SECT Game Thread: Lady Vols 74 - Kentucky 83

3-pt shots made was the difference in this game --- KY was making more than usual (I believe) but LVs weren't guarding the 3 very well --- would help if Key didn't get taken out of the game by fouls, and if Howard wasn't treated as if she was the second-coming of god --- unforced turnovers are always a plague, too ---- expecting a good showing from the LVs in the tournament --- Sweet 16, at least

Can't trade twos for threes. Hold them to only 5 or 6 made threes and we have a lead in the 4th. Also, when a team is hot shooting threes, usually the worst that can happen is that they miss (three-point shooters are rarely blocked). Even if they miss, longer rebounds often favor the offense.

If you run them off the line and force them to drive, you usually have help. They may travel, charge, step on the baseline, push off, have teammate called for three seconds or moving screen, or try to force a bad pass. Defenders may poke the ball loose or block the shot. There are just a number of things that can go wrong that usually don't happen on three-point attempts. Of course it's a lower-percentage shot, but some teams excel at making them. We knew they were capable from the LSU game.

Hopefully, we'll have a better strategy if we face another hot-shooting team in the Tournament.
I think our offense would be better if we opened the outside shooting up more. It would help TK more. Everyone knows we are going to try to get the ball inside first and they are collapsing in to take that away. Feel like we need to change offense strategy going in ncaa tournament.

I think our offense would be better if we opened the outside shooting up more. It would help TK more. Everyone knows we are going to try to get the ball inside first and they are collapsing in to take that away. Feel like we need to change offense strategy going in ncaa tournament.

I don`t think the offensive strategy needs to change in the tournament, It all comes down to how Rae and Dye play ?. Rae reminds of SC Cooke you never know what you are going to get on offense from either player. Dawn benched Cooke for most of the 3rd and all of the 4th yesterday because of her poor play. If Rae and Dye show up this team can go a long way in the to tournament.

KY had 5 players make a total of 12 3’s. Rae and Tess made a total of 3 3 pointers. Stopping the opponent 3’s and making more of our own has to become more of a priority, hope we work on ways to get our 3 point shooters more open looks.

On a different note, Karoline played well yesterday. The stat comparison does not tell the whole story because Tamari was covered up, and she has the intimidation factor. Still, thinking Karoline may get more minutes, especially while we try to make sure Tamari plays in the fourth quarter.

Tamari played 22 minutes, scored 5 points, with 4 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 assists, and 1 turnover.

Karoline played 12 minutes, scored 7 points, with 2 rebounds, 1 block, 1 assist, 1 steal, and 0 turnovers.

We need Tamari, and the future looks bright for Karoline, too.

They really need to look at getting some of the men's refs to come over for the post-season officiating. For them, it would be like watching a game played in slow motion at that point in the season since they are used to watching the men and they wouldn't miss as many calls.

The women's refs are just the worst of the worst. And I firmly believe they develop grudges and have favorites. Having all new crews would prevent that.
Very obvious on favorites but nobody can do anything about it.

Reactions: Voluble2
KY had 5 players make a total of 12 3’s. Rae and Tess made a total of 3 3 pointers. Stopping the opponent 3’s and making more of our own has to become more of a priority, hope we work on ways to get our 3 point shooters more open looks.

On a different note, Karoline played well yesterday. The stat comparison does not tell the whole story because Tamari was covered up, and she has the intimidation factor. Still, thinking Karoline may get more minutes, especially while we try to make sure Tamari plays in the fourth quarter.

Tamari played 22 minutes, scored 5 points, with 4 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 assists, and 1 turnover.

Karoline played 12 minutes, scored 7 points, with 2 rebounds, 1 block, 1 assist, 1 steal, and 0 turnovers.

We need Tamari, and the future looks bright for Karoline, too.

Let’s just face it……Tamari Key did not come to play……..she was not focused nor was she tough.
The others needed her in that game. She would have made a difference. TK lost that game for us.

Let’s just face it……Tamari Key did not come to play……..she was not focused nor was she tough.
The others needed her in that game. She would have made a difference. TK lost that game for us.

Key will not be physical with them. She should dominate under the basket and score and draw fouls. UCONN will run over her. Sad but true

By this time of the season, Key should not be struggling mor should any other player. Did any of FL girls look like they were struggling? Heck no! This is FEBRUARY! March is just around the corner!!

She IS talented; however, she is not tough enough and not very quick to defend a player.

Key is not going to push her weight around and the opposite teams know that!

We need a post player that is TOUGH! Forget the hair and eyelashes! She can’t see the ball.

Tamari as your scapegoat......pretty weannie

Snoop has balled out the last two games. We're going to really miss her. Another year in the SEC would have really helped polish her credentials for playing post-college.

And Karoline showed no fear going up against upperclass players. If anything, she intimidated them with her physicality. If she can play like that without fouling out, she will be one heck of an enforcer/intimidator. And being able to go up strong and draw fouls will reap big rewards as she makes them pay at the FT line.

Snoop has balled out the last two games. We're going to really miss her. Another year in the SEC would have really helped polish her credentials for playing post-college.

And Karoline showed no fear going up against upperclass players. If anything, she intimidated them with her physicality. If she can play like that without fouling out, she will be one heck of an enforcer/intimidator. And being able to go up strong and draw fouls will reap big rewards as she makes them pay at the FT line.
I also like that Karoline can and will shoot away from the basket, more for the opponent to guard.

I also like that Karoline can and will shoot away from the basket, more for the opponent to guard.

👍 She has passed up a few shots in the past that I think she'll take now with yesterday's confidence boost. Hope Kellie encourages her to take the midrange jumpers and even the occasional three (like Boston does). Karoline also has some nice shot fakes that I wish more of our players would employ so long as they don't stick the ball out to be slapped away.

I admit that Tamari's and Emily's reluctance to shoot away from the basket when open can be aggravating since both of them have decent range and form.

I don`t think the offensive strategy needs to change in the tournament, It all comes down to how Rae and Dye play ?. Rae reminds of SC Cooke you never know what you are going to get on offense from either player. Dawn benched Cooke for most of the 3rd and all of the 4th yesterday because of her poor play. If Rae and Dye show up this team can go a long way in the to tournament.
Rae and Dye both had a good game offensively. 21 and 26 between them. Ky took TK completely out of the game on offense. TK cannot get the ball with 3 players hanging on her. It has to be more balanced. Knocking down some outside shots early in the game will open the inside up.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Howard is one of the most talented and most selfish players I've seen in a while. She's not so much the ball hog that Chennedy Carter was, but her only giving effort when she feels like it is off-putting. I feel like The Three Amigos kind of ran the team and Kyra had a hard time riding herd tge way Mitchell would do, and that helped cause losses. The mugging for cameras attitude of tbeir players is encouraged by the media, but it looks it doesn't take much to start KY wagging.

Danny White needs to have a serious conversation with SEC officials!! His athletic department,across all sports,is seemingly getting the bad end of most calls.
White needs to stand up for his department. Find what the issues are and clear them up!! We are a top revenue producing program for the conference and should be treated that way.
If this problem is not solved it is going to effect recruiting,if it isn't already. Even our girls softball team gets lousy calls way to often.
Time to take a stand and end it!! Heck,I will put together a video of the atrocious calls or no calls Tennessee has gotten if he needs it!!!
What I see is terrible officiating against both teams in most games. Boston just walked with the ball moved both feet to score and no call. Everytime Howard drives for a shot she sticks her arm out and pushed off the defender no call. These are call that need to be made, but I guess you have to miss some. really can't say they are helping any particular team. I do feel they are somewhat biased against Key some of her fouls they let other players make without a call.

VN Store

Back