SEC Tournament Game Thread: (3) Lady Vols vs. (2) South Carolina

nut, you post so much negative against the LV's,,,this post means very little coming from you
I don't think you would look at it from an unbiased eye
sorry, but I have to go with my gut on this one and my gut tells me you wear stripes
That's ok. I didn't expect anything different from you.

Replays and slow motion were my guide. Not orange sunglasses.

Reactions: glv98 and mcannon1
I wonder if SEC teams will be surprised if the physical play they have been able to get away with suddenly becomes fouls in the NCAA Tourney. Right now the SEC women's game has become as physical as any basketball I have ever witnessed. The ability to punch, grab, hold, and push have been on display this season and to even a higher level this week in the SEC. I will be interested to see if Refs from other conferences allow what is being allowed now in the SEC. I haven't seen it thus far in any other conference to the level that it is happening in the SEC.

S
nut, you post so much negative against the LV's,,,this post means very little coming from you
I don't think you would look at it from an unbiased eye
sorry, but I have to go with my gut on this one and my gut tells me you wear stripes
So the slamming her body into our post players by Boston isn't fouling,however if we touch a shooter it's aotomatic foul call. And that strolling across the top of the lane setting "screens" aren't moving picks???

I wonder if SEC teams will be surprised if the physical play they have been able to get away with suddenly becomes fouls in the NCAA Tourney. Right now the SEC women's game has become as physical as any basketball I have ever witnessed. The ability to punch, grab, hold, and push have been on display this season and to even a higher level this week in the SEC. I will be interested to see if Refs from other conferences allow what is being allowed now in the SEC. I haven't seen it thus far in any other conference to the level that it is happening in the SEC.
I don't mind physical play,but you have to let both teams play that way. Last night we couldn't play physical,but SC could...

I don't mind physical play,but you have to let both teams play that way. Last night we couldn't play physical,but SC could...
Yes I think they let it go way to far in that game last night and a few others this week. They call the weak fouls on Key but let but let the grabbing of the shooting arms go unnoticed. I want to see how SEC teams fare in the NCAA as I haven't seen the play allowed in other leagues that I am seeing in the SEC.

Doubtful they let them play this physical at the NCAAs. Something that is in our favor I think as that’s when we turn it over. Teams like Georgia will have a very hard time with this.

Actually feel our squad is pretty disciplined defensively. We just get a lot of “size” calls. The slapping was on full display Friday night with Mississippi and it never got called once. Something I find baffling this season after they spent the last 5-6 seasons calling touch fouls on the perimeter. Whatever happened to the hot stove touch?

Of course it’s hard to dribble around someone when they have two hands on you pushing you off balance. All I’m asking for in the SEC is a little consistently. Even game to game this year it could make your head spin just as a fan. You would have games like the second Kentucky game where it was an all out brawl and the officials were literally “turning a blind eye.” Then games like our A&M game where you can barely maneuver without picking up a foul.

Last edited:
As i said in a post way back at the start of the season. SC is not a team that will shoot the lights out from 3, But they have players that can defend and get there shot`s off anytime and work the glass. At one point in the game 5-9 Z.Cooke shut down Rae and Rae 6-2. She could not get her shot off. I will be the first to say i have not seen a lot of Cooke this season but after watching her last night the girl has some hops and can ball.

Same problem when we played A&M. We had 21 fouls to their 11. We aren’t that much more physical than anyone else. Most of the time watching we look like the less physical team because of the way the game is called. Having a big size advantage across the board puts us at a disadvantage with the whistles. Something that has never made sense to me. The size of the player doesn’t affect how much they foul.

I do believe that this is occasionally due to the fact that almost all officials were...guards. Especially female officials. You very rarely see a lady who played in the post officiating later in life. Knees are too bad usually. These tiny little refs think everything in the paint is foul.

Last night I was getting so mad. Tamari had several nice blocks on Cooke they called fouls and there was no contact created by the defense. T was straight up and Cooke initiated the contact. IMO the big girl gets the benefit of the doubt everytime in that situation. If you wanna be 5’6” and take it at 6’7” then good luck. But you’re not getting any help from me when you get your world rocked. You wanna play in the paint then so be it.

Same problem when we played A&M. We had 21 fouls to their 11. We aren’t that much more physical than anyone else. Most of the time watching we look like the less physical team because of the way the game is called. Having a big size advantage across the board puts us at a disadvantage with the whistles. Something that has never made sense to me. The size of the player doesn’t affect how much they foul.

I do believe that this is occasionally due to the fact that almost all officials were...guards. Especially female officials. You very rarely see a lady who played in the post officiating later in life. Knees are too bad usually. These tiny little refs think everything in the paint is foul.

Last night I was getting so mad. Tamari had several nice blocks on Cooke they called fouls and there was no contact created by the defense. T was straight up and Cooke initiated the contact. IMO the big girl gets the benefit of the doubt everytime in that situation. If you wanna be 5’6” and take it at 6’7” then good luck. But you’re not getting any help from me when you get your world rocked. You wanna play in the paint then so be it.
So very much agree!!! Play in the lion's den you get ate!!

This is gonna be an eye opener for Kellie. She has improved TN from where they we’re yes but SC was ready and credit to them and Dawn... Am i scared of them nope but i am gonna give them credit.

Also, SCs depth played a factor and Re and Rae having an off game we need a consistent third scorer and if she would focus on it Horston can fill that role. Her and TK also i saw something from walker and i was like ok this is why you came to TN she could be a valuable player.

But Pat said it best you win with thorough breads and we need some big names... it can be through the portal and i feel there is gonna be a roster shake up and i don’t mean just losing Re and KK at the end of the year.

I agree with you Cooke had no chance on that play clean block by Key and if you notice Dawn never got out of her chair she knew it was clean. Looks like Mart foot is all well no limping played a lot of minutes. As for Walker she scored but i`m not sold on her at all because her turnovers are just bad. Rae spends more time slipping and falling on the floor then any player i know she just needs to slow down in my opinion. I still believe this team will go very far in the tournament because we have the weapons. I`m still very focus on this season but also to me it`s very important Kellie and her staff pull 2 top 15 elite players in the 2022 class if we want to keep pace SC,GA,A&M,Old Miss, KY, We can all disagree to agree.

Well, we know the trolls are proping up the officiating but the thing is, it's on film so everyone can judge the equality for themselves. No need to take someones word on it as the only data point. t seems to me that the SEC officiating office shoulders a lot of the responsibility for trotting those officials out there. Now, there is nothing left to do other than the game review this upcoming week. Officiating has not improved in years so I expect that "official review" falls on deaf ears. Really sad when you think of it. Just never gets better.

What the team can't do right now is get caught up in the drama. You know it's a concern when both players and coaches publicly comment on how the game was called. Time for the team to move on, work on what was not executed well, get some physical therapy, rest some and reflect back on everything this team was able to accomplish during the year. They have the best tournament resume they've had in years. Fans are excited and trolls are beside themselves and it's a good time to be a Lady Vol fan.

GO Lady Vols

I agree with you Cooke had no chance on that play clean block by Key and if you notice Dawn never got out of her chair she knew it was clean. Looks like Mart foot is all well no limping played a lot of minutes. As for Walker she scored but i`m not sold on her at all because her turnovers are just bad. Rae spends more time slipping and falling on the floor then any player i know she just needs to slow down in my opinion. I still believe this team will go very far in the tournament because we have the weapons. I`m still very focus on this season but also to me it`s very important Kellie and her staff pull 2 top 15 elite players in the 2022 class if we want to keep pace SC,GA,A&M,Old Miss, KY, We can all disagree to agree.

Agreed Dawn knew it was clean. The entire gym did. I think she had another just like that later. Can’t remember if it was one of the other guards.

And yeah Walker and Horston need to sort out who’s going to actually take care of the ball. They can’t both turn it over like that or we are stewed. Walker was aggressive last night and we needed it. If we don’t get those 11 points from her yesterday is even uglier.

Elite Eight would be incredible for this team. I would be very happy if we could make it to the Sweet 16. I truly think this team has the pieces it needs to go even further but we don’t have a bench so I’m hesistant to say we could make a Final Four run. Usually have to have some semblance of a bench for that to happen. Really going to depend on the matchups we get in seeding. I have a feeling they will stick us in a bracket where we will meet another SEC team in the Sweet 16 probably UGA or Kentucky which is annoying.

This is gonna be an eye opener for Kellie. She has improved TN from where they we’re yes but SC was ready and credit to them and Dawn... Am i scared of them nope but i am gonna give them credit.

Also, SCs depth played a factor and Re and Rae having an off game we need a consistent third scorer and if she would focus on it Horston can fill that role. Her and TK also i saw something from walker and i was like ok this is why you came to TN she could be a valuable player.

But Pat said it best you win with thorough breads and we need some big names... it can be through the portal and i feel there is gonna be a roster shake up and i don’t mean just losing Re and KK at the end of the year.
Hopefully Strip has some dog in her!!!! She and we need it!!

Agreed Dawn knew it was clean. The entire gym did. I think she had another just like that later. Can’t remember if it was one of the other guards.

And yeah Walker and Horston need to sort out who’s going to actually take care of the ball. They can’t both turn it over like that or we are stewed. Walker was aggressive last night and we needed it. If we don’t get those 11 points from her yesterday is even uglier.

Elite Eight would be incredible for this team. I would be very happy if we could make it to the Sweet 16. I truly think this team has the pieces it needs to go even further but we don’t have a bench so I’m hesistant to say we could make a Final Four run. Usually have to have some semblance of a bench for that to happen. Really going to depend on the matchups we get in seeding. I have a feeling they will stick us in a bracket where we will meet another SEC team in the Sweet 16 probably UGA or Kentucky which is annoying.

We can match up against any team in the country it`s just that we need to play smarter basketball. I notice we push the ball even when we don`t have numbers Rae, Walker and Horston and that drives me crazy because most of the time it leads to a turnover. If we have the number i`m all for it push the ball.

S
So the slamming her body into our post players by Boston isn't fouling,however if we touch a shooter it's aotomatic foul call. And that strolling across the top of the lane setting "screens" aren't moving picks???

Never said that,,,nut justifies all the refs calls even though they WERE mostly touch fouls on our part...
SC hard fouled us and got away with it often,,reread my posts,,,I agree with you in that SC got away with murder

She can't afford to do that. No depth. But she can chew the refs ass!!! A tech wouldn't be bad. Let's her players know she is fighting for them!!! Has Kellie gotten a tech. this year, I don't recall..

put the no-depth in for a moment and tell THEM to send the message,,,they are on the bench anyway,,,use them for something

Yes
Yes
and YES

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Yes
Yes
and YES

an excellent topic for a thread, post-season

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Hopefully Strip has some dog in her!!!! She and we need it!!

Memvol44: You are one of just a few that has put up the yellow flag. Striplin is 6-2 and has had a fantastic career on the HS level, Making the move to the next level will not be easy for her also remember the SEC is loadded. And with the lack of depth on our roster she will play and could play a lot we don`t know my guess Kellie is that will hit the portal very hard .

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
H
She does and this is where Puckett will bring something to the table,,,she is a Rottweiler!

Miles AAU coach used that term to describe her often...I have seen it in spurts.
Hard to tell about Puckett..she's always 😊.seems somewhat slight..

VN Store

Back