Riley to USC…the inevitable Josh Heupel to OU freak out thread

You’re being ridiculous. Riley can be a millionaire in Norman, OK or Los Angeles. If I’m him, I’m going to Cali without even having to think.

I don’t particularly like LA, but it is unquestionably a nicer place to live than greater OKC.

Hell, even Tom Joad knew that.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
FFUFsOvWYAQS7GJ
Will you do one second of research on that account before you run around posting it? Google is a tool. Crap account.

I’m fully prepared to get laughed out of here for this, but what would that say for his integrity as a coach long term, especially for a guy who’s leaving into a strength of being “all about family?”

It’s not impossible he gets hired away, but it’d definitely be off brand and (money aside) against his long term interest.

What was Saban's integrity when he stood on podium at his job saying he wasn't taking the Bama job over and over and then did it. Sure this is different as he left a pro job to come back to college, but I'm pretty sure a coach doesn't care about integrity when it comes to winning.... Does anyone think bad of Saban for his lie about taking Bama? No.....

I would question his business IQ if he has a chance to interview with OU and says no.... Last I checked, a coach wants to win titles..... OU has the ability to contend for playoffs on day 1.... Tennessee is realistically 2-3 seasons away from even having a chance to compete for a conference title.

Why is he a BETA for not wanting to face SEC when the earliest he would face a SEC schedule is 3-4 years from now? I would get it if OU was joining the SEC next year.... However, they are basically one full recruiting class graduating from joining the league.....
Hes scared Oklahoma is just as much of a destination Job as anyone else. They have history, they have support, and I would argue hes had it easier at Oklahoma in the big whatever than he will have at USC. Maybe he does get a huge pay raise. But the AD knowing this was coming is pretty telling this dude just has the big fish in the small pond mentality and can't hack it with othet big fish.

I am aware. The fan base reaction to the idea of hiring him surprised me.

Wait till their top choices turn it down.....

This feels like January 2010 all over again.... USC has list of NFL coaches as targets, they all say no.... Kiffin isn't thought highly of when mentioned and then people warm up to it as those top tier targets say no.....

I’m fully prepared to get laughed out of here for this, but what would that say for his integrity as a coach long term, especially for a guy who’s leaning into a strength of being “all about family?”

It’s not impossible he gets hired away, but it’d definitely be off brand and (money aside) against his long term interest.
I love how only college coaching is the one profession where you can't do what's best for you and your family. Get over yourself. Everyone should do what's best for their family career wise. It's that simple. There is a $ amount to keep whatever coach you want as a university. If you don't want to pay it then don't blame the coach for leaving. Even if it's $100 million dollars a year. Don't be angry at coaches, or players, for trying to do what's best for them.

I dont think I would play poker with Riley.

This was really well played lol

"For us at some point here, we transition into a new conference. Those are always conversations that we're going to have, and we will be having those yearly, no matter what. All of us are trying to make this place better, make this program better, and so you don't do that without working together and conversing with each other. So of course we're gonna continue to do that. We work well together, and we're going to keep working well together."

Riley halts LSU talk, says he's committed to OU

Nobody is talking about rebuilding OK, people are talking about rebuilding USC. It's not a step up right now.

This is the part that I don’t understand. Riley is the sexy name but he walked into a well oiled machine and kept it running. USC is in a completely different situation and we will all find out just how good of a coach he is. Just make 2 cents.

What was Saban's integrity when he stood on podium at his job saying he wasn't taking the Bama job over and over and then did it. Sure this is different as he left a pro job to come back to college, but I'm pretty sure a coach doesn't care about integrity when it comes to winning.... Does anyone think bad of Saban for his lie about taking Bama? No.....

I would question his business IQ if he has a chance to interview with OU and says no.... Last I checked, a coach wants to win titles..... OU has the ability to contend for playoffs on day 1.... Tennessee is realistically 2-3 seasons away from even having a chance to compete for a conference title.

Lots of people think Saban is a jackarse for that and other reasons.

I’m sure he’d like a do over if given the chance.

long term. He retired to give Sooners solid foundation for the future by keeping Lincoln Riley, which would’ve never happened if he remained head coach As Riley was too hot a commodity to continue as an assistant.

BS has already been named interim coach for the bowl game.

Lots of people think Saban is a jackarse for that and other reasons.

I’m sure he’d like a do over if given the chance.

Yes. People hate Saban because he wins.... No one hates him because he lied out his ass as the Miami coach about taking the Bama job.

Just saying, there are very few instances in life where you get a no brainer opportunity to take a sure fire job that would be a much easier career path....

VN Store

Back