Roadmap to beat UGA

Shhh, don’t tell anyone because most people have never thought of this but if UT can score more points than GA I think we’ll pull off the upset.

I can’t help but NOT be worried about Georgia’s offense. If we can tackle better, get off the field on 3rd down and snag a few loose balls…I really feel good.
UGA offense and UT offense are very similar stat wise but arrive there differently. Coach HU does a great job of spreading you out with WR outside the hashmarks and running it inside the tackles. That is a double spread. Heupel also does a good job of scheming his WR open, but make no mistake, the running game makes TN offense hum.

In TN’s wins, you run for more than you pass, over 245 yards on the ground in your wins. In your losses, that drops to 161 yards and pass yardages go way up. Must run the ball.

As for comparison, both offenses avg 38, UGA slightly higher. Both offenses avg 240 yards passing per game. UGA avg an explosive play passing every 5 passes, that is slightly better than Bama 20 and LSU 19. Also avg over 11 yards per play, best in the country, Ga can and does hit long passing plays.

TN has better rushing stats. TN avg 40 rushes per game, at an impressive 4.97 yards a carry. UGA avg 4.94 yards a carry. Roadmap is having success running the ball then taking deep shots on Ga secondary. Ga rushing D the last two games have given up the most yards all season on the ground. Missouri QBs ran for a bunch without Anderson on the field as a QB spy. Huge blow to this defense, he was projected top 15 in 1st round.

Hooker can have a HUGE day, running the ball. Run the ball with play action over the top and it will be a fun game to watch.

Reactions: American_PitVol
After reading this thread I’m throwing my tickets in the Tennessee river and going fishing like I did when we beat Bo and Auburn 😳😳

Never say never, but...

I'll try to avoid TLDR here. UGA is outscoring their opponents 38-7. They are fairly balanced on offense at 190R and 240P per game. They give up 80R and 151P per game.

Tennessee goes 38-28. Offense is 217R, 240P. Defense is 153R, 265P.

UGA's defense is flat-out good. Best UT will face. I don't see UT scoring more than 24. I also don't see UGA scoring less than 28.

Anything can happen on any given Saturday, but if UT can keep this one within 14 points I'd be impressed.

Here's hoping I pop back in here Sunday afternoon with the biggest VN Crow Buffet in history waiting for me.

Go Vols.

The thing is they don't blitz an inordinate amount and when they do bring pressure it's usually just one extra guy, rarely do they sell out. They don't have to. They get tons of pressure with 4 guys and even with 3. I've seen them get sacks dropping 8. Their defensive lineman win their match ups and the linebackers clean up. Everybody tackles well. Misdirection I think is our best bet, hopefully trick them a time or two for chunk plays and scores. Gotta have turnovers to have a chance. Being at home is certainly better than the alternative too.

Folks can talk all the want to about the Ga. front four or three, but this is the real strength of their defense to me. The play they provide allows the front line to play with abandonment as they know the L- backer have their backs. The D-Backs can play just a little "looser" and tend to lean toward longer routes as they know the L-Backers have the front yard under control. Out playing/guessing/fooling their line backers is the real key to me.

There is no way we are capable of lining up and “ pounding the rock “ vs UGA.
Our best chance is to “ spread ‘em and shred ‘em “.
If we catch them in a blitz, and they WILL blitz, check to a draw or screen pass.
As far as defense, all I can hope for is an improvement in tackling.
Sounds like a coach fulmers play.

Big plays. You gotta hope for big plays. No way you sustain drives against that defense. A couple of turnovers going your way wouldn't hurt either.

Agree, we have to have big plays like at KY. No one knows at this point if GA D is susceptible to big plays but if they are Heupel is guy that can figure out how to hit them.

Reactions: DickeyD
There is no way we are capable of lining up and “ pounding the rock “ vs UGA.
Our best chance is to “ spread ‘em and shred ‘em “.
If we catch them in a blitz, and they WILL blitz, check to a draw or screen pass.
As far as defense, all I can hope for is an improvement in tackling.

I think we have same defensive game plan as Kentucky. Keep our defense on the field 45 minutes until last possession wearing out Ga offense. Then blitz and hold dawgs and kill clock.

VN Store

Back