Search firm for AD

SIAP- merge if necessary.
I just read that UT is hiring a search firm for the AD position. While I understand the rationale, info always leaks so why a search firm unless the President and chancellor do not have a list of candidates, or they want to show a sense of political correctness.

Brent asked a question at the end of the press conference that made it seem like TN had hired the search firm a week ago. The chancellor responded saying that same firm advises on coaching hires as well as AD hires but did not deny having it a week ago. Made me think the university knew they were going to be replacing the coach (and maybe the AD as well) at least a week ago.

Reactions: vol66
Chris Low reporting we could be banned from post season for two years. He is on Finebaum now stating too many people involved and w numerous instances. He just said he thinks similar penalties that Ole Miss suffered a few yrs ago. I can’t recall the penalty they received but has to harm recruiting.

The entire thing is so sad and Pruitt truly harmed our program and we will be further behind that we already were.
hmmmm! Don't think that will be an issue. Don't see this program in post season for the next two years even without a NCAA ban. I'm more interested in how it will hurt recruiting. recruiting is what will be needed to rebuild. If there are recruiting restrictions, this will make the rebuild even slower than it was already going to be.

Reactions: wrharvey21
Chris Low reporting we could be banned from post season for two years. He is on Finebaum now stating too many people involved and w numerous instances. He just said he thinks similar penalties that Ole Miss suffered a few yrs ago. I can’t recall the penalty they received but has to harm recruiting.

The entire thing is so sad and Pruitt truly harmed our program and we will be further behind that we already were.
Did Ole Miss do their own investigation and reveal the problems?

The SEC would not want to see UT get a bowl ban. That cuts into their revenue.

The search firm is to find the most obscure AD possible so maybe they have not heard how disfunction this whole university has been over the past 10 years. Let's face it, would you come to TN if you were a competent AD at some other power 5 institution? I would not.
I think we pay pretty well.

hmmmm! Don't think that will be an issue. Don't see this program in post season for the next two years even without a NCAA ban. I'm more interested in how it will hurt recruiting. recruiting is what will be needed to rebuild. If there are recruiting restrictions, this will make the rebuild even slower than it was already going to be.
It will hurt recruiting because we will not be able to offer pay for play like other SEC schools.

Reactions: wrharvey21
Brent asked a question at the end of the press conference that made it seem like TN had hired the search firm a week ago. The chancellor responded saying that same firm advises on coaching hires as well as AD hires but did not deny having it a week ago. Made me think the university knew they were going to be replacing the coach (and maybe the AD as well) at least a week ago.

But didn’t she imply that she received the info Friday? Someone answered that Steele was hired knowing there was an investigation but anticipated working for Pruitt.

I guess it doesn’t matter b/c none of them were 100% truthful. None of them looked comfortable and Fulmer was Not on the s we page with them.

Agree w recruiting. But some players come to compete and play in bowl games, too. Recruiting will definitely take a hit. Our best bet is to have the NCAA hand down sanctions by summer instead of dragging it out for a year.

Plowman probably didn't expect Phil to "retire" so she didn't have a list of candidates. Search firm will give her time.
Wonder what criteria she gave (will give) the firm? Last time as I recall the candidate had to have P5 AD experience which eliminated all the potential fan favorites.
Lol. Fulmer was forced out. One of the reporters even busted them out on the timeline. Supposedly Fulmer retired when Pruitt was decided on but the search firm was hired a week prior.

Reactions: Wireless1
I heard Joanne Leight, interim AD at Slippery Rock, just turned us down.

On deck is Dave Hardy from the University of Saskatchewan
In Joanne's defense, SRU is just minutes away from the Grove City Outlets. They have a North Face AND a Columbia store.

Where did you get your understanding? Go watch today’s presser and then straighten out your source.

Saw it. And agree with Low and others that he was not on same page as Chancellor and President. I think he was politely asked to retire.

It’s a pretty simple hire. You go hire Jamie Pollard from Iowa St. He has done a good job. Then get him to take a shot at Matt Campbell for head football coach. If he can’t get Campbell, we know he did a good job in hiring Campbell and should be able to find another good coach. No search firm needed.

He’s also hired two basketball coaches that have been poached by the NBA.

Search firms are often necessary when hiring executive leadership positions. Given the University’s horrible track record and the predicament it finds itself in; bringing in outside expertise is 100% the right move.

Using executive search firms are bogus and is a lazy management's way of dodging a key responsibility with which they've been entrusted has been my experience. If the candidate turns out to be a dud they all look around at each other and ultimately claim they had nothing to to do with the hire, it was the search firm's mistake. I've been heavily involved with key management hires with fortune 500 type companies in the US as well as abroad. If management can not or will not be responsible for executive hires personally, not sloughing off responsibility onto search firms and their pool of rejects, then you need new management.

Reactions: Wireless1
The AD search is infinitely easier, at this time, than the Head Coach hire.

VN Store

Back