She's Gone!!!!!!

Agree with you but I'm still not convinced that Walz is in play. I don't dislike Walz. I just cannot conceive he would talk with Tennessee (or anyone else) while his team is still playing in the WNCAAT, and if he did, I'm not sure I like it. I don't think a coach that would risk his/her team's success campaigning for a job is the kind of leader I'd select. We'll see how this plays out. I do hope they have someone solid in mind so this doesn't drag on.

So you question a successful coach that would be considering the job, while still in a successful season, yet you "hope they have someone in mind so this doesn't drag on."

You can't have it both ways, if someone wants the first real chance at this elite job in the modern era, they have to make it known.

(time Holly was coach) - (time Holly was coach) = Time she should have been the coach.

It's Party time in Tennessee!!!
Ehhh I don’t know... I mean you’re not wrong, but you can also make a case that having her as head coach for a few years (not seven) was the right thing to do. Call it the Bill Guthridge rule. When Dean Smith retired, Guthridge coached the Heels for three years after being an assistant for like three decades. He gave his entire professional career to UNC. They gave him the keys and let him drive for a few years, and he retired. He knew when it was time to hang it up. And I mean really, if you’ve been an assistant for 30 years and never got the burning compulsion to challenge yourself more, to go take over your own program, there’s probably a reason. And there’s nothing wrong with being that assistant. I’d have had no problem at all with Warlick coaching for a few years and then stepping aside. But you do it while there are still links to your predecessor, while you’re still recruiting kids who are going to come play with the kids that Pat coached (or Dean coached).

Um, no... tried the 'No Head Coach Experience' route and that's what got us to where we are now. Just because someone played for the Lady Vols DOES NOT MEAN they can coach them... Good lord some of ya'll need to wake up to reality!
Nor does it mean someone who did not is more qualified. Interview any good candidates and make the decision then. I’m open to all - let chips fall where they may.

I like Kara a lot, but I am not interested in another experiment. Which is really what Holly was, she had never been a head coach. It’s a completely different ballgame. Particularly at an institution like Tennessee that’s under the microscope. We need someone with experience as a head coach who can handle the scrutiny bound to come with coaching at UT.
That scrutiny bus left the station a few years ago. We are not as relevant now; hence, the need for a new coach. Kara and Holly are 2 very different people. This should not be guilt by association just because Warlick failed. Let Kara interview if she is qualified and wants the job.

Reactions: orangealways
You’re right. In my haste, I was thinking it was the trainer not throwing in the towel, but it was Balboa. The trainer was begging him to throw the towel.

No worries. My parents owned a few vhs tapes and this was one of them! I can't tell you how many times I watched this movie, and then there was the utter disappointment of sneaking and watching Dirty Dancing after they had expressly forbid me too. I kept thinking, "Where's the dirty stuff?!" Ha.

Anyways. Off topic. Go Vols!

Reactions: dusbelli

This article paints a rosier picture than what was Warlick's tenure. Many unimpressive wins, unexplained losses and few signature victories.

And I don't think one year wonder Kellie Jolly Harper is the answer either. That would be a discount hire and potential reach. This is her best season as far as I understand it. She hasn't been great. I would hope the pool of candidates has a wider net than Waltz and Harper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Hey lady vol season ticket holders, we stuck it out the past few years. It got to the point where it didnt bother me so much when they lost. How much money will get. They should deduct an amount for all the negative records she broke.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Wait a minute! ok, Holly is gone, show some respect, she has been part of UT for 34 years, and being a Knoxville native, don't be an @$$, she's given more to UT that any of you that are praising God for her departure...........you are pathetic. If Pat was still here, she would kick your..................... for saying any of these insults...........bunch of losers =\

Thanks Holly for all your hard work, you deserve a better send off, but this is what College Sports has evolved.
She gave UT 34yrs making money rite.. I gave UT 15yrs spending my money on UT.

I finally believe we have the right AD. Maybe it was a year late, but firing a LVFL and Pat’s chosen successor wasn’t easy.

Hope he gets the hire right.

Better than even odds that Walz will become the Lady Vols new coach.
Just exchange the name Texas to Tennessee.

When we dance together my world's in disguise it's a fairyland tale that come true
And when you look at me with those stars in your eyes
I could Waltz across Tennessee with you
Waltz across Tennessee with you in my arms Waltz across Tennessee with you
Like a storybook ending I'm lost in your charms
And I could Waltz across Tennessee with you

Last edited:
Ehhh I don’t know... I mean you’re not wrong, but you can also make a case that having her as head coach for a few years (not seven) was the right thing to do. Call it the Bill Guthridge rule. When Dean Smith retired, Guthridge coached the Heels for three years after being an assistant for like three decades. He gave his entire professional career to UNC. They gave him the keys and let him drive for a few years, and he retired. He knew when it was time to hang it up. And I mean really, if you’ve been an assistant for 30 years and never got the burning compulsion to challenge yourself more, to go take over your own program, there’s probably a reason. And there’s nothing wrong with being that assistant. I’d have had no problem at all with Warlick coaching for a few years and then stepping aside. But you do it while there are still links to your predecessor, while you’re still recruiting kids who are going to come play with the kids that Pat coached (or Dean coached).

There is a HUGE difference between Bill Guthridge and Holly W. He KNEW when it was time for him to go! He stepped aside with grace. HW thinks she is STILL the answer for the LadyVols. She is clueless!

There is a HUGE difference between Bill Guthridge and Holly W. He KNEW when it was time for him to go! He stepped aside with grace. HW thinks she is STILL the answer for the LadyVols. She is clueless!
Oh I agree with you completely. Guthridge did it right, and Warlick didn’t. Just for me although I know I’m probably in the minority, it’s not 100% about wins and losses, and I don’t really have an issue with Warlick being HC for a year or three even if we’d had the benefit of hindsight and knew she would never be close to the coach that Pat Summit was. No one was going to be. But I appreciate the gesture of a “thanks for your service and why don’t you run this for a couple years”. It falls on Warlick though to see and acknowledge the downward trend and to step aside when it’s time, and it got patently obvious that was never going to happen. Props to Fulmer for making the right call even if it was a bitter one to swallow.

That scrutiny bus left the station a few years ago. We are not as relevant now; hence, the need for a new coach. Kara and Holly are 2 very different people. This should not be guilt by association just because Warlick failed. Let Kara interview if she is qualified and wants the job.

I’m not associating them at all. I have no doubt Kara has head coaching potential. But this isn’t the time for her. Right now the program needs someone who already knows how to be a head coach and lead an elite women’s basketball program. Someone who has experience.

There are far too many things to learn for someone like Kara who has never coached at any level aside from coaching 3 on 3 last year. And I don’t mean just Xs and Os. No matter how great a player she was or how high her ceiling is. It would be a total experiment hiring her and the program can I’ll afford that at this time. Much better to go with a proven head coach with a record of taking teams to the final four. If we make the wrong choice here it’s over for good.

If there is mutual interest she certainly deserves an interview, but hiring her is a total crapshoot.

VN Store

Back