SECT Game Thread: Lady Vols 74 - Kentucky 83

Do you think any of the UK players look at Tennessee with some reverence because of what they accomplished under CPS. What's Rhyne's record as a player vs. Tennessee? I know there's two losses, but at least 4 wins. Yeah, Rhyne and her crew can chirp all they want at Tennessee. LVs can shut them up by winning games.

Posts like this just make our fanbase look bitter and living in the past 🙄.

I don’t give a rats rear end about history. If you’ve followed my posts I’ve been very critical of the cult nature of this fan base and how I think it’s impacted the ability to come to terms with where we are and how it means going outside the LVFL tree for hires.

At best Howard has won 60% of her games against UT. But she hasn’t dominated us. Until today it was a program that had accomplished nothing of note with her on the roster worthy of the attitude on display.

Reactions: Aladywhovolunteer
I'm sure they'll be doing that soon enough. TN will get healthy and there won't be a Howard to rely on. The SEC is competitive and it's only going to get more so.

They should chirp they won their first championship in 40 years and that's an awesome accomplishment. They should party likes it's 1982!

I can say i'm not bitter or living in the past im enjoying the closeness of this team and see the light on the horizon. Kellie had to rebuild a culture that was torn down and now she has to win. Getting to the second weekend would be a great start.

But i am looking forward to a healthy team next year and seeing what a summer of growth does for the ladies.
I'd be happy to see us crowing about what Tennessee is doing in the present. This season had a lot of potential that got derailed due to injuries, but next season looks promising.

And no, I don't consider you bitter. Just some of the posts from others 🤷‍♂️

I'd be happy to see us crowing about what Tennessee is doing in the present. This season had a lot of potential that got derailed due to injuries, but next season looks promising.

And no, I don't consider you bitter. Just some of the posts from others 🤷‍♂️

Truth! here i'll do some crowing ... We have one of the best defensive players in the womens college, we have one of the best all around guards in the game and our freshman have shown a lot of promise. We signed an all american this season and brought in a good PG. AND we will most likely host at home and NOT have to worry about actually making a tourney!

I don’t give a rats rear end about history. If you’ve followed my posts I’ve been very critical of the cult nature of this fan base and how I think it’s impacted the ability to come to terms with where we are and how it means going outside the LVFL tree for hires.

At best Howard has won 60% of her games against UT. But she hasn’t dominated us. Until today it was a program that had accomplished nothing of note with her on the roster worthy of the attitude on display.
To each their own. Rhyne won 5 of 7 (72%) vs the LVs as a Wildcat. They can run their trap all they want until Tennessee shuts them up. As we're all painfully aware, Tennessee hasn't done much since their last SEC title, so there's really not much of an aura around them.

Spent some time today reading an article from ESPN's Voepel concerning John Wooden. His views on sport in general and women's basketball specifically are very interesting.
Wooden despised men who criticized women's sports. Thought their views were unamerican. But what struck me most was his views about the game being kept pure. Wooden's words were he hated basketball when it was played "without structure and discipline."
Summitt was a Wooden disciple. She visited Coach Wooden once to get his views on the game. I suspect Wooden would have been a supporter of taunting technicals. I know I am. Kentucky's Edwards telling an official last night ...her foul call was "BS." ...certainly falls in the category of undisciplined and can't be tolerated.
I get playing with an attitude. But there is a fine line. Freedom to play loose doesn't include taunting players or the crowd. Allowing it leads to unnecessary and sometimes dangerous physical play.
I think Coach Elzy is a great person and she was critical in our 1997 NC. However, in her interview at half time last night she looked and sounded like she was caught in a hostage situation. Perhaps just nerves... I hope so.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Congratulations to Kentucky and Coach Elzy. Great accomplishment. Kentucky is playing at a different level currently.

DAWN STALEY: I mean, we’ve got to go back to the drawing board. We’re not a bad basketball team, we just played two bad quarters at the worst time. We’ve got to work on just executing, executing on both sides of the basketball. We gave up -- not the fact that we don’t score, it’s the fact that we gave up 21 points in the fourth quarter. We’ve got to go back and see where our defense is failing us.

DAWN STALEY: But hats off to Kentucky. They’re hot. They’re streaking. We’ve been on both sides, this side and the other side, and super happy for Kyra and her program and their ability to weather some storms early on and find themselves as our SEC Tournament champions.

True KY is Hot right now and the move by Kyra to go small is paying off right now.

DAWN STALEY: I mean, we’ve got to go back to the drawing board. We’re not a bad basketball team, we just played two bad quarters at the worst time. We’ve got to work on just executing, executing on both sides of the basketball. We gave up -- not the fact that we don’t score, it’s the fact that we gave up 21 points in the fourth quarter. We’ve got to go back and see where our defense is failing us.

DAWN STALEY: But hats off to Kentucky. They’re hot. They’re streaking. We’ve been on both sides, this side and the other side, and super happy for Kyra and her program and their ability to weather some storms early on and find themselves as our SEC Tournament champions.

True KY is Hot right now and the move by Kyra to go small is paying off right now.
SC didn't score in the last 5 minutes of the game. She SHOULD work on executing offensively.

Spent some time today reading an article from ESPN's Voepel concerning John Wooden. His views on sport in general and women's basketball specifically are very interesting.
Wooden despised men who criticized women's sports. Thought their views were unamerican. But what struck me most was his views about the game being kept pure. Wooden's words were he hated basketball when it was played "without structure and discipline."
Summitt was a Wooden disciple. She visited Coach Wooden once to get his views on the game. I suspect Wooden would have been a supporter of taunting technicals. I know I am. Kentucky's Edwards telling an official last night ...her foul call was "BS." ...certainly falls in the category of undisciplined and can't be tolerated.
I get playing with an attitude. But there is a fine line. Freedom to play loose doesn't include taunting players or the crowd. Allowing it leads to unnecessary and sometimes dangerous physical play.
I think Coach Elzy is a great person and she was critical in our 1997 NC. However, in her interview at half time last night she looked and sounded like she was caught in a hostage situation. Perhaps just nerves... I hope so.
Yeah, because Candace Parker and Diamond never taunted, Tamari doesn't cuss when she gets called for fouls, and Meighan Simmons didn't showboat. And that's just off the top of my head.

Some of y'all are just funny!

Reactions: glv98 and Raebo
They haven’t been blatantly horrid turnovers. They are the turnovers u can handle because alabama hasn’t scored off of them.

The turnovers do not matter in this game but habits are hard to break. It is two things that I hope that next year we can fix and that is our turnovers and how well we can guard the three point line. We are not a team that can overcome 20 turnovers every night. Auburn showed that any team can beat you when you turn the ball over. I was disappointed that we did not learn from that game. I feel the biggest improvement we can make is to focus for the entire game and understand that patience is a virtue.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Hard to say with the way the game has been called. For instance, Darby was called for walking before she even caught the ball.

Just extremely low quality officiating.

O have been crying for the league to review the games and interview the coaches to see if retraining would help. Some of these refs seem to have an agenda other than a fairly called game. I wander do these refs know what an intentional fowl is.

Reactions: Sportslady
At least she and Walker will be more fresh for tomorrow. Kentucky will be playing 3 in 3 days with 3 players who have played almost 40 a game.

Do not believe the hype 3 games is three days for a youngster that been playing all of their lives is not a enough to create fatigue unless someone is ill. Kids play ball all day every day.

O have been crying for the league to review the games and interview the coaches to see if retraining would help. Some of these refs seem to have an agenda other than a fairly called game. I wander do these refs know what an intentional fowl is.
They're South Carolina fans who deliberately come to this forum to bother us ?

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
She has been in a tough situation. Feel like she was coaching for her job.

Do not believe the hype 3 games is three days for a youngster that been playing all of their lives is not a enough to create fatigue unless someone is ill. Kids play ball all day every day.

Apparently you are right about KY this year, but I have seen it time and again in tournaments in which the team who has played more games (especially when you get to game 3 or 4) look more tired and can't shoot well anymore even from the free throw line. What is more amazing is that teams are often emotionally flat the game after a huge upset, and Kentucky had consecutive upsets right before the one against SC. It is amazing they were able to keep their mental tenacity. Do you remember a few years ago when the UT men had a huge semifinal win over Kentucky and then looked wiped out the next day at the Final against Auburn? Kyra deserves so much credit in keeping this team together when it looked like the team was disintegrating earlier in the year.

Rae and Dye both had a good game offensively. 21 and 26 between them. Ky took TK completely out of the game on offense. TK cannot get the ball with 3 players hanging on her. It has to be more balanced. Knocking down some outside shots early in the game will open the inside up.
Rae scored 16 points, Alexus 26. No one else scored over 7.

Congratulations to Kentucky and Coach Elzy. Great accomplishment. Kentucky is playing at a different level currently.

When I posted this early, I forgot to Congratulate LVFL Kentucky Associate Head Coach Niya Butts.
The most bizarre sideline histrionics I have ever seen involved Coach Butts. During a game with Baylor, after a bucket by Niya at the buzzer, Coach Mulkey laid down on her back with her arms and legs in the air and began to shake them uncontrollably. She looked like a dying roach. Incredible show. Funny actually.
Also shout-out to Coach Mitchell who was instrumental in building the Kentucky program. As a former Coach, Matthew Mitchell is also a (L)VFL. Get well Coach!

VN Store

Back