Riley to USC…the inevitable Josh Heupel to OU freak out thread

I love how only college coaching is the one profession where you can't do what's best for you and your family. Get over yourself. Everyone should do what's best for their family career wise. It's that simple. There is a $ amount to keep whatever coach you want as a university. If you don't want to pay it then don't blame the coach for leaving. Even if it's $100 million dollars a year. Don't be angry at coaches, or players, for trying to do what's best for them.

Who’s mad? Certainly it isn’t me.

Does incrementally more money right now and two moves in less than a year with young kids necessarily make for a good move for one’s family?

Heup seems like an earnest fellow, and I pray he makes the best decision for him and his. I hope he stays.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I don’t particularly like LA, but it is unquestionably a nicer place to live than greater OKC.

Hell, even Tom Joad knew that.
Then why is everyone who can afford a U Haul getting the HECK out of Cali as quickly as their cars will take them? California is loony ville now and everyone knows it

Yes. People hate Saban because he wins.... No one hates him because he lied out his ass as the Miami coach about taking the Bama job.

Just saying, there are very few instances in life where you get a no brainer opportunity to take a sure fire job that would be a much easier career path....

I’d wager there’s at least 10 Dolphins’ fans that would disagree.

Is it a no brainier though? Lincoln Riley is (reportedly) leaving for a reason, and it ain’t the money - which OU could likely match.

I’m still not ruling out Lane Kiffin to LSU.

I would not be surprised.... Corral is going pro so Kiffin will be breaking in a new QB next year at Ole Miss. While Kiffin isn't rumored for any job right now, it could be one of those situations like in 2009/2010 where these top jobs started missing out on their top targets and then it starts the convo of "well this wouldn't be a bad choice"......

One thing I have similar feeling to 2009 is that Schefter is out saying OU is targeting Kingsbury.... He has top team in NFL. Doubt he leaves a super bowl contender to go back to college. USC also targeted Jeff Fisher and Jack Del Rio and they said no... Then it started the search of college coaches. Chris Petersen and Mike Riley (Oregon State) said no..... So they had to go out and get someone like Kiffin..... I do think that Heupel is prolly is higher on the list for a job like OU because of what the market of likely available coaches looks like. I think of all the coaches rumored to be on the move, Matt Campbell is the highest profile name.... Does OU change his thought process any? Does OU go after him?

I just think if OU is smart and so is Heupel, its a no brainer for him to take OU and for OU to offer him.

Then why is everyone who can afford a U Haul getting the HECK out of Cali as quickly as their cars will take them? California is loony ville now and everyone knows it

True, many are, but everyone isn’t. I’d imagine a pretty tiny percentage are leaving for places like Tulsa and OKC.

Frisco, Austin, SLC, Boise, Nashville, ATL, Chattanooga, Asheville, KCMO, & New Orleans are all experiencing population influxes from out west, and all are nicer than anywhere in OK.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you read, and it’ll hold you in good stead.

Reactions: JacketVol
I’d wager there’s at least 10 Dolphins’ fans that would disagree.

Is it a no brainier though? Lincoln Riley is (reportedly) leaving for a reason, and it ain’t the money - which OU could likely match.

Riley's stock is as high as it has ever been..... He's cashing it in for a big time job in California. What if the reason he is leaving is cause USC offered some outrageous contract? Would he be an idiot to turn it down just to keep his day job? He's shown he can win at a 1-2 team conference.... Big 12 and Pac 12 are virtually the same.

Riley's stock is as high as it has ever been..... He's cashing it in for a big time job in California. What if the reason he is leaving is cause USC offered some outrageous contract? Would he be an idiot to turn it down just to keep his day job? He's shown he can win at a 1-2 team conference.... Big 12 and Pac 12 are virtually the same.

Agreed. Take the money while you’re near the top because once Oklahoma goes to the SEC they’re in for a rude awakening. This gets him big money and job security for a longer period of time than in Oklahoma.

Open the checkbook to keep JH

Short list if we lose JH

Dana Holgerson
Lane Kiffin
Peyton
Gruden
Luke Fikell

Look for UKs Stoops to OU

Get it through your head, folks. Peyton isn't going to be our, or anybody else's coach. He's pretty much on record for saying so. Besides, he is too smart to muck up his legacy by subjecting himself to overly high expectations and finicky fans hating him when those expectations don't pan out. Nobody in their right mind wants quitter Kif back at the UT. The Schaino incident will be nothing compared to the hue and cry from fans if they hire the Kif again. I seriously question, due to the very negative publicity Gruden got that if current and incoming players would accept him as their coach. Lady Dana and Luke Skywalker? Hard to say. If the UT administration and boosters stay out of AD White's way, he will hire a good replacement. Finally, I don't believe Heupel is leaving anytime soon. He is in a place where he can bring a once feared program back, all the way back, creating a legacy that will resonate for decades. Throw all that away for a school that unceremoniously and unfairly dissed him? Nope, not unless they offer a penny so pretty it makes the sun look dim.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back