SEC East Wide Open 2022

Explain what you mean. Similar to UT in what respect? When? What exact comparisons are you making?

Are you trying to predict the future, 2022, or a past UT team to the next UF team?

You are making a pretty concrete statement on something that has MANY potential directions.
They are gonna throw the ball, and throw it some more. Think Steve Spurrier. Similar to what UT did this year. It will be fun to watch.

UGA loses many, many key players. I know they have lots of depth, but there are some huge shoes to fill......

Vols will be contenders for the East this coming season.....

GBO!!
We will be improved but Georgia will be the SEC East champs again. We may be able to knock off Florida with some luck and finish 2nd which would be incredible from a national perception standpoint.

They are gonna throw the ball, and throw it some more. Think Steve Spurrier. Similar to what UT did this year. It will be fun to watch.

I don't know who will be throwing the football for them next year because Richardson left a lot to be desired in that area this year.

I’m interested to see what UGA does at QB next year considering how few snaps any back ups got this season… things could get interesting for sure 🍊
It will be interesting to see how that plays out. UGA (and Bennett) had the benefit of relying on an amazing defense. I think the Dawgs will be very good on the defensive side next year but nothing like they were this season. UGA is going to have to put up some points to win next season.

From their perspective that's fair but the reality is UT has a great shot to possibly become a clear number 2 in the East if things break right over the next few years. Consolidating that will make the next step easier. While UGA has earned the right to not worry about UT, the folks at UT better be preoccupied on how they're going to make a run at UGA.
The most likely case is UGA gets who they want and UT and UF fight over the leftovers, contending for 2nd in the SECE.

I don't know who will be throwing the football for them next year because Richardson left a lot to be desired in that area this year.
Yeah, like I said, he doesn't really have alot of players right now. I suspect his roster will look a little different by Feb 2.

From their perspective that's fair but the reality is UT has a great shot to possibly become a clear number 2 in the East if things break right over the next few years. Consolidating that will make the next step easier. While UGA has earned the right to not worry about UT, the folks at UT better be preoccupied on how they're going to make a run at UGA.
UT has beaten UGA recently. Butch Jones beat them. If Josh Heupel wants to make things right on Rocky Top, he needs to be preoccupied with making a run at BAMA. Winning the SECEast will not buy him much goodwill if his team gets throttled twice by Nick Saban's. See Dan what's-his-name.

I can't........ others have stated all of the what ifs, I'll rehash. D needs significant improvement. We need to PROVE we can beat the Gators. Don't stub our toes against Ky, and maybe uSC, if Rattler manages to pull his head out of his a$$. I see 8 to 9 regular season wins, which will not be enough for bipolar fans. Consistent improvement over the next three years and I think Heupel gets us there.

Reactions: 1989Vol
I don't want to bash you too hard... I'm guessing your somehow a fan of those two schools?

However, UT was 10th in the SEC this year in pass attempts. The Vols were 3rd in rushing attempts only 11 behind OM and Arkansas. UT only passed the ball 39% of the time.

Reactions: Sarms58
I can't........ others have stated all of the what ifs, I'll rehash. D needs significant improvement. We need to PROVE we can beat the Gators. Don't stub our toes against Ky, and maybe uSC, if Rattler manages to pull his head out of his a$$. I see 8 to 9 regular season wins, which will not be enough for bipolar fans. Consistent improvement over the next three years and I think Heupel gets us there.
What does Rattler have to do with UT's wins? Are you saying that he's so much better than Hooker that they become the better team if he plays well?

UT has beaten UGA recently. Butch Jones beat them. If Josh Heupel wants to make things right on Rocky Top, he needs to be preoccupied with making a run at BAMA. Winning the SECEast will not buy him much goodwill if his team gets throttled twice by Nick Saban's. See Dan what's-his-name.
He has more time to learn how to beat UGA than he does to learn how to beat UF. And... he has more time to figure out how to beat Bama than he does to learn how to beat UGA.

Bama's portal losses are somewhat encouraging but Saban hasn't been short on talent since his 2nd year at Bama. I'm not counting on that changing over the next two years.

UGA is loaded as they should be every single year considering their recruiting advantages. That said, I am still not a believer in Smart's coaching philosophy or game day ability. IMHO, he had a much more talented roster than Saban this year. Should have been two impressive wins. But he has a knack for getting outcoached. I believe that Heupel is an upgrade to a middling D away from giving Kirby fits. The OL will improve and won't always be a walking triage like they were by the time they played UGA. IOW's UT will run the ball better next time round. Only two teams threw for more than 300 yds vs UGA's D. The other one had the Heisman winner.

UT needs improvement on D. Do that... and then it really will get fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: TN1111
What does Rattler have to do with UT's wins? Are you saying that he's so much better than Hooker that they become the better team if he plays well?

It doesn't matter if he's better than Hooker. It's a supposition that if he elevates the current QB play at SC in addition to other improvements, there is potential for UT to get beat if they take them lightly. I'm a bit surprised that I need to explain that, honestly.

Reactions: vettefool
It doesn't matter if he's better than Hooker. It's a supposition that if he elevates the current QB play at SC in addition to other improvements, there is potential for UT to get beat if they take them lightly. I'm a bit surprised that I need to explain that, honestly.
Maybe you should look at your post and consider whether it was clear or not...

It will be interesting to see if either (or both) of their top receivers come back next year. Both had planned on entering the NFL draft but both had late season ACL injuries.
Williams has declared for the draft. Metchie has signed with an agent. So, both are gone.

I pick Bama and Georgia to win the divisions.
Really going out on a limb there.

Reactions: Sarms58
We could use some consecutive #1-5 recruiting classes in the upcoming seasons to realistically sniff any higher than 2nd in the East. Took Georgia a few seasons of load and reload to lock down the East and now it looks like Texas A&M (6 5-stars committed) is doing what it takes to close the talent gap in the West. All the rest is spinning wheels without the jimmys and joes.

Reactions: vettefool
Really going out on a limb there.

Yea, I'm a real risk taker...lol! I think Georgia will take a loss in the regular season somewhere but nobody else in the east (especially us) really has a favorable schedule. If we upset Georgia, we probably finish behind them cause we'll get out annual loss at Bama and probably down at LSU as well.

People have said this basically every year since 2017. When will people accept that Kirby is a darn good coach and is not going to face plant on his own? Next year their seniors will have been the #1 recruiting class, their juniors #2, their sophomores #4 and their freshmen #3 (at least), they'll be tough to beat again.
Except for the fact that Nakobe Dean, George Pickens, Travon Walker, Lewis Cine, Zamir White declared for the draft early. That class wouldnt be top 20 without them. Also James Cook, Jamaree Salyer, Jordan Davis and a few others could have returned as super seniors if they wanted. I agree they still have lots of talent but losing their best players (who could have returned) will take them down a notch or two.

Except for the fact that Nakobe Dean, George Pickens, Travon Walker, Lewis Cine, Zamir White declared for the draft early. That class wouldnt be top 20 without them. Also James Cook, Jamaree Salyer, Jordan Davis and a few others could have returned as super seniors if they wanted. I agree they still have lots of talent but losing their best players (who could have returned) will take them down a notch or two.
Alabama just signed 15 of the Top 100 players. UGA signed 12. We signed 0. Those two have lapped us like that for 5 years running, a handful of guys declaring early doesn't begin to cut into that. We've got to worry about beating the other teams consistently first, and hopefully one of those teams will fall back to earth in the coming years and then we can move up. It's what Majors did.

I wouldn’t call it wide open. As much as I hate to say it ga will be on top then the rest of us. Hopefully we can sneak a win out

But down a notch or two is still better than anyone else in the SEC East.

Reactions: 1989Vol
Alabama and Georgia are still a level above everyone. Texas A&M is recruiting very well also but not sure about them. After those 3, you could be correct.

VN Store

Back