Roster Changes

I have to think this is some rule or having him
Stay in class for academic purposes.

If I had a wager going or just felt like spreading a rumor I'd go with school work took priority. Since the walk-ons are there it wouldn't seem right to exclude a planned redshirt due to some weird rule. I guess if there is one, it would be to limit the bench to 15 players and TN has 16 with the 4 walk-ons.

He's EXPECTED to redshirt, but he could have been put on the floor. A flu bug is another logical explanation. I wish that the UTAD PR department would say something and put the speculation to rest.

If I had a wager going or just felt like spreading a rumor I'd go with school work took priority. Since the walk-ons are there it wouldn't seem right to exclude a planned redshirt due to some weird rule. I guess if there is one, it would be to limit the bench to 15 players and TN has 16 with the 4 walk-ons.

He's EXPECTED to redshirt, but he could have been put on the floor. A flu bug is another logical explanation. I wish that the UTAD PR department would say something and put the speculation to rest.
What if he was ruled ineligible when he reclassified?

I'd like to know if turner traveled to post season the year he sat out. That seems relevant

What if he was ruled ineligible when he reclassified?

I'd like to know if turner traveled to post season the year he sat out. That seems relevant

That's right. Isn't this actually DJ's senior year in high school if he stayed on the normal pace?

Were going to need Josiah and Turner and Bone. Alexander and Schofield will be gone, but I expect Grant back along with Bone. Next year we should be good, we need Pons, Walker and Johnson to keep improving and Fulkerson needs to continue to make strides. The future doesn't look bad at all, now on to finishing out the next 6 games and winning it all. One game at a time, I like our draw overall. GBO!

Many have been disappointed with Pons, Walker, Fulk, and Johnson BUT they are the 4 sophomores. The 2 seniors and 4 juniors were the first 6. That's how I like the program going forward. Those with the most experience in the program play the most and the freshmen and sophomores work hard and compete for the scraps. Of course if a Bernard King type ever arrives they are moved to the top of the order.

Last year Kent didn’t dress at the SEC tournament, he sat in the stands. I think Jalen may have done that the year he redshirted. I don’t know the reason why those guys didn’t dress though.

Last year Kent didn’t dress at the SEC tournament, he sat in the stands. I think Jalen may have done that the year he redshirted. I don’t know the reason why those guys didn’t dress though.

Maybe a sign we are trying to get a medical RS?

Good to know. I don't want any issues with Burns. IMO he's an important team member to keep TN at this level after KA moves on. Burns and Walker should push each other for the next couple of years. I like Fulk, but I doubt that Walker or Burns will make huge progress banging against him in practice.

Reactions: sccshortstop
When you're facing programs that recruit kids who can come in and contribute as freshmen, it's hard not to think we're slipping behind programs like Auburn, LSU and Kentucky. Kent, Burns, Pons, JJ...all seem to be a work in progress. With so many who can't help you on your bench, how do you keep your starters fresh? I'm not saying we need to go 10 deep but right now, we have 6 that we can count on. Maybe you could argue Fulk, but when I see him on the floor against programs like UK, he just seems like he's in over his head. Just not the caliber of player we need to be recruiting. Hope I'm wrong, but while Barnes has certainly captured lightning in a bottle with our current batch of 3 star players, I don't think we can count on this going forward. Prove me wrong Rick.
Some players improve dramatically when they are incorporated into the offense and expected to score. I believe Jalen Johnson will fall into this category, and wouldn’t be surprised if he averages double digits next season. As for Fulkerson being “in over his head” his stat line for Kentucky was : 2-2 shooting with 5 points 2 rebounds one block and zero turnovers in 11 minutes. That’s not bad for a role player. The plan all season was to redshirt burns, so I’m not sure how you are evaluating his level of play. Kent is either injured and they aren’t letting it out, or he will transfer somewhere to get pt. Basketball is weird in that you really don’t know how good some players are until they are expected to contribute and play big minutes, and being that this is probably the best team Tennessee has ever had I wouldn’t be suprised if some of the bench guys end up being pretty good players when they get their turn.

Reactions: Volle
Both Bone and Grant will play in the NBA. Grant is almost a first round lock. Unless he wants to stay in school, he will leave. Most legit places have him going in the first round.

Bone could stay another year. He improved his shot and has NBA handles/passing/athletic ability. Guys improve their stock in the Tourney all the time (DiVincenzo exhibit A). With a great tourney Bone could sneak in the first.

Where is GW currently projected in the top 3-4 mocks?

Between 20-30

IMO that’s no given...when more international guys declare and if some not expected to declare end up declaring then that turns into possible 2nd round very quickly.

Imo GW needs a great tourney showing to get a 1st round guarantee, I don’t think he’s going to excel in workouts against bigger/more athletic guys.

I think Bone and Grant sticks around. Grant is kinda stuck between a rock and hard place. He is too short for forward in the NBA and dont have the ball skills to play guard. That is why I think he comes back and Bone he still has his moments and I think his stock rises with another year.
Turner has no reason to leave. JJ ,his minutes will increase but he has a lot of work to do regardless if he was to stay or leaves. The only 2 players Tn is going to lose for sure is Kyle and Schofield. This team can be as good as this years team. Burns will be on the floor next year. Bowden , has no reason to leave. Pons needs to bust his butt in the off season, he has to develop a shot and learn to drive with the ball under control. jmo
Tennessee wont miss a beat in 2019-2020 if both Grant Williams and Jordan Bone return even with the loss of Admiral Schofield:cool:

Reactions: VolLFN
IMO that’s no given...when more international guys declare and if some not expected to declare end up declaring then that turns into possible 2nd round very quickly.

Imo GW needs a great tourney showing to get a 1st round guarantee, I don’t think he’s going to excel in workouts against bigger/more athletic guys.

Almost any legit mock draft assumes a guy declares, so that won’t be an issue

Reactions: k-town_king
Grant will be back unless he want's to play G-league or Europe, he's not even listed in the first two rounds. Same for Bone. I hope they both work on their 3 from the NBA line in the offseason.
2019 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

Don’t use that site, it’s not any good. The Ringer, ESPN, and NBA.com are much better

Reactions: k-town_king
Is Grant going to grow three inches or get a 40 inch vertical between his junior or senior year? No, so he can’t improve his stock anymore. He’s a guy that will be drafted in the late teen’s/20’s range.

I'll be shocked if he's drafted that high.

We’ll see, you predicted teens to 20’s, I don’t see him getting that grade or being picked there.

I selfishly hope you are right but early last year I was the first poster to mention I thought he was a 3 year guy and you along with many others scoffed at the notion. I think it's at least 50/50 now

A little early to dig deep into who might leave, but I heard a couple of things from the talking heads in the media.

I didn't notice, but was DJ Burns dressed out and on the bench during the SECT?

Many on here and Mark
Griffin think that Zach Kent will be gone. I've wondered if sitting him out has been to get a 2-year medical hardship. Maybe it's also so that he could play immediately next year if he were to transfer... I really don't know that rule. If a player sits an entire year at their current school do they also have to sit out an entire year at a new school? And what we really don't know is if his injury is a chronic situation and it is preventing him from playing. If so, then a medical scholarship could be in play. He'd stay at UT with a scholarship that doesn't count against the 13 and give up BB.

Does Bone stick around? Does Grant stay?

Might Turner leave as a grad transfer? He came in with Kyle and Admiral, so he could potentially graduate and have options.

Jaken Johnson? Is he happy with limited minutes as a role player? He's used up his redshirt however.

Walker, Jr? Another unknown. He seems like he's very well liked. Will he take a big stride forward?

I'd be very surprised if Fulk were to leave. Like JJ, he's already used his RS/MHW year. He's been getting a fair amount of minutes as well.

I guess that's everybody other than Bowden. Hometown kid. Little risk of him moving on IMO.
Wow crazy stuff!

VN Store

Back