SEC East Wide Open 2022

we cant beat a handicapped Florida team. So maybe we shoot for 3rd
We probably beat Georgia before Florida… that game defies logic when it comes to overcoming their curse over us. We don’t fear Georgia. They may beat us in Athens next year, but watch the game be close if they do.

We probably beat Georgia before Florida… that game defies logic when it comes to overcoming their curse over us. We don’t fear Georgia. They may beat us in Athens next year, but watch the game be close if they do.

Wait, what?

I’m interested to see what UGA does at QB next year considering how few snaps any back ups got this season… things could get interesting for sure 🍊
I'm interested in seeing Georgia period. They have pushed so hard for a title and Kirby to get over the Saban hump... they are celebrating hard right now. Saban comes out every year as hungry as the last. Will Kirby keep his team hungry? Will he be as hungry? It's easy to have a drop off after a NC.

People have said this basically every year since 2017. When will people accept that Kirby is a darn good coach and is not going to face plant on his own. Next year their seniors will have been the #1 recruiting class, their juniors #2, their sophomores #4 and their freshmen #3 (at least), they'll be tough to beat again.

But, but, the fake punt...

We could legitimately lose every single SEC game next season. And I’m saying that as someone who will defend this staff constantly.
Why would that happen?🙄..
Vandy got sneaky good all of a sudden?

Yeah, USC improved. Mizzou did moderately. Kentucky is a pillar of stability. Florida has talent but that won't be a quick turnaround.
And we beat the previous mentioned 4 teams last season.

Tennessee improved as well.
Coming from someone that is very critical of Josh Heupel...

Maybe, but at this point, they're like Bama and just reload
Maybe, but here’s a thought. Fulmet and Tn won it all in 98 and proba should have played for it again in 01. Then complacency set in. Saban is never satisfied. What about Smart, is he a Fulmer or Saban? Winning a title is hard but I believe winning multiple titles as per Saban is much harder. Just constantly being in the hunt is remarkable. So, Ga might be us after 98 instead of Bama with Saban.

Reactions: VFLz15
Tennessee has to play Alabama while other teams in the East don't.

This makes it impossible for Tennessee to win the East.
We get Bama and LSU out of the West and UGA gets Auburn 6-7 and Mississippi State. Why does it always seem like UGA gets a combo of Auburn (permanent) mixed with a down year Mississippi school or Arkansas? Meanwhile we get Ole Miss who goes to the Sugar Bowl or a Pitt team who goes to a NY6. I know it’s not always that way, but it sure feels like it.

Our defense is so bad we can't be talking about 2nd in the east. We may finish 4th. I don't see a lot of improvement in the defensive backfield or linebacker. Maybe we cam get some quality out of the portal but not so far.

Reactions: vettefool
Alabama will be stronger next year. It will be interesting to see if either (or both) of their top receivers come back next year. Both had planned on entering the NFL draft but both had late season ACL injuries. They also lost a starting LB the first week of the season and both starting cornerbacks late in the season. All three could return so it may be a year when Bama returns 15 or so starters. They will be my pick to win the west but TAMU has the talent to play them tough - just depends on how Jimbo can coach. TAMU may have the best talent NIL money can buy. LSU upgraded their coaching staff and always has talent so they will be tough. The rest of the west may have some good teams but no title contenders IMO.
I saw one NFL draft projection that predicted as many as 15 Georgia players getting taken (or signing as free agents). They are very talented but as Bama saw this year, experience counts so I don't see them as strong next year but still stronger than anyone else in the east. As others have posted, I think next year is a battle for second place and we don't have a favorable schedule. I'm not sure how we will do and until the roster is complete via all the portal entries/exits, it's just wishful thinking. There are some really good defensive players from Bama (LB), LSU (CB) and other "good" schools who could step in and become impact starters at Tennessee - just don't know if we are attractive enough for defensive players. Florida has a much better coach IMO and will be tough, but Mullins let the overall roster talent level drop. Kentucky will again be a very solid team - their QB is returning so we might have a shot at beating them again (he does some great JG impersonations). South Carolina will be much better IMO - they really benefited from the portal and may actually have a functional offense. Missouri will be a real unknown with the key player losses but I know we can't count on them to come out as flat as they did this year. I've never seen a team less ready to play then Missouri this year - could have been a big party all week but realistically their minds were still replaying the OT loss to Boston College the week before. Vandy is like a 100 year flood and they've had their rise for this hundred years.

I pick Bama and Georgia to win the divisions. I think we can finish 3rd in the east and win 8 regular season game (4-4 in conference).

Why would that happen?🙄..
Vandy got sneaky good all of a sudden?

Yeah, USC improved. Mizzou did moderately. Kentucky is a pillar of stability. Florida has talent but that won't be a quick turnaround.
And we beat the previous mentioned 4 teams last season.

Tennessee improved as well.
Coming from someone that is very critical of Josh Heupel...

Good point on Vandy. Wasn’t thinking of them when I made the statement. Missouri had a great recruiting class. USCjr looked good down the stretch and brought in some high level transfers. Kentucky is solid. Florida is a mystery but even when they are bad, we struggle.

A lose to none of those teams would surprise me. Realistically we may even split those 4 (USC, Missouri, Kentucky, and Florida).

I'll be the first to say it - we beat Florida next year, still lose to UGA...unfortunately, we'll get caught sleeping against a KY, Mizzou, or USCe and end up 3rd in the East.
I don't think we will be caught sleeping very often this Fall.

People have said this basically every year since 2017. When will people accept that Kirby is a darn good coach and is not going to face plant on his own? Next year their seniors will have been the #1 recruiting class, their juniors #2, their sophomores #4 and their freshmen #3 (at least), they'll be tough to beat again.

Correct, like bama, they just reload..................

Bennett will be back

IMO he'd be crazy to come back. He has no NFL future and can never top winning the NC the way he did in that game. Not sure if he's graduated or not but he's been in college for 5 years. He'll be a folk hero in Georgia forever.

UGA loses many, many key players. I know they have lots of depth, but there are some huge shoes to fill......

Vols will be contenders for the East this coming season.....

GBO!!
They have plenty 4/5 * players to fill those shoes. Top five recruiting class ever since Kirby got there. Only thing I don't know is who will be second in the SEC East.

Everyone in their right mind will pick Georgia to win the east again next year. The talent gap is huge. Sure they may have slow start next season but that doesn't benefit us. We play Georgia in November, they will be clicking on all cylinders. Our only hope to beat Florida is that we can come out the gate in perfect rhythm on offense and our defense actually becomes serviceable. This is one of the very few years that playing them early in our schedule actually benefits us.

Hit the portal HARD. We need talent to close the gap. We’ve got the right coach. We’ve got the right scheme. Now we need bodies to execute it.

Reactions: BAMA-DAWG
Some of you make me laugh !!! Probably not beating Ga or Al … everyone else perhaps yes. BUT anything is possible on any given day. Kirby is not a bad coach, far from it. Personally I can’t stand his sideline antics running around like a 6 year old. Hard to imagine a legendary coach doing anything similar. Some of you ruin the whole aspect of being a fan with all your negativity. Hope for the best and have fun.

VN Store

Back