SEC Records since expansion

Haha, well with some things I agree, but this is different. IMO anyway.

I see others saying they never wanted him and was glad he left because "he would have had us under all kinds of NCAA sanctions". Nobody knows that, just like nobody knew what was around the corner from firing Phil. Hell, if @PulaskiVolFan had a choice to keep Kiffin, go to Atlanta in 10, go to Atlanta in 11 and win it, then win it again in 14 and play in tbe NC... OR go the route we went, what's he gonna do? How the F is that any different? It's not. Lol.

Polish that Turd Pulaski. Haha.
I never wanted Kiffin. We went from Class to classless with that hire.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
Awesome! That's not what I asked.
Your question was pointless as Kiffen was never going to lead us anywhere. His little mistress/mercedes/car wreck early in his tenure in Knoxville was a sure sign. I can't stand win at all cost coaches or programs and I think there are many older fans that feel the same.

No offense, I enjoy talking to all you guys regularly, but the "nobody would be saying firing Fulmer was a mistake if things hadn't gotten much worse after we fired him" argument is not very compelling. It's not like there weren't A LOT of people in the fanbase saying it was a mistake at the time it happened and making essentially the same arguments about the difficulty of finding a comparable replacement.

They errywhure now.

I always thought it was no coincidence that the program was in such positive shape while Dickey and Fulmer were together.. and in decline with Hamilton taking over in the other role. Simply looking at the whole picture made me feel he was a larger part of the issue.

Would have rather seen Mike replaced and observed the results first. Absolutely didn't want him hiring a HC after the results of his interference with the OC position.

Expected negatives based solely on the information at hand, would even go as far as to say "likely".

Kiffin's desire for USC south and their overall inability to adjust to non "big city life" suggested he would jump if given the chance, imo. Personally believe he would've even taken UCLA or Miami etc.. if the money was there also. Was surprised it happened after 1 season, I figured after year 2. Once again, all based solely on information at hand.

I have zero issues fully admitting that I know absolutely nothing of clairvoyance. I'm still surprised how long it takes to find my keys, so I can assure you, delusions of second sight has no bearing.
that's all fine well and good. that's making a reasonable determination based on information you trust at the time.

it's a far cry from coming back here a decade later and say "see told ya so".....

Reactions: Behr
They didn’t panic imo. They were lying in wait, waiting for the opportunity to fire Fulmer at the earliest opportunity. Couldn’t do it in 2007 when he won 10 games and the East.....were salivating in 2008 when the season started poorly and fired him, disgracefully, mid season.

You know, I tend to agree with this. Reminds me a lot of 2017 too.

Your question was pointless as Kiffen was never going to lead us anywhere. His little mistress/mercedes/car wreck early in his tenure in Knoxville was a sure sign. [VIDEO=]I can't stand win at all cost coaches or programs[/VIDEO] and I think there are many older fans that feel the same.

This whole discussion is pointless, Einstein.

Edit: And as for the bold....

The Fulmer Cup | Standings

Reactions: jakez4ut
You are CLUELESS with NO FACTS! The FACT that you said fans ran Cutcliffe off SHOWS YOUR IGNORANCE! UT hired the wrong HC in the first place. FULMER was riding CUTCLIFFE's success! Had Cutcliffe been promoted to HC and Fulmer let go. Eli Manning comes to UT instead of Ole Miss and UT would have probably been one of the winningest teams in the SEC the last decade with CDC as HC!!! Fulmer was NEVER A GREAT OFFENSIVE MIND!!! Nothing proved it more than when Fulmer hired Dave Clawson and was so excited with David Clawson before the 2008 season. 2008 was the worse offense UT had in 30 years!!! Fulmer was always the HC that was a very good recruiter and had all the donors in his back pocket, nothing more. Cutcliffe and Chavis were the GREAT COACHES on the staff during Fulmer's tenure, NOT FULMER.

None of that would have never happened. Fulmer was never going to voluntarily step down. Therefore, CDC was not going to be the coach here at that time. The Ole Miss deal had been in the works. If they hired Cut, Eli was going there and that was the deal with Ole Miss and the Mannings.

The entire deal with Clawson and the recruiting of Boyd and the other QB is because Fulmer knew how offenses were evolving and he knew what was going to happen. Just look at what Saban did with Kiffin. He sent him to some team out west to watch their offense. Saban knew that he was going to have to change and he absolutely hates the spread and hurry up offense. The problem Fulmer faced had two parts. One, we did not have the personnel to run the spread. The QB was the main part of that problem. Two, we are Tennessee so that meant we are an I or Pro I formation team.

Had Fulmer not had such a dismal '05 campaign and the program not fallen since '01, he may have been able to survive the '08 season.

Last edited:
that's all fine well and good. that's making a reasonable determination based on information you trust at the time.

it's a far cry from coming back here a decade later and say "see told ya so".....
Lol, got you. I picked up at your and Behr's posts.
And I'm on the opposite end. Disagreed with the decision vehemently at the time and yet, hardly mentioned it since. Still after all we've been through, some scoff at my suggestion of how it could've been handled differently.

In other words, I get a "told ya so" as if there's been something to suggest that it went well 😅

Lol, got you. I picked up at your and Behr's posts.
And I'm on the opposite end. Disagreed with the decision vehemently at the time and yet, hardly mentioned it since. Still after all we've been through, some scoff at my suggestion of how it could've been handled differently.

In other words, I get a "told ya so" as if there's been something to suggest that it went well 😅
lol, well it definitley didn't go well, and i tend to agree with you about Hammy. i wasn't opposed to it, but didn't like how it went down. i'll just leave it at that.

things are looking up now, much rather see where we go from here, than re hash how we got here.......

Reactions: chargervol
The only people in the game, at the time we fired Fulmer, who would have been sure fire upgrades, would have been Saban or Meyer.

Absolutely hysterical. If that were the case, Phil would have immediately received a monster contract at a big time school.

Absolutely hysterical. If that were the case, Phil would have immediately received a monster contract at a big time school.
OK, sweet, name some more coaches who were active in the game at the time, with a .745 career winning percentage, a national championship, and at least 3 AP Top 10 finishes. I'll wait.

it doesn't matter. it didn't happen. and the reasons it didn't happen are the same today as they were 10+ years ago.

he's the AD now..........move on.

it doesn't matter. it didn't happen. and the reasons it didn't happen are the same today as they were 10+ years ago.

he's the AD now..........move on.

Not to prolong this discussion, but there are 10 years of data now. I wouldn't care, it's just the anti-Fulmerites were awfully cocksure back in the day it was "fulmerize" this and "fulmerize" that. You don't here much of that term anymore, LOL.

Not to prolong this discussion, but there are 10 years of data now. I wouldn't care, it's just the anti-Fulmerites were awfully cocksure back in the day it was "fulmerize" this and "fulmerize" that. You don't here much of that term anymore, LOL.
So?

OK, sweet, name some more coaches who were active in the game at the time, with a .745 career winning percentage, a national championship, and at least 3 AP Top 10 finishes. I'll wait.

Uh-huh. And you think the trajectory of his coaching success was pointing to similar results from 2008 onward?

Also, Jim Tressel.

We won as many championships in those ten years as we did in the last ten of the Fulmer era.

"I hope I’m wrong about 2019. But the best predictor of the immediate future is the immediate past."

That's how they sell football magazines and fight wars.

Guys. Don't mean to cause a panic here. But, Mark Richt is currently unemployed, has a 70+% winning percentage, multiple top 5 AP finishes, and multiple SEC championships. The path to SEC dominance is clear. We must hire the guy Butch curbstomped.

Guys. Don't mean to cause a panic here. But, Mark Richt is currently unemployed, has a 70+% winning percentage, multiple top 5 AP finishes, and multiple SEC championships. The path to SEC dominance is clear. We must hire the guy Butch curbstomped.

Richt has no national championships. Nice try though. Also Botch was 2-3 against Richt and I love how you describe a 38-31 win and a 34-31 win as a "curbstomping", that's more of an indictment of where we are than anything else that has been posted in this thread.

Uh-huh. And you think the trajectory of his coaching success was pointing to similar results from 2008 onward?

Also, Jim Tressel.
Where was Jim Tressel coaching at in 2008?

VN Store

Back