SEC Expansion What If - SDS Article

It was hard enough to win anything when we expanded to 12 much less winning with 14 schools. I hope the SEC never expands, but I would be for swapping a couple schools out (Vandy) and get expand into Virgina and North Carolina. Southern states that would fit well with the SEC

Reactions: savannahfan
There are some folks who somehow think other conferences and schools do not have meaningful, historical ties and rivalries. In the past, the UNC v NC State rivalry was bigger than the UNC v Duke rivalry. There was once a tournament between WFU, UNC, Duke, and NCSU in basketball to determine the "state champion". You would be just as likely to get Auburn to leave the SEC as to get any of those to leave the ACC. WFU would currently have the most reason to leave... but they don't help the SEC.
I'd say the A&M - Texas rivalry in any sport was as strong as NCSU - UNC basketball ever was and yet A&M still left.

UNC is never leaving the ACC especially for the SEC who they deem academically inferior to their high standards (in spite of the nearly 2 decades of academic fraud to keep athletes eligible). Living in Charlotte, my experience is they have one of the most conceited fanbases I've ever encountered and have no interest in dealing with their crap.

While Duke is in NC, they are not a "North Carolina" school and neither is their fanbase.

I am completely bored and looking for stuff to occupy my time. I know there have already been like 100 threads on this but why not another one. I just read an interesting take on what teams the SEC might add if they were to expand. Now I do not expect the SEC to expand but it is interesting to speculate just like the article does. After reading this my take would be to invite Virginia Tech, and Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. All proud football schools and a lot of history to boot; it would also expand the footprint of the SEC into 2 more states.

SDS Roundtable: If and when the SEC expands again, which 2 schools should it realistically add?

What teams would you like to see added and what is your rationale for adding them?

I would add Va Tech and West Virginia and place both in the East while moving Mizzou to the West.

Ha. Okay. Since everything else has been sensible to this point, my vote is to add Southern California and Stanford. Not for any actual sensible reason, but just so I can watch SEC teams whup up on jetlagged west coast power programs 2 or 3 times a month. Don't get me wrong, they won't actually be invited to anything like Media Days or, you know, be eligible for the SEC Championship or what have you. Bylaws and such. But we will be happy to give them a part of our shiny new five billion dollar TV package in exchange and I figure that ought to be worth all the beatings and what have you.

I'm not going to do this based on whether it's realistic or not.

Give me North Carolina and Virginia. If you did that, you would have the "state school" for the entire South except Texas. And Texas A&M is no small school.

Never going to happen, but that's my pick

Reactions: SalVolinus
I'm not going to do this based on whether it's realistic or not.

Give me North Carolina and Virginia. If you did that, you would have the "state school" for the entire South except Texas. And Texas A&M is no small school.

Never going to happen, but that's my pick

This. UVA and UNC are the flagships of the two Southern states not currently represented. I would be okay with Oklahaoma as well, but not if they have to bring Okie Lite.

SEC expansion will likely not include teams within states that have SEC teams. Va Tech, NC State and OSU would be ripe for the picking. Maybe Oklahoma if they are feeling especially second class to Texas, but the big time ACC basketball schools in North Carolina? They ain't coming. Va. Tech should have come last time.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Can't think of any I'd really like to add, but there are a couple I'd like to subtract.

A-freaking-men. Of the last four added, only aTm brings anything to the table, and even they don’t bring that much if you drill down any at all.

IMO I think the conference messed up by looking West instead of East. I can live with S Carolina(and even aTm) and if they had added an NC school, Va school and/or WVa, it would be a better “Southeastern” Conference blueprint.

Reactions: Special Ed
I would love for Oklahoma to join the SEC....I wouldn't mind UNC and Virginia...We could have a nice rivalry with UNC...Maybe have that one game a year we could both wear home uniforms to make it extra special....Plus beating them to a bloody pulp in football every year would make me smile.

Reactions: sport3500
The problem with adding Wake is that they probably rank #6 in the state as far as fan support. They are behind ECU and maybe even App State.

As far as fan support just for football, Appalachian State, for the size of theit program, has outstanding fan support. I went to their opener last year against ETSU, they where packed, and are also apparently doing a major expansion in and around their stadium.

They've also transitioned fairly well from FCS to FBS level football, and pretty much own their conference right now. I will be legitimately disappointed if they don't wind up in the Peach or Cotton or Fiesta Bowls at least once in the next 5 or 6 years.

Any schools that expand the SEC’s footprint are the only ones worth mentioning in a serious conversation. So throw out P5 school that’s already in our footprint with the exception of Texas, which isn’t realistic anyways . Virginia Tech, NC State, OU, Okie State would all be the best fit from a money and culture combination. The true gem would be a UNC and UVA combination accounting for the DC/Baltimore markets and the Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte markets. However, neither one is a good fit culturally, and they often look down at us for being inferior academically because of their want to be “Public Ivy” persona. Personally I think N.C. State would crawl to Birmingham to be a member of the SEC, but there are so many bylaws it would be hard to get them away from UNC.

is the Baltimore market that big for College athletics? Seems to me that Maryland would already have a lock on that market (if there is one). UVa would certainly help the GPA of the SEC though + their Lacrosse program is pretty strong (did I really just type that?) :eek:

No more expansion. Eliminate divisions. Each school has 3 permanent rivalries they play each year. That leaves 10 other conference opponents. Play 5 of those in even numbered years and the other 5 in odd numbered years. Every school plays every other school at least twice every 4 years. Highest ranked 2 teams meet in championship game.

I agree for the most part but I see West Virginia as a viable option too.

As far as fan support just for football, Appalachian State, for the size of theit program, has outstanding fan support. I went to their opener last year against ETSU, they where packed, and are also apparently doing a major expansion in and around their stadium.

They've also transitioned fairly well from FCS to FBS level football, and pretty much own their conference right now. I will be legitimately disappointed if they don't wind up in the Peach or Cotton or Fiesta Bowls at least once in the next 5 or 6 years.

You’re right they do have great fan support and I’m all for App State being successful. I don’t think it’s possible for them to be a P5 program, but I could see them come close to turning into a Boise State kind of program . I agree that they have a NY6 bowl in their future.

Reactions: savannahfan
I agree for the most part but I see West Virginia as a viable option too.

No more expansion. Eliminate divisions. Each school has 3 permanent rivalries they play each year. That leaves 10 other conference opponents. Play 5 of those in even numbered years and the other 5 in odd numbered years. Every school plays every other school at least twice every 4 years. Highest ranked 2 teams meet in championship game.

Except for the last part, this really is the best idea.

Reactions: UTwild82
I am completely bored and looking for stuff to occupy my time. I know there have already been like 100 threads on this but why not another one. I just read an interesting take on what teams the SEC might add if they were to expand. Now I do not expect the SEC to expand but it is interesting to speculate just like the article does. After reading this my take would be to invite Virginia Tech, and Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. All proud football schools and a lot of history to boot; it would also expand the footprint of the SEC into 2 more states.

SDS Roundtable: If and when the SEC expands again, which 2 schools should it realistically add?

What teams would you like to see added and what is your rationale for adding them?

Edit: After reading some of your replies, what if no state got more than 1 team. That means Vandy, and Ole Miss or Miss St would have to go. Then the SEC could add 2 more states without adding more games. That would mean a shuffling of the teams from east/west. I realize that the SEC has never kicked anyone out that I know of but there is always a first time for everything.

Whoa up!!! Don't leave out A-Barn having to go too. Remember, they are "the other team" in Alabama!!! This one per state would never happen.
As to adding OU, I just wonder if the SEC might be asking for a problem adding a perennial play-off team to the mix. I don't think it would be good for the SEC or the NCAA for this to happen. It is hard to get two teams in the playoffs now, let alone 3 as would be a valid case in some years if we took on OU. (the same would apply to some of the other sports as well.

It was hard enough to win anything when we expanded to 12 much less winning with 14 schools. I hope the SEC never expands, but I would be for swapping a couple schools out (Vandy) and get expand into Virgina and North Carolina. Southern states that would fit well with the SEC

I would say this about Va. This state only counts as southern because of its association during the civil war. There is nothing
"southern" about Va. this day and time.....

This.

Think about it... Vandy is the red-headed stepchild of the SEC. Basically a southern Ivy League school that demphasizes sports. How is that similar to ANY other SEC school?

Vandy doesn't belong in the SEC.

Except they are a founding member and one of four AAU schools in the SEC. I think they won a baseball national championship in 2019, too.

Why not drop vandy for someone like Miami or Florida state? It would be a huge recruiting boost to any sport to get the Power T back down that way.

The 14 teams of the SEC could realign divisions to more easily provide for continuance of the two longest running annual rivalry pairings - Georgia vs Auburn and Tennessee vs Alabama. Group these four teams with the easternmost member schools in one division. Vandy & Missouri would be grouped with the other member institutions in the other division. Football would go to a 6 division plus fully rotating 2 cross-division schedule. this would provide for all member teams meeting at least once within every four-year period.

Alternately, do away with divisions. Do away with annual rivalries. Rotate member teams in an eight-game schedule. The two teams with the best records plus tie-breaker criteria will meet for the SECCG.

VN Store

Back