SEC Records since expansion

So you got 1, and where was Jim Tressel coaching at in 2008? I think you've actually got 0.

He was coaching at Ohio State. Stever Spurrier, who was somewhere in the neighborhood of 248-2 against Fulmer, was a little closer. Pete Carroll out in LA is another.

He was coaching at Ohio State. Stever Spurrier, who was somewhere in the neighborhood of 248-2 against Fulmer, was a little closer. Pete Carroll out in LA is another.
You are correct, I was thinking Tressel got nixed by the NCAA sooner than that, my bad. I would have taken any of those guys over Fulmer also, however I think we can say with 100% certainty that neither Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jim Tressel, Pete Carroll, or Steve Spurrier were going to come to Tennessee after we fired Fulmer (or before).

And for god sake's, listen to the company he was in.

You are correct, I was thinking Tressel got nixed by the NCAA sooner than that, my bad. I would have taken any of those guys over Fulmer also, however I think we can say with 100% certainty that neither Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jim Tressel, Pete Carroll, or Steve Spurrier were going to come to Tennessee after we fired Fulmer (or before).

And for god sake's, listen to the company he was in.

Yes. He had a good career. The difference is, those guys were still cranking out championships and 11 win seasons more often than not. Fulmer wasn't in their league anymore (although Spurrier wasn't too far off from petering out himself).

Truthfully, he'd been out of their league for a good long while. And as they joined the SEC and the rest of hte major programs started adding guys that were competitive, he wasn't a guy that you could count on to get anywhere close to that 74%.

But you got a great answer.

Sure, if I had asked if he wanted Kiffin. But I didn't so it was a stupid answer.

I'll give it to you guys, Kiffin left after a winning season and was a field goal away from beating Saban and his bunch and it's been downhill ever since. All I've got is "IF".

That said, IF we had been kicking Ass and competing for championships all these years instead, you guys wouldn't be prancing around like you saw the future and tried to tell everybody what was in store. It would be **crickets**. But this is how it works. Lol.

Bad decisions were made back then, firing Phil wasn't one.

I'm glad he's the AD now.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Yes. He had a good career. The difference is, those guys were still cranking out championships and 11 win seasons more often than not. Fulmer wasn't in their league anymore (although Spurrier wasn't too far off from petering out himself).

Truthfully, he'd been out of their league for a good long while. And as they joined the SEC and the rest of hte major programs started adding guys that were competitive, he wasn't a guy that you could count on to get anywhere close to that 74%.
We just aren't used to seeing long coaching tenures anymore, but historically, even the best coaches have ups and downs, Bear Bryant could easily have been fired in 1970, when he had failed to win more than 8 games for 4 seasons, and had gone 12-10-1 in the two seasons prior, he probably would have been fired nowadays, in which case Alabama would have missed out on one of the best runs in the history of college football which they had in the 70's. Vince Dooley could have lost his job the year before Georgia won the national championship in 1980 and went 43-4-1 over a 4 year period, when Dooley had posted his only losing season of 5-6 in 1977 and then 6-5 in 1979. Hell, it could have happened to Joe Paterno about 3 times, when he dropped off and then returned to go 11-1/12-0, again, etc.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
We just aren't used to seeing long coaching tenures anymore, but historically, even the best coaches have ups and downs, Bear Bryant could easily have been fired in 1970, when he had failed to win more than 8 games for 4 seasons, and had gone 12-10-1 in the two seasons prior, he probably would have been fired nowadays, in which case Alabama would have missed out on one of the best runs in the history of college football which they had in the 70's. Vince Dooley could have lost his job the year before Georgia won the national championship in 1980 when he had posted his only losing season of 5-6 in 1977 and then 6-5 in 1979. Hell, it could have happened to Joe Paterno about 3 times, when he dropped off and then returned to go 11-1/12-0, again, etc.

It wasn't a dip. He had a losing record to every coach at the major SEC schools. He's not climbing out of that.

Tennesse got rid of Fulmer, The barn got rid of Tuberville about the same time. It wasn't the past successes the Universities were looking at it was the immediate future. I remember a lot of knee jerk reactions during that timeframe.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
It wasn't a dip. He had a losing record to every coach at the major SEC schools. He's not climbing out of that.
It looks a lot like those two specific dips I mentioned above.

FULMER

2004, 10-3
2005, 5-6
2006, 9-4
2007, 10-4
2008, 5-7

BRYANT

1966, 11-0
1967, 8-2-1
1968, 8-3
1969, 6-5
1970, 6-5-1

DOOLEY

1975, 9-3
1976, 10-2
1977, 5-6
1978, 9-2-1
1979, 6-5

I agree with all of that except for blaming the incompetent AD. The mob ran Coach out of town at least a year too soon and basically made a man that had given his entire life to the University, a man that turned down Bear Bryant to wear orange, a HOF NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP coach with a monster W/L record look like a fool for firing him mid season to hire probation to be Kiffen. He had earned better treatment from all of the fans, especially the clueless win at all cost fringe NegaVols. Check out his record vs Alabama sometime and let me know when that is going to happen again. The mob caused it and they were led by the NegaVols and everyone that has had internet for the last 20 years knows it. It gets thrown back up every now and again because the NegaVols were miserable to deal with back then just as they are now. They love to dish it out but cry fowl when you serve it to them.

FWIW I'm a huge fan of our current AD as well as Coach Pruitt, this staff and this group of players. I believe we'll be highly successful THIS season.

I don't think Johnny Majors was to happy with his firing either....although CPF definitely delivered the goods (at UT) more than Johnny.

Not too many coaches at UT or nationally for that matter, get to retire on their own terms. Legends like Paterno, Hayes, and even Bobby Bowden were forced out earlier than he wanted.

FULMER

2004, 10-3
2005, 5-6
2006, 9-4
2007, 10-4
2008, 5-7

BRYANT

1966, 11-0
1967, 8-2-1
1968, 8-3
1969, 6-5
1970, 6-5-1

DOOLEY

1975, 9-3
1976, 10-2
1977, 5-6
1978, 9-2-1
1979, 6-5

I think there's probably some Civil War data that supports your point, too. Go research that.

Reactions: AllVols

BRYANT

1966, 11-0
1967, 8-2-1
1968, 8-3
1969, 6-5
1970, 6-5-1

Keep close in mind that coach Bryant was never allowed to recruit the best athletes in his state and country until the 70s. Wilbur Jackson was the first African American who was recruited for football and he hit the field in 1971. By that time, coach Bryant had won 3 NCs and should have had another in 1966. It wasn't just going to the wishbone in the 70s that made coach Bryant the greatest coach of his era.

Comparing football records of head coaches without knowing all the other stuff going on at different times during the decades, doesn't clear up anything.

Keep close in mind that coach Bryant was never allowed to recruit the best athletes in his state and country until the 70s. Wilbur Jackson was the first African American who was recruited for football and he hit the field in 1971. By that time, coach Bryant had won 3 NCs and should have had another in 1966. It wasn't just going to the wishbone in the 70s that made coach Bryant the greatest coach of his era.

Comparing football records of head coaches without knowing all the other stuff going on at different times during the decades, doesn't clear up anything.

He wasn't the only one not allowed to recruit Black players during that era.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Sure, if I had asked if he wanted Kiffin. But I didn't so it was a stupid answer.

I'll give it to you guys, Kiffin left after a winning season and was a field goal away from beating Saban and his bunch and it's been downhill ever since. All I've got is "IF".

That said, IF we had been kicking Ass and competing for championships all these years instead, you guys wouldn't be prancing around like you saw the future and tried to tell everybody what was in store. It would be **crickets**. But this is how it works. Lol.

Bad decisions were made back then, firing Phil wasn't one.

I'm glad he's the AD now.
1562091043461.gif

Reactions: Behr
I'm curious as to what many on here thought would happen when we ran off every coach that was part of a 151-50 run! The fringe lunatic fans that think the grass is always greener somewhere else got us in this mess and it's taken 10 years to finally get a competent coaching staff.
I do not think anything would have been different since the coach that was driving to program into the ditch did not have a clue to get us out.

Kills me how a person takes something so out of context. When our fans and admins treated CPF the way they did, every decent coach we had and every decent coach in the country avoided us like the plague. It was one of those consequences that our brilliant minded NegaVols didn't count on. In essence, when we treated Fulmer like an idiot every decent coach in the country Xed us off their future destinations list. Coaching stability is a real thing I feel, and before you mention the cheating commies down in Tuscaloosa it's yet to be seen what happens to them after so much coaching turnover. Their defense has clearly gotten worse since Kirby and CJP have left. If we can keep our current staff together a few years I feel like we can have a successful football program the next few years.
Remind me of who came after your great coach after he was so unjustly fired.

It was a southern thing. But that wasn't Fulmer or Dooley's problem when they hit their skid. Throwing up stats doesn't make everyone equal.

So the Bear only lost to Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy, and LSU in 1969 and Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU, and Auburn in 1970 because he didn't have any black players?

This is what I don't understand about Alabama fans, you legitimately have so much to undisputedly take pride in, why torpedo yourself with such preposterous claims?

If the growth of Blockbuster Video continues on the same trend from 1990-2000 you guys can all be millionaires if you invest everything you have in their stock right now. Please don't miss out on this opportunity.

I'm curious as to what many on here thought would happen when we ran off every coach that was part of a 151-50 run! The fringe lunatic fans that think the grass is always greener somewhere else got us in this mess and it's taken 10 years to finally get a competent coaching staff.
Fulmer got himself fired, in my opinion. I love Fulmer dont get me wrong, but he would have been gone before 2008 if Cutcliffe wouldnt have come back. Thats who I believe his success in 07 and 08 can be tied to. He was 39-24 from the 04 season to 08. Without Cutcliffe he was 20-16. Even that 2004 season that had 10 wins he was barely winning. Only 4 wins in that season were 14 points or more and only 1(South Carolina) was from the SEC. That included a 2-9 Vandy team, 2-9 Kentucky, and a 4- 7 Ole Miss.

Reactions: onevol74
Know what Tennessee's record on the CBS 3:30 game is since 2008?

5-25. Three of the wins came in a single year, 2016.

VN Store

Back