Russia Blocks Kerch Strait

Speaking of Pompeo...

Pax Americana: Pompeo tells UN, WTO, ICC to bow and comply with US-led world order

The US will lead a new liberal world order, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declared. Organizations and treaties not fitting this picture must be scrapped or reformed, so that non-compliers could not use them against America.
The vision of the bold new and prosperous (for the US and its supporters) world was delivered by Pompeo in a keynote speech to the German Marshall Fund on Tuesday.
The senior member of the Donald Trump administration said a multilateral approach is failing to produce a world of unrestricted capitalism, so the US should rule supreme – sorry, assume a leadership role – to ensure that countries like China didn’t try to offer an alternative way.

December 15th is when the unification council decides to unite the various Ukrainian Orthodox church into a single entity. Some say the Kerch strait crisis in some ways designed by the Russians to prevent the independence of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from the Russian Orthodox system.

I’m not aware of any “rank” Bush had in the CIA. He had retired from the Navy long before that service. However I’m pretty sure if our military personnel are detached to the CIA they retain their rank.
lol - he ran the entire agency briefly in 1976.

Putin played no "key role" in anything having to do with the Cold War. His highest rank was a middling Lt. Col. stated in Dresden, which was seen as some backwater outpost at the time. Masha Gessen (no ally of Putin, to put it mildly) said "Putin and his colleagues were reduced mainly to collecting press clippings, thus contributing to the mountains of useless information produced by the KGB." He was a hamster on the wheel.

Putin played no "key role" in anything having to do with the Cold War. His highest rank was a middling Lt. Col. stated in Dresden, which was seen as some backwater outpost at the time. Masha Gessen (no ally of Putin, to put it mildly) said "Putin and his colleagues were reduced mainly to collecting press clippings, thus contributing to the mountains of useless information produced by the KGB." He was a hamster on the wheel.
I know he ran the whole agency. But he didn’t have a rank was the question being asked.

And I have zero idea what specific role Putin played but I think it’s silly to just dismiss a Lt Col out of hand. Depends on the Lt Col... that’s all.

hamster on the wheel who ends up as president and rewrites the laws to keep himself in power while jailing his political enemies?

he also made some REALLY powerful friends while a hamster. you know, totally normal hamster activity.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
hamster on the wheel who ends up as president and rewrites the laws to keep himself in power while jailing his political enemies?

he also made some REALLY powerful friends while a hamster. you know, totally normal hamster activity.
He made friends after the Cold War while a bureaucrat in the city government of St. Petersburg. Google Anatoly Sobchak or watch that Frontline documentary about Putin. Good stuff.

Putin was a nobody in the Soviet days - it's why Western intelligence knew next to nothing about him when Yeltsin appointed him President in 1999. He did run the FSB in the mid 90s, but he was a nobody in the KGB.

He made friends after the Cold War while a bureaucrat in the city government of St. Petersburg. Google Anatoly Sobchak or watch that Frontline documentary about Putin. Good stuff.

Putin was a nobody in the Soviet days - it's why Western intelligence knew next to nothing about him when Yeltsin appointed him President in 1999. He did run the FSB in the mid 90s, but he was a nobody in the KGB.
yeah cause the downfall of the USSR completely changed how the FSB/KGB worked. with pretty much the same people working in it, running it etc etc.

yeah cause the downfall of the USSR completely changed how the FSB/KGB worked. with pretty much the same people working in it, running it etc etc.
You're moving the goalposts. I have said that he got in right the right people after the Cold War. Again, look up Anatoly Sobchak and Putin's activities in St. Petersburg after the fall of the Soviet Union. That's when he started playing the game.

Putin didn't become the figure he became because of his days in the KGB. He was a nobody in the KGB, and honestly he was a nobody in Russian politics until the mid to late 1990s. That's why nobody knew next to nothing about him when he became President.

You're moving the goalposts. I have said that he got in right the right people after the Cold War. Again, look up Anatoly Sobchak and Putin's activities in St. Petersburg after the fall of the Soviet Union. That's when he started playing the game.

Putin didn't become the figure he became because of his days in the KGB. He was a nobody in the KGB, and honestly he was a nobody in Russian politics until the mid to late 1990s. That's why nobody knew next to nothing about him when he became President.
there is less than a decade from the collapse of the USSR to his rise. him/his benefactors moved really, really fast on this. especially if you consider that Yetlsin had him picked out before he left.

there is less than a decade from the collapse of the USSR to his rise. him/his benefactors moved really, really fast on this. especially if you consider that Yetlsin had him picked out before he left.
Yes - but it makes perfect sense why. Yeltsin wanted out and he had stolen and helped oligarchs steal billions from the Russian Treasury. How do you prevent the government from coming after you once you leave the Presidency? Put someone like Putin, who was young and didn't really have much political capital, in charge so he won't come after you. Putin is probably going to do the same thing when he wants to leave.

I know he ran the whole agency. But he didn’t have a rank was the question being asked.

And I have zero idea what specific role Putin played but I think it’s silly to just dismiss a Lt Col out of hand. Depends on the Lt Col... that’s all.
You are splitting hairs. I said "rank", but you know good and well that in the context of the conversation, we we discussing his position in the organization and his level of input and ability to set an agenda.

Putin was a KGB nobody. Pappy Bush was a CIA Director.

Reactions: Pacer92
You are splitting hairs. I said "rank", but you know good and well that in the context of the conversation, we we discussing his position in the organization and his level of input and ability to set an agenda.

Putin was a KGB nobody. Pappy Bush was a CIA Director.
A KGB nobody that became the Russian Federation President in 10 years. Oh well was gonna say no F-ing way but we made a community organizer POTUS in about 6 years so I won’t bother with that reply. 😬

A KGB nobody that became the Russian Federation President in 10 years. Oh well was gonna say no F-ing way but we made a community organizer POTUS in about 6 years so I won’t bother with that reply. 😬
I think like less than 10% of America had ever heard of Jimmy Carter in January 1976.

Trump went from a reality TV star to President in like 2 years. Crazier things have happened.

Read up on Putin's post-KGB background and watch the Frontline documentary about him. He was a paper pusher in the KGB with zero decision-making authority, to put it mildly. After the Soviet Union fell, he got in with the right people and was around top decision makers by the end of the 1990s, but even when Yeltsin picked Putin to succeed him he was unknown even to the Russian public, much less foreign analysts. That is what made Putin's appointment tricky for Yeltsin and his associates - Putin was going to protect them as President, but in order to stay on as President, he'd have to win an election in 2000 as an unknown guy. But there was a series of apartment bombings in Russia before the election (some believe these were staged by the government), he emerged as a strong leader who would stand up to the terrorists, easily won the election in 2000, and the rest is history.

I think like less than 10% of America had ever heard of Jimmy Carter in January 1976.
Trump went from a reality TV star to President in like 2 years. Crazier things have happened.

Read up on Putin's post-KGB background and watch the Frontline documentary about him. He was a paper pusher in the KGB with zero decision-making authority, to put it mildly. After the Soviet Union fell, he got in with the right people and was around top decision makers by the end of the 1990s, but even when Yeltsin picked Putin to succeed him he was unknown even to the Russian public, much less foreign analysts. That is what made Putin's appointment tricky for Yeltsin and his associates - Putin was going to protect them as President, but in order to stay on as President, he'd have to win an election in 2000 as an unknown guy. But there was a series of apartment bombings in Russia before the election (some believe these were staged by the government), he emerged as a strong leader who would stand up to the terrorists, easily won the election in 2000, and the rest is history.
But has Trump/Carter/whoever in the US had nearly as much power as Putin?

Ukraine Will Send Naval Ships Through Kerch Strait, official says

Ukraine plans to send navy ships through the Kerch Strait, an official said in an advance notice to Russia on Friday.
That’s the same location where Russia’s military opened fire and seized three Ukrainian naval vessels last month, further escalating tensions between the two countries.

In revealing Ukraine’s plans, Defense Minister Stepan Poltorak told reporters that the movement had to occur “otherwise Russia will fully occupy the Sea of Azov."

Ukraine occupies sea ports on the Black Sea and on the Sea of Azov. The bodies of water are connected via the Kerch Strait, which separates Crimea from Russia.

Ukraine official reveals plans to send naval ships through Kerch Strait: report

December 15th is when the unification council decides to unite the various Ukrainian Orthodox church into a single entity. Some say the Kerch strait crisis in some ways designed by the Russians to prevent the independence of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church from the Russian Orthodox system.

Wow... you talking about trying really hard to manufacture some fracture amongst the people. This is tantamount to having the Southern Baptists in Alabama split from the Southern Baptists in Texas.

Wow... you talking about trying really hard to manufacture some fracture amongst the people. This is tantamount to having the Southern Baptists in Alabama split from the Southern Baptists in Texas.

I'm not talking about anything its already happening.

Russia doesn’t have the luxury to use states bordering America as puppets to squeeze American influence...or states bordering America a joined in an alliance against America....

NATO itself IS the Cold War....and has expanded several times...

What about our actions?

Putin literally wrote his Ph.D distortion on why Russia lost the Cold War and how they would win the second Cold War. He is acting out his own plans.

VN Store

Back