SEC Expansion What If - SDS Article

My point was that Duke does not have a fanbase throughout NC. In the same way as Vandy doesn't have a following in Memphis, Martin, Tri-Cites, etc. , Duke doesn't have a one in Asheville, Charlotte, Greenville, Wilmington, etc. The bulk of their students are not NC residents and do not remain in NC after graduation. Duke is not important to sports fans in NC

I know Duke doesn’t have UNC’s fan base, but comparing Duke and Vandy in each state is not close to equal. Wake and Vandy would be a much more similar comparison.

Texas expects to run any conference it joins. It might be fun to encourage them for a bit and then harshly slap them to the curb.

FSU had their chance and chose the slowly sinking path to irrelevancy.

Georgia Tech left us.....bunch of turds. Even the next door Varsity sports a red and black color scheme.

Maybe Oklahoma and Miami. I like the OK fan base and the West needs another powerhouse to further humble A&M. I don't really care for Miami but it would be fun to hear UF whine.

Texas expects to run any conference it joins. It might be fun to encourage them for a bit and then harshly slap them to the curb.

FSU had their chance and chose the slowly sinking path to irrelevancy.

Georgia Tech left us.....bunch of turds. Even the next door Varsity sports a red and black color scheme.

Maybe Oklahoma and Miami. I like the OK fan base and the West needs another powerhouse to further humble A&M. I don't really care for Miami but it would be fun to hear UF whine.
Miami's home attendance in Hard Rock Stadium would rival Vanderbilt's

Duke has fans all over including a significant number in NC.

Duke 2019 football home attendance:
NC At&T - 38,313
Pitt - 22,610
GA Tech - 21,741
Notre Dame - 40,004
Syracuse - 16,286
Miami - 15,913

Throw out the "packed house" games with ND and NC AT&T which were likely mostly visiting fans, the don't even average 20k a game.

Mizzou is a unique media market also. KC and STL.

I understand that but did their addition really add to viewership? I do a lot of business in MO and most of the people I deal with couldn't care less about Mizzu, they're NFL people.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I understand that but did their addition really add to viewership? I do a lot of business in MO and most of the people I deal with couldn't care less about Mizzu, they're NFL people.

This is something I’ve always wondered regarding media markets. The Big Ten was pumped to get Rutgers/ACC thrilled for Syracuse because it opened the door to the vaunted NYC market, but... how? The Big Ten Network had been widely available in NYC 7 years prior to Rutgers joining and tons of Michigan/IU/Illinois/PSU grads call NYC home. Am I supposed to believe that Rutgers culled a bunch of eyeballs?

I get that Mizzou is very popular in rural Missouri and would assume that there’s a sizable enough fan base in St. Louis/Kansas City, but I’d have to be convinced about the extent to which adding NCSU due to the Raleigh-Durham television market/WVU for Pittsburgh truly moves the needle.

I live in MO... and there are a lot of people who care about Mizzou football. But they do tend to be somewhat fair weather. Football attendance more than anything else got Odom canned. He would have survived with the same record if people hadn't stopped going to games.

This is a unique year considering the Chiefs' success. They do in many cases compete for the same ticket dollars.

2.4 million people in those two Metros, which is only 500,000 less than the entire state of AR.

OU and OSU would be fantastic additions because you’d capture the #43 and #58 media markets which, while not particularly huge markets, gets you a lot of eyes given how popular Oklahoma and Okie State are there.

OU and OSU would be fantastic additions because you’d capture the #43 and #58 media markets which, while not particularly huge markets, gets you a lot of eyes given how popular Oklahoma and Okie State are there.

But you don't need both. You get the media markets with OU. Adding Great Value Oklahoma just splits the pie one more way.

App St has an enrollment of 18,000+. They play good ball. They fill their small stadium up often. When they're ready to move up, they'll be a solid addition to Power 5 football.

Reactions: Devo182
But you don't need both. You get the media markets with OU. Adding Great Value Oklahoma just splits the pie one more way.

Agreed fully; OU has the pedigree OSU lacks and I’d conservatively imagine constitutes over 70% of college fandom in those markets.

I just don’t think you get Oklahoma without their little brother. If you could somehow take Oklahoma and another school (VA Tech, if I had my druthers) I’d go for it in a heartbeat.

Agreed fully; OU has the pedigree OSU lacks and I’d conservatively imagine constitutes over 70% of college fandom in those markets.

I just don’t think you get Oklahoma without their little brother. If you could somehow take Oklahoma and another school (VA Tech, if I had my druthers) I’d go for it in a heartbeat.

If you can't get OU without their basement dwelling little brother, it's simply not worth it.

App St has an enrollment of 18,000+. They play good ball. They fill their small stadium up often. When they're ready to move up, they'll be a solid addition to Power 5 football.
That would be awesome to see, but they would seriously lag in other sports. Unless we are going the Big East route of having teams in 1 big sport, but not others, I don't see it any time soon.

UCF is definitely the closest to jumping. Tako Fall put their bball on the map and they have a huge attendance.

I can’t see OU ever coming to the SEC.

Memphis replacing Vandy makes sense from a basketball standpoint, but I would think Kentucky fights that tooth and nail.
Appy State and Houston might be worth a look, but Appy State needs to agree to stop playing the Tennessee waltz.
Basketball means nothing in today’s financial picture. Football drives the bus. There are only like 5 schools where basketball makes more than football.

Houston probably does. Large school that can compete in multiple sports. Location hurts Memphis and Houston more than their programs. Location helps ASU but they only compete in football. Their other programs aren't on par.
Nope. Houston is no different than Memphis. Urban commuter school and there’s not one in the SEC now. Memphis at least has a following in Shelby County. Nobody in Houston cares about the Cougars. They can’t draw flies.

VN Store

Back