SEC Expansion What If - SDS Article

Ok State isn’t leaving Oklahoma plus what TV market would you be capturing?

Just like aTm wouldn't leave TX.

Money talks and OKst mega donor T. Boone Pickens died a couple of years ago. Plus if OK went to SEC, doesn't mean they have to abandon rivalry(s), two I guess if you include TX. Or one if Okst joins instead. Fl still plays FSU every year and UGA & GT.

Teams I would say are in the running and my guess as being the most likely:

NC, 6
NCst, 3
VA, 2
VT, 4
Duke, 13
Miami (FSU is too close to Gainesville), 7
Baylor, 8
OK, 1
OKst, 9
KSU, 5
Kan, 14
Maryland, 10
Pitt, 12
Texas, 11
UCF, 15 (super huge enrollment)

Those teams, whichever are chosen would bolster or add to TV markets in Tx, OK, Kansas/plains, Mid-Atlantic, South Florida and NorthEast.

Some teams would also bolster #2 money sport of Basketball, as well as baseball and softball.

Teams I would say are in the running and my guess as being the most likely:

NC, 6
NCst, 3
VA, 2
VT, 4
Duke, 13
Miami (FSU is too close to Gainesville), 7
Baylor, 8
OK, 1
OKst, 9
KSU, 5
Kan, 14
Maryland, 10
Pitt, 12
Texas, 11
UCF, 15 (super huge enrollment)

Those teams, whichever are chosen would bolster or add to TV markets in Tx, OK, Kansas/plains, Mid-Atlantic, South Florida and NorthEast.

Some teams would also bolster #2 money sport of Basketball, as well as baseball and softball.
Louisville I think would be a possible candidate also

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
This.

Think about it... Vandy is the red-headed stepchild of the SEC. Basically a southern Ivy League school that demphasizes sports. How is that similar to ANY other SEC school?

Vandy doesn't belong in the SEC.

I'm not trying to run Vandy off, but it seems like they would be a better fit for B1G or ACC so they could caucus with the Purdue's and Northwestern's or Dukes and Wakes of the College Landscape.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Retraction
1. A&M - they are an old Southwest Conference school and not geographically in the Southeast. (Yes I know - Arkansas was also a member of the SWC)

2. Mizzou - I don’t need to explain

Addition
1. Florida State - checks the blocks for geographic location and football tradition. Decent in basketball and baseball.

2. (The Wild Card) —— The University of Virginia - upholds southern tradition, great academics, good basketball, ok in football and gets the DC area TV market.

In this exercise, I added one football program and one basketball program. I might be a bit selfish, but I don't want to add two football programs that would threaten to beat us every year. Adding Mizzou has not worked in our favor (yes, I know they entered the SEC during our darkest days).

Reactions: sport3500
Retraction
1. A&M - they are an old Southwest Conference school and not geographically in the Southeast. (Yes I know - Arkansas was also a member of the SWC)

Addition
1. Florida State - checks the blocks for geographic location and football tradition. Decent in basketball and baseball.

2. (The Wild Card) —— The University of Virginia - upholds southern tradition, great academics, good basketball, ok in football and gets the DC area TV market.

In this exercise, I added one football program and one basketball program. I might be a bit selfish, but I don't want to add two football programs that would threaten to beat us every year. Adding Mizzou has not worked in our favor (yes, I know they entered the SEC during our darkest days).
I would rather invite Virginia Tech than Virginia. VT would I think join the SEC while i believe Virginia wouldn't.

Louisville I think would be a possible candidate also

I don’t think UK would allow that.The SEC membership has too much prestige and is too coveted to allow your instate rival to share in it . That’s why I disagree with some saying that School X would never leave their other rival because they are too tied to them. Maybe politically and financially they are, but I think given the right opportunity a school like a Virginia Tech or N.C. State or maybe even OK State would come for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons would be to wave that SEC flag because your rival can’t fly it. That SEC logo on the jersey alone is good for a top 25 recruiting class with even a marginal coach. If people don’t think NC State administrators and fans are scared to death of what Mack Brown is doing in Chapel Hill with recruiting and wouldn’t take a deal to go the SEC tomorrow I don’t know what to tell you. That would be a massive shift in North Carolina recruiting over night .

I have a hard time believing a flagship like UNC or UVA will ever be swayed, but the disgruntled little brother who has big aspirations (like Texas A&M)is much more likely. Vt to get out from underneath the shadow of UVA’s recent national title or NY6 game or States 37 year championship drought while Duke and UNC have won a combined 10 b-ball titles since then or Ok State being able to stick it to OU by recruiting the SEC brand in Oklahoma. Those are all have huge alumni bases that also expand the SEC television footprint into large markets which is what it’s all about.

You are badly mistaken if you think they do not see themselves as a "Durham" institution. They see themselves as an elite private institution with a national and international student body. But their location is historic and it matters to them.
My point was that Duke does not have a fanbase throughout NC. In the same way as Vandy doesn't have a following in Memphis, Martin, Tri-Cites, etc. , Duke doesn't have a one in Asheville, Charlotte, Greenville, Wilmington, etc. The bulk of their students are not NC residents and do not remain in NC after graduation. Durham may be important to them, but Duke is not important to sports fans in NC

My point was that Duke does not have a fanbase throughout NC. In the same way as Vandy doesn't have a following in Memphis, Martin, Tri-Cites, etc. , Duke doesn't have a one in Asheville, Charlotte, Greenville, Wilmington, etc. The bulk of their students are not NC residents and do not remain in NC after graduation. Durham may be important to them, but Duke is not important to sports fans in NC

Maybe the fan base is fewer in North Carolina because of the # of alumni. UNC will always be the head honcho in North Carolina, but Duke Basketball is the biggest National brand in college basketball. I’m sure that will piss off some people, but I think the TV ratings will support that.

Just like aTm wouldn't leave TX.

Money talks and OKst mega donor T. Boone Pickens died a couple of years ago. Plus if OK went to SEC, doesn't mean they have to abandon rivalry(s), two I guess if you include TX. Or one if Okst joins instead. Fl still plays FSU every year and UGA & GT.

Why would we want Ok State? The only reason to expand is to expand into new TV markets and sorry but OK State doesn't move the needle in that area. MO was brought in hoping to capture the KC and St. Louis markets and I don't know how well that has worked out.

Retraction

Addition

More VT fans in the DC area than UVA fans.

Maybe the fan base is fewer in North Carolina because of the # of alumni. UNC will always be the head honcho in North Carolina, but Duke Basketball is the biggest National brand in college basketball. I’m sure that will piss off some people, but I think the TV ratings will support that.
My point was that Duke does not have a fanbase throughout NC. In the same way as Vandy doesn't have a following in Memphis, Martin, Tri-Cites, etc. , Duke doesn't have a one in Asheville, Charlotte, Greenville, Wilmington, etc. The bulk of their students are not NC residents and do not remain in NC after graduation. Duke is not important to sports fans in NC

JMO, but as far as I am concerned which the SEC isn't going to take into account, we don't need any more outside teams. We should have never added A&M or Missouri.

Reactions: hog88
Being originally from NC and having a lot of family still there... I do not believe you are correct. Duke has fans all over including a significant number in NC.

None of those schools would ever get consideration to join the SEC. Nor should they. None fit the profile.
Houston probably does. Large school that can compete in multiple sports. Location hurts Memphis and Houston more than their programs. Location helps ASU but they only compete in football. Their other programs aren't on par.

VA Tech and WVA would be the two realistic options. VA Tech brings a big northern VA TV market and WVA would pull in a big chunk of the Pittsburgh TV market. Both would be better fits than Mizzu.
Mizzou is a unique media market also. KC and STL.

VN Store

Back