That type of defeatist attitude is what manifest into reality the very thing you are crying about. Be a fountain not a drain Mr. Energy vampire...

Lmao okay. So being realistic means I need to grow a pair. We simply do not have the talent with a brand new coach to Have a ten win season. I hope I am wrong.

What is the biggest/most used/dumbest etc. excuse you see being used?
Hard to give one particular example, mostly what I see is deflection.... if for instance when Baylor was brought up having the huge turnaround they had this year from 1 to 8, it was said “ oh yeah like you can compare the situations, like they are exactly the same.” No they aren’t the same, no two situations are, having said that there isn’t any proof that they should have had an easier time than us having a turnaround. Again this is just one example. Me personally I think Pruitt deserves his shot and I pray that he can turn this boat around because I’m tired of sucking, doesn’t mean I’m going to pretend that he is our savior in the meantime without any reason to believe that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is I wasn’t impressed overall with his first year. No I wasn’t expecting 7 or 8 wins, I thought 6 would be reasonable. Heck the record we ended with would have been mildly acceptable if it wasn’t for the way we ended. Their really is no reason to get demolished by a bunch of 2 stars at vandy. Again different opinions don’t bother me, it’s what makes the world turn, what does bother me is that every time someone throws out a criticism of this program they are eviscerated by those who do not agree.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
  • ND is a product of their Schedule they need to join a conference and then we will talk about them (they were never that far from a Top 10 program)
  • Michigan won't be in the top 10 and lost their last 2 games by 23 and 26. Harbaugh has yet to even win his division let alone the BIG10. He is 2-6 against Mich St and OSU if he loses to OSU next year he won't be there in 2020.
  • Texas is definitely up and coming but UGA just lost that game due to hangover from not making the playoff. Texas wasn't the better team, but they may have the better coach!
Lets see it happen consistently before we go declaring them back!
They are relevant again, that’s my point.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Mich had 4 players sit out for the Draft and didn’t gaf. FL wanted had it more and had more to prove. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

However there is speculation a few NFL teams are going to take a run at Harbaugh.
Im sure michigan fans wont mind. Hes like 1-10 against top ranked teams and hasnt beat OSU

ND, Michigan, and Texas are all back to Top 10 programs. Obviously we aren’t even close, but it shows that with quality coaching and recruiting, traditional powerhouse programs can be restored. I hate that we are taking so long, but hopefully Pruitt can one day get us back into the national conversation (in a positive way).

The recruiting class is a start. Now he has to get this OC hire right. Next, he has to win some games that we aren’t supposed to win and win the games we are supposed to. That is the hallmark of a quality coaching staff and program.

Next year is important. We won’t contend for the East, but we should be at least competitive in every game and go to a bowl. Then maybe we can start expecting to be back amongst the bluebloods.

Unfortunately, you can add Florida to that list, too. 9-3 and wins over Michigan and LSU put's them back on the map as well. The one thing all of those schools have in common is that they hired a Coach with past success as a HEAD COACH in division 1 football to turn them around. Probably will take us longer. Pruitt will have to learn things that those guys have already experienced along the way.

The university is committed to Pruitt so it makes no sense not to get behind him, which I am...just saying that the most practical way to turn things around obviously is not the Tennessee way. Maybe we'll get lucky. Recruiting looks good, but it did under Butch, too. ;)

ND, Michigan, and Texas are all back to Top 10 programs. Obviously we aren’t even close, but it shows that with quality coaching and recruiting, traditional powerhouse programs can be restored. I hate that we are taking so long, but hopefully Pruitt can one day get us back into the national conversation (in a positive way).

The recruiting class is a start. Now he has to get this OC hire right. Next, he has to win some games that we aren’t supposed to win and win the games we are supposed to. That is the hallmark of a quality coaching staff and program.

Next year is important. We won’t contend for the East, but we should be at least competitive in every game and go to a bowl. Then maybe we can start expecting to be back amongst the bluebloods.
I think its going to take a while honestly. Our S&C has been so laughable during Butch's time here. We just need to add a lot in the trenches as far as SEC ready talent, unfortunately there aren't many Trey Smith's in the country that are ready to step in day one and actually perform at a high level. I do really like who we brought in with this class on the Oline. Hopefully that gets us on the right track but I think we're still going to get consistently pushed around in SEC play until the line has time to develop with commitment in S&C.

Reactions: CA_Vol
Hard to give one particular example, mostly what I see is deflection.... if for instance when Baylor was brought up having the huge turnaround they had this year from 1 to 8, it was said “ oh yeah like you can compare the situations, like they are exactly the same.” No they aren’t the same, no two situations are, having said that there isn’t any proof that they should have had an easier time than us having a turnaround. Again this is just one example. Me personally I think Pruitt deserves his shot and I pray that he can turn this boat around because I’m tired of sucking, doesn’t mean I’m going to pretend that he is our savior in the meantime without any reason to believe that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is I wasn’t impressed overall with his first year. No I wasn’t expecting 7 or 8 wins, I thought 6 would be reasonable. Heck the record we ended with would have been mildly acceptable if it wasn’t for the way we ended. Their really is no reason to get demolished by a bunch of 2 stars at vandy. Again different opinions don’t bother me, it’s what makes the world turn, what does bother me is that every time someone throws out a criticism of this program they are eviscerated by those who do not agree.
How bout we give CJP the second year that it took Rhule to have the huge turnaround. His first year was better than Rhules 1-11 that's for sure. Sounds like you're the one using excuses with no logic to back it up.

Kinda skipping this part where it was year 4 at Washington State before they looked decent aren't ya?
Seems odd how you used his success after getting players that fit his system vs Pruitt's first year. 🤔

Years 1-3 at WSU for Leach
3-9
6-7
3-9
Don’t come up in here throwing out facts. We are looking for a meltdown based on opinions only.

Reactions: BDP! and hmhawk
I think its going to take a while honestly. Our S&C has been so laughable during Butch's time here. We just need to add a lot in the trenches as far as SEC ready talent, unfortunately there aren't many Trey Smith's in the country that are ready to step in day one and actually perform at a high level. I do really like who we brought in with this class on the Oline. Hopefully that gets us on the right track but I think we're still going to get consistently pushed around in SEC play until the line has time to develop with commitment in S&C.
I think you’re right, and that is why losing the Cade Mays’ has to stop. For too long now, the instate top talent (with the exception of Trey Smith) has gone to Clemson, et al. We have to start winning those battles. That can be mitigated by winning the Morris’ and Whrights, and that seems to be what Pruitt is capable of doing. But he is also going to have to show he can scheme around some of our obvious deficiencies in order to continue momentum towards the top.

Unfortunately, you can add Florida to that list, too. 9-3 and wins over Michigan and LSU put's them back on the map as well. The one thing all of those schools have in common is that they hired a Coach with past success as a HEAD COACH in division 1 football to turn them around. Probably will take us longer. Pruitt will have to learn things that those guys have already experienced along the way.

The university is committed to Pruitt so it makes no sense not to get behind him, which I am...just saying that the most practical way to turn things around obviously is not the Tennessee way. Maybe we'll get lucky. Recruiting looks good, but it did under Butch, too. ;)
I am definitely in a “wait and see” mode with Pruitt. I’m definitely supporting him because I think you’re right, he’ll get 4-5 years. But he has to show me he can get us at least competitive in most games next year. We should no longer be losing 5+ games by 25 points.

What I see out of the bowl game results is that if we had an offense we'd be in a bowl game. A lot of these teams didn't have effective defenses but they could score enough points to still win. Baylor 45 on Vandy gave up 38 same as we did. LSU 40 on UCF gave up 32, Missouri score 33 give up 38. The game today is all about building a high powered offense and even with an average defense you still win a lot of games.
So the team that scores the most points wins, but only in today’s game. I’m pretty sure it’s always been that way. Where do you get your clues ?

Saban effed up and hired Applewhite first year at Bama. Booted him after one failed year and it turned out aight.

Yep.

If Pruitt follows the Saban model on OCs, probably better get used to these searches every year.

Not wholly convinced Pruitt is the second coming of Saban though.

False. Strong left Herman better players.
Another difference, perhaps even more important than the fact Herman had better players...aside from Oklahoma, Texas has had a schedule filled with winnable games the last couple of years. Not games that they "should win," but games that are definitely winnable, even as an underdog. The only specific game a Texas fan might have doubts about their chances of winning is Oklahoma, and they beat Oklahoma this year and almost beat them last year.

Look at the schedule Pruitt had this year - you could mark 3 games as "no chance" before the season even began (West Virginia, Georgia, Alabama). I don't think you would have marked a single game as "no chance" for Texas in the preseason.

Yep.

If Pruitt follows the Saban model on OCs, probably better get used to these searches every year.

Not wholly convinced Pruitt is the second coming of Saban though.
Prolly take more than one year...amirite?

Another difference, perhaps even more important than the fact Herman had better players...aside from Oklahoma, Texas has had a schedule filled with winnable games the last couple of years. Not games that they "should win," but games that are definitely winnable, even as an underdog. The only specific game a Texas fan might have doubts about their chances of winning is Oklahoma, and they beat Oklahoma this year and almost beat them last year.

Look at the schedule Pruitt had this year - you could mark 3 games as "no chance" before the season even began (West Virginia, Georgia, Alabama). I don't think you would have marked a single game as "no chance" for Texas in the preseason.

You’re missing another “no chance” game that was declared unilaterally before the season...Auburn.

VN Store

Back