Saban's Coaches Poll ballot

He’ll say the same thing he did when plugging his team for the playoffs- that they had close losses.
“Close” only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
I’m sure CJH and the Vols will use it as motivation in the off-season and esp when they go to Tuscaloosa

Honestly, I hope he stays…
The last minute of the Bama vs Tennessee game was some of the worst coaching in the history of the SEC.

"worst coaching in the history of the SEC".........absolutely, freaking true. To be honest, I can't believe the Gump fanbase didn't raise total hell over that coaching malpractice. No way we should have gotten the back, much less had time to run 2 plays and kick the winning FG. Peewee coaches know better..........

This team was great, but just stating that UT beat Alabama so we should be ranked #2 doesn't work for me. Yes, Alabama lost to UT and LSU, but UT lost to unranked South Carolina and Georgia. Alabama also was in both of those games at the very end. UT was blown out in both of our losses. If you took UT and Alabama and just applied those metrics to other teams, I believe you might see it differently. I think TCU was garbage and I wouldn't have selected them to be in the playoffs after they lost their championship game. I'm happy that 2 big ten teams got in because it did block Bama, but I'm not screaming that UT was better than Bama any more than I'm going to say South Carolina is better than UT. The best team doesn't always win. Let's just enjoy the year that was. You are welcome to fire away. I'm sure it isn't the popular opinion. Just remember if you say UT is better than Bama, we have to say South Carolina is better than UT.

Reactions: pimo1
Let that man vote how he likes. David Pollack crushed his face on live 📺. He's going through some thing's right now....🤣

I love the Vols as much as anybody, but no team that gives up 60 points to South Carolina should ever be considered the 2nd best team in the country by anybody.

We had a great year and finished #6 in most polls. Looking at the big picture, that seems about right to me.

Personally I would have TCU at 6 and move everybody else up a spot, but other than that there is not a lot to complain about.

"worst coaching in the history of the SEC".........absolutely, freaking true. To be honest, I can't believe the Gump fanbase didn't raise total hell over that coaching malpractice. No way we should have gotten the back, much less had time to run 2 plays and kick the winning FG. Peewee coaches know better..........
I like to think Huepels coaching had a little to do with that.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
He’ll say the same thing he did when plugging his team for the playoffs- that they had close losses.
“Close” only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
I’m sure CJH and the Vols will use it as motivation in the off-season and esp when they go to Tuscaloosa

The reality is when you start using losses as justification for a playoff spot you've lost the argument before it began.

Never thought about it like this. But, boy is that poll ever a conflict of interest at it's very core. If you lose to a team ... pump them upward to make the loss better. If you're battling in the poll with a team ... trash them to give yourself a better chance. If you recruit against a team ... push them down all you can without looking deliberate. Had beef in the past with a school, trash. Want your conference to look better ... puuummp! Pump your own team to the maximum always. I knew these coaches couldn't give a rat's fanny about taking time to research this or watch the games. Plus, some of them have been caught having a staffer complete the form each week. What a joke. As biased as allowing the news media to do it.

Reactions: mpfvol
This team was great, but just stating that UT beat Alabama so we should be ranked #2 doesn't work for me. Yes, Alabama lost to UT and LSU, but UT lost to unranked South Carolina and Georgia. Alabama also was in both of those games at the very end. UT was blown out in both of our losses. If you took UT and Alabama and just applied those metrics to other teams, I believe you might see it differently. I think TCU was garbage and I wouldn't have selected them to be in the playoffs after they lost their championship game. I'm happy that 2 big ten teams got in because it did block Bama, but I'm not screaming that UT was better than Bama any more than I'm going to say South Carolina is better than UT. The best team doesn't always win. Let's just enjoy the year that was. You are welcome to fire away. I'm sure it isn't the popular opinion. Just remember if you say UT is better than Bama, we have to say South Carolina is better than UT.
I've never understood this "quality of loss" argument.

Call me old but judging teams by who they beat and strength of schedule seems to be a better method than by who they lost to.

If Gibbs doesn't inexplicably drop that bunny on 2nd down, which probably takes him to the 10YL or EZ. Wide Reichert then puts us away wit ha 25-30 yarder. Then Nick looks like a god and Bubba goes to the playoff again. Bizarre.

Reactions: Sarms58
Bama #2 and Tennessee #6. Hope someone asks him about this at media days.

Of note, Butch, Doeren, and Schiano all had Tennessee #7. The only surprising thing about this is that Butch figured out how to vote.

Also, Doeren should probably thank us for keeping him at an easy Kentucky-esque job and adding years to his life expectancy.

Nothing worse than a liar. Every one of them knows that what they voted us at is a lie. It will come back to them.

Fourteen points is not a blowout by any definition of the term. SC blew us out; UGA did not.

How about if on top of the h2h win you include our common opponents? We beat Vandy by more than Bama did (even without Hooker) and we destroyed LSU by 27 at LSU while Bama lost at LSU. If you add those things to the h2h result then we should be ranked ahead of Bama, even with the SC debacle.

Reactions: O.G.HomeGrownUTVOL

VN Store

Back