Some Bluebloods have returned...

Maybe Texas. ND proved they don't belong up there like usual.. Michigan has a overpaid overrated coach that may jump ship back to the NFL.. Still those teams can maker a hire without it becoming a circus, so we have issues.

Reactions: 08Vol and CA_Vol
Tennessee is hardly unique in experiencing a sustained drought. Alabama was down from about 97-07. Even had a 3-9 season in 2000.

The difference is Bama managed an SEC title in their downturn (1999). It's hard to fathom that it's been over 20 years since UT won an SEC title. COME ON PRUITT!

Reactions: 08Vol and CA_Vol
Lulz, tell him Henry. Hey, did you know all Pruitt gotta do is recruit some good players, hire an OC and win some games to get back to being good again? I think he can, don't you?
Sounds simple, huh? Then why haven’t we managed it yet?

Reactions: amorange
After the a$$ kicking Michigan took against Florida, don't bet on them staying in the top ten.

Shea Patterson returning for UM and OSU losing a ton on both sides of the ball. Michigan should have a pretty easy path to 10 wins again in 2019. May be more with some luck. Obviously, losing Harbaugh to the NFL could change that.

TX is number 8 in rivals 2019 ranking. They looked really good tonight and may be good for some time. Herman coached well at Houston and is doing a great job at TX. I hate to have to listen to Longhorn fans when they are doing well.
Don't worry. Their class still isn't as good as A&M's class.

Must be hard being such an enlightened sage, fighting against the unenlightened masses. I've never seen psychic abilities like the ones you have. Must be hard not to use such incredible abilities outide volnation for your own personal gain.Thank you so much for devoting, damn near all of your free time keeping our hopes in check. You are my hero. Keep up the good fight, I know you will...

Reactions: Bret178
Must be hard being such an enlightened sage, fighting against the unenlightened masses. I've never seen psychic abilities like the ones you have. Must be hard not to use such incredible abilities outide volnation for your own personal gain.Thank you so much for devoting, damn near all of your free time keeping our hopes in check. You are my hero. Keep up the good fight, I know you will...
Seek help. We are here for you.

ND, Michigan, and Texas are all back to Top 10 programs. Obviously we aren’t even close, but it shows that with quality coaching and recruiting, traditional powerhouse programs can be restored. I hate that we are taking so long, but hopefully Pruitt can one day get us back into the national conversation (in a positive way).

The recruiting class is a start. Now he has to get this OC hire right. Next, he has to win some games that we aren’t supposed to win and win the games we are supposed to. That is the hallmark of a quality coaching staff and program.

Next year is important. We won’t contend for the East, but we should be at least competitive in every game and go to a bowl. Then maybe we can start expecting to be back amongst the bluebloods.

I do not notice any of these programs playing Bama, Clemson, or for that matter, a very tough ------, o well never mind. Don't guess they do either. (as the bowl games have shown) I know not every team and certainly a good many players don't think playing for their "team pride" (most would say what the hel- is that) now days means anything. But that plays a part in how elite a prrogram is from my point of view.

It don't happen overnight. Rome wasn't built in a day but I bet you could do it in 18 hours. It's just year 2 so have patience youngen. SMDH

Washington State with the too goofy and weird to grace the halls of UT Mike Leach....coached up a top 10 team with the last 4 classes being: 55th....52nd.....51st.....and 46th. UCF beat Auburn and went undefeated last year...and would have gone undefeated and beat LSU this year if they hadn't lost their QB...and did it with a bunch of 3 stars. There's NO REASON UT should be this bad....EVER. The coaching has been horrible....in disarray....and after the way season ended by getting eviscerated by two less talented teams I'm not sure the coaching is any better. I hope Pruitt gets it done but the way the season ended is inexcusable. I'm sick of hearing about how we have to have a top 5 class to compete. Yes the SEC is tougher than the PAC 12. Fine...but we all know Wash St would vaporize the 2018 Vols...again...WITH FAR LESS TALENT. These are just a couple examples of programs with so called "weak" recruiting classes getting it done...not dependent on a top 5 class. I prefer a top 5 class every year....but i'm sick of hearing how now having one as the reason we can't make a damn bowl game and we're losing every dang year to friggin Vandy.
WHOA!! Don't forget LSU was down 10 starters on defense. Don't you think this could have made a difference in the way they looked and played?

As a Vol fan for life it’s hard to keep hearing excuses. At 43 I can remember the vol teams of great. I can only tell stories to my children about how good we used to be. We will make it back but I’m tired also. VFL
As a "vol fan for all my life" I can say you don't have a very long prescriptive of our history. I started on the back "edge of our golden years" and believe me, I have seen several ups and downs. The last half of the 20th century was to say the least "up and down" as we related to "great".

ND, Michigan, and Texas are all back to Top 10 programs. Obviously we aren’t even close, but it shows that with quality coaching and recruiting, traditional powerhouse programs can be restored. I hate that we are taking so long, but hopefully Pruitt can one day get us back into the national conversation (in a positive way).

The recruiting class is a start. Now he has to get this OC hire right. Next, he has to win some games that we aren’t supposed to win and win the games we are supposed to. That is the hallmark of a quality coaching staff and program.

Next year is important. We won’t contend for the East, but we should be at least competitive in every game and go to a bowl. Then maybe we can start expecting to be back amongst the bluebloods.

• ND is a product of their Schedule they need to join a conference and then we will talk about them (they were never that far from a Top 10 program)
  • Michigan won't be in the top 10 and lost their last 2 games by 23 and 26. Harbaugh has yet to even win his division let alone the BIG10. He is 2-6 against Mich St and OSU if he loses to OSU next year he won't be there in 2020.
  • Texas is definitely up and coming but UGA just lost that game due to hangover from not making the playoff. Texas wasn't the better team, but they may have the better coach!
Lets see it happen consistently before we go declaring them back!

Reactions: k-town_king
Kinda skipping this part where it was year 4 at Washington State before they looked decent aren't ya?
Seems odd how you used his success after getting players that fit his system vs Pruitt's first year. 🤔

Years 1-3 at WSU for Leach
3-9
6-7
3-9
3 win seasons! The poster you quoted wouldn’t get “tired” of that! 🤣

What I see out of the bowl game results is that if we had an offense we'd be in a bowl game. A lot of these teams didn't have effective defenses but they could score enough points to still win. Baylor 45 on Vandy gave up 38 same as we did. LSU 40 on UCF gave up 32, Missouri score 33 give up 38. The game today is all about building a high powered offense and even with an average defense you still win a lot of games.

What I see out of the bowl game results is that if we had an offense we'd be in a bowl game. A lot of these teams didn't have effective defenses but they could score enough points to still win. Baylor 45 on Vandy gave up 38 same as we did. LSU 40 on UCF gave up 32, Missouri score 33 give up 38. The game today is all about building a high powered offense and even with an average defense you still win a lot of games.

I agree.

Part of my concern comes from the head coach still talking ball control, power football. That's all well and good but it puts pressure on the defense as much as it takes it off well against these quick strike offenses.

This OC hire is probably going to make or break Pruitt as a head coach.

I agree.

Part of my concern comes from the head coach still talking ball control, power football. That's all well and good but it puts pressure on the defense as much as it takes it off well against these quick strike offenses.

This OC hire is probably going to make or break Pruitt as a head coach.
Saban effed up and hired Applewhite first year at Bama. Booted him after one failed year and it turned out aight.

I think everyone gives the SEC too much credit for being such a "tough" conference. The other conference teams in bowl games havent looked so tough, sans UF. The SEC is not nearly as tough as it was just a few years ago. Its Tier 1: Bama, Tier 2: UGA, and everyone else. Not much different from the ACC or Big 10, IMO. RESULTS matter.

That’s exactly what happens in these exhibition games....that’s why bowl games are meaningless.

Could you list the Michigan games that have meaning and those which don't. I get confused about this. I thought when you had a football team and a season schedule vs opponents that it was your goal to go out and win each one that you play.

Has it now become acceptable for teams and players to lay down and quit for certain games?

Reactions: VolinMC and Bret178

VN Store

Back