Saban's Coaches Poll ballot

If TN doesnt gift wrap a score with the fumble and return, it's a different game. If Bama isn't gifted a free first down after an atrocious PI call on TN in the end zone on 4th down, thus leading to a free TD for Bama, then it's a different game.

Bama was gifted 14 points. That argument can go both ways.

Not arguing any of that. Just the final :45 and CNS' clock mgmt.

Schiano’s vote was just a typo since he is distracted by all the big time job offers he is getting from top-tier programs across the country due to his coaching prowess being in such high demand.

Lets face it Nick is a Prik has been for a long time. A real Hall of Fame coach wouldn't have done this.

Bama #2 and Tennessee #6. Hope someone asks him about this at media days.

Of note, Butch, Doeren, and Schiano all had Tennessee #7. The only surprising thing about this is that Butch figured out how to vote.

Also, Doeren should probably thank us for keeping him at an easy Kentucky-esque job and adding years to his life expectancy.

Buck Futch

Why does the coach of arkansas tech community college or whatever hole he ended up at even get a vote?
I saw somewhere that Butch got an extension because Ark Bi-directional Tech School won 2 games this season improving from 1 win last season.

I saw somewhere that Butch got an extension because Ark Bi-directional Tech School won 2 games this season improving from 1 win last season.
He's a used car salesman. They are about to figure out they got a lemon. I think he went from 2-3 wins but they have been consistently winning 8-10 games over the last 15 years.

Reactions: volfeeva
You are entitled to your opinion.

But I never said anything about TCU deserving to be 2nd. They don’t, IMO.

I just don’t think we have much room to complain about where we ended up. A reasonable person could argue that we should be ahead of Bama, that’s fine.

And the loss to USC was not a fluke. They didn’t win on a last second field goal. They beat us by more than three touchdowns. We were never remotely in that game. It is what it is.
Respectfully, it was a “fluke game.” Rattler played the game of his life. UT defense played the worst it could ever play. The season data supports it. If TN vs. USC was played 10 times, TN wins 8 of them.

I'm not the one whining. I am very happy with a top 10 performance this year. I don't know how many expected that. All the whining is coming from those complaining about polls. There is a very simple explanation for the polls and I put it there. I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion, but I in no way shape or form can you interpret anything I typed as whining.

I did something different. I looked at the coaches who voted UT over AL. Which includes TCUs coach, Kirby Smart and James Franklin.

I'd like to see these coaches who voted Tennessee 7th, and the one who voted them 8th - Ken Wilson at Nevada - face Tennessee on a football field and see how it goes. I promise you they'd pucker pretty quick if they knew they had to play these 2022 Vols. And I doubt they'd have time to write down 7th place on a ballot while Hooker to Hyatt was torching their sorry asses.

Snark aside, it's clear from this year's voting results that some coaches and some media talking heads do not respect Heupel or his system of play. And some have an axe to grind against UT.

Has nothing to do with that. They just are using their vote to play the game to deny us a top 5 finish because they are concerned we will use it for recruiting and beat them.

People dont cheat the game unless they are worried you will beat them. The ones we see most likely to cheat here are those who are worried about taking their place.

I've never understood this "quality of loss" argument.

Call me old but judging teams by who they beat and strength of schedule seems to be a better method than by who they lost to.

When a greatly outmatched UT teams shows praiseworthy fight in a losing effort, it's derided here as a "moral victory."

When a loaded Alabama team loses to UT or to the LSU team UT manhandled, it's a quality loss and grounds for ranking Bama higher than UT.

Has nothing to do with that. They just are using their vote to play the game to deny us a top 5 finish because they are concerned we will use it for recruiting and beat them.

Heh, okay, I'll meet you halfway. I agree Butch Jones voting us 7th was about denying us a top 5 finish, but I'm also pretty sure he isn't concerned about us recruiting against him - or beating Arkansas State. Same for Greg Schiano at Rutgers.

I know those are cherry picking, I'm just saying - at a minimum, I'll wager those two coaches were grinding a little bit of axe with us. There may be a few more out there. It's a big college football world.

Heh, okay, I'll meet you halfway. I agree Butch Jones voting us 7th was about denying us a top 5 finish, but I'm also pretty sure he isn't concerned about us recruiting against him - or beating Arkansas State. Same for Greg Schiano at Rutgers.

I know those are cherry picking, I'm just saying - at a minimum, I'll wager those two coaches were grinding a little bit of axe with us. There may be a few more out there. It's a big college football world.

I’ll give you Gump, Greg and Butch were just being petty but Saban and NC were strategic. Why Pruitt and Butch still have a vote and Heupel doesn’t mystifies me.

VN Store

Back