Should Tim Banks be replaced at end of season?

We heard talk before the season that this was going to be the worst Tennessee defense in history. They've play very hard and, for the most part, very solid all season long despite losing some good players to the portal over the last year. They played well enough tonight to beat a very good Kentucky team on the road. They look like they're very well coached. Are you joking about getting rid of Banks?

I was neither joking nor advocating. I was only asking for discussion. Which you have provided, I have no problem with that.

Reactions: JoAllan
VN let's just talk football here. Answer my OP if you have an answer. Move on if you don't. No need to get strangely aggressive out of nowhere.

Last edited:
You, sir, have no basis for that assertion. I can assure you, I am no moron. (Maybe a moran, but that's something else entirely.)

The base s is your original post. These kids have been developed and play their asses off for their coaches. They are put in position to make plays, they just have to make them. Banks coaches an aggressive defense. They gamble sometimes and rally to the ball. Pick six wouldn’t have happened playing 10 yards off the receiver like we’ve seen in the past. Furthermore you could tell Taylor knew where the ball was going and made a play, and that’s attributed to coaching. Missed a ton of tackles, and that isn’t on Banks.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
The modern age of college football: have one bad game and fans call for your dismissal, or just one fan who is subsequently roasted in the comments.

The base s is your original post. These kids have been developed and play their asses off for their coaches. They are put in position to make plays, they just have to make them. Banks coaches an aggressive defense. They gamble sometimes and rally to the ball. Pick six wouldn’t have happened playing 10 yards off the receiver like we’ve seen in the past. Furthermore you could tell Taylor knew where the ball was going and made a play, and that’s attributed to coaching. Missed a ton of tackles, and that isn’t on Banks.

You see, CincyVol? You just did something good there. You responded to ideas with some other ideas. You gave good, football-related refutation of my OP. Isn't that better than leading with insults and name calling? Why do that? Just say your piece. The knee jerk need on this board to insult people out of the blue is the mark of juvenile minds. We have many. Don't be one.

He doesn't have much to work with. Got to give UK credit, they were determined to run it right at us and did it well..

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I mean we gave up 600+ yards of total offense to a pretty pedestrian KY offense with us coming off a bye week. Gave up a 4th and 24 at a critical juncture. It was pretty bad tonight and its been pretty bad most of this season, but I think it was sort of expected.

I wouldnt fire Banks, but it isnt as crazy a thought as some are acting like.

Reactions: volinthenorth
Again, go back and read the game thread tonight. There was a tidal wave of criticism of our poor play, especially after a bye week to get ready. We were getting gashed every play. We couldn't figure out how to stop 3rd down conversions. Once again the opposing QB was running free or looking like a Heisman candidate. When we blitzed, it worked, but we hardly ever did that. Our cover guys were always a yard or two away from the reciever when he caught the ball. Even our DL was getting pushed back tonight, unlike earlier this season. So it's not crazy to ask if there's any culpability for the coach. I think winning a close one tonight is making people forget how frustrated we were when the defense was looking like hot garbage. Kensucky just put up an insane amount of yards on us. The question about the DC is worth asking. That said, I do think we should keep the guy. But if I am Heupel, I require him to make some schematic changes.

The game thread is filled with less than knowledgeable posters who complain about everything. Many were complaining about the offense tonight. Quite a few declared us beat in the 1st quarter, while we were ahead because we had one thing go wrong. Don't base any take on what happens in that thread.

The game thread is filled with less than knowledgeable posters who complain about everything. Many were complaining about the offense tonight. Quite a few declared us beat in the 1st quarter, while we were ahead because we had one thing go wrong. Don't base any take on what happens in that thread.

Good point.

Really? You claim to be "ole" yet you type out the sentiments of a second grader? Have you not learned anything about proper human interaction in your years on this planet?
Well just get use to Banks, He's not going anywhere anytime Soon, Sorry to bust your bubble

Volinthenorth,Hell no!

I actually agree with you. But how about if you state why? I mean, who is responsible for our lack of QB pressure? Who is responsible for keeping us in a zone defense that was getting repeatedly gashed? Are these not the same problems we had against Ole Miss and Pitt -- winnable games for us? At what point does a defensive coordinator gettng paid hundreds of thousands of dollars get held accountable, and why or why not? (Again, I am not in favor of firing Banks, but that doesn't make the point unworthy of discussing the pros and cons.)

Yes, I know, my VN friends: (1) "We just won a big game, why go negative?" (I'm not being negative, this is just a question in direct response to our objectively bad defensive play) (2) "The D just had a huge TOP discrepancy, they were gassed!" (Agreed, but were they partly gassed because our coaching scheme didn't get them off the field?) (3) "We are low on scholarships and bodies who can play!" Yes, again, I know all that. My question (and it's just a question, not a call for a march on the athletic facility with torches or for a nocturnal visit to the rock with spray paint) is this: DOES TIM BANKS's DEFENSIVE SCHEME HOLD US BACK? Are we going to be able get to the next level with this lack of pressure from our 3 man rushes and infrequent blitzing or stunting, combined with a soft zone in the second and third levels? This impotent combo seems to give the opposing QB that extra second to find the receiver who turns and sits down in a hole in the secondary or breaks into a gap between our flat-footed DBs.

So do we stick with our guy and hit the portal for better players? Or do we find a coach with a better scheme (and still hit that portal)?
With the roster he has to work with, I doubt he's able to do everything he wants to do on D. It mystified me that we didn't go after UK's QB more. He doesn't do well with pressure. Maybe we just can't cover man to man. Or our rush isn't good enough not to get us beat over the top all night if we blitz. But whatever it is, I don't think less than a year into the system, with our roster, we can really make an accurate judgment. The D has looked great at times and abysmal at others. I think all we can do is hit the portal and recruiting trail, see what we get, and reevaluate in a year or two.

Volinthenprth,Maybe 14 more scholarship players might help.A little depth goes.a.long.way.

I actually agree with you. But how about if you state why? I mean, who is responsible for our lack of QB pressure? Who is responsible for keeping us in a zone defense that was getting repeatedly gashed? Are these not the same problems we had against Ole Miss and Pitt -- winnable games for us? At what point does a defensive coordinator gettng paid hundreds of thousands of dollars get held accountable, and why or why not? (Again, I am not in favor of firing Banks, but that doesn't make the point unworthy of discussing the pros and cons.)

When the defensive coordinator inherits a program that had its best defenders transfer out. Has no depth at linebacker. Very little at defensive line and had only struggled later in games for the most part before tonight.

Tonight was the first time we struggled from the get go. We actually had one of the better showings against Ole Miss this season of anyone. His defense had a turnover and touchdown stolen from it by the refs in that game. We held them to 7 points in the second half. Against Alabama the defense held up for three quarters before the depth issue was too much. Alabama put points on the board late. It has been years since they'd even felt the need to try and score in the 4th quarter.

Yes, I know, my VN friends: (1) "We just won a big game, why go negative?" (I'm not being negative, this is just a question in direct response to our objectively bad defensive play) (2) "The D just had a huge TOP discrepancy, they were gassed!" (Agreed, but were they partly gassed because our coaching scheme didn't get them off the field?) (3) "We are low on scholarships and bodies who can play!" Yes, again, I know all that. My question (and it's just a question, not a call for a march on the athletic facility with torches or for a nocturnal visit to the rock with spray paint) is this: DOES TIM BANKS's DEFENSIVE SCHEME HOLD US BACK? Are we going to be able get to the next level with this lack of pressure from our 3 man rushes and infrequent blitzing or stunting, combined with a soft zone in the second and third levels? This impotent combo seems to give the opposing QB that extra second to find the receiver who turns and sits down in a hole in the secondary or breaks into a gap between our flat-footed DBs.

So do we stick with our guy and hit the portal for better players? Or do we find a coach with a better scheme (and still hit that portal)?
Banks has done a hell of a job with the roster he has. If you can't see that you don't know anything about the sport

Well just get use to Banks, He's not going anywhere anytime Soon, Sorry to bust your bubble

OleVolFan, what is wrong with you? Go back and read (if you actually do know how) my OP. I do not have a "bubble" and I am not calling for Banks's job, but merely proposing a discussion with pros and cons, based on a bad defensive performance tonight that could be construed as his fault, and/or as consistent with a previous pattern. If someone wants to provide reasonable refutation of the idea that he should be fired, great. Go for it. That is why I raised the point. I am not saying the man should be fired.

Your knee-jerk need to lash out at an idea you disagree with is unworthy of an older person, who should know better. You're supposed to have accumulated some wisdom about how to speak and discourse by now.

No

This was the only time all year our defense looked that bad except for the 4th quarters against Alabama and Florida.

I'm going to chalk it up to an anomaly that they played that poorly mixed with KY playing out of their minds offensively.

Reactions: volinthenorth

VN Store

Back