'21 Recruiting Forum: Official South Carolina Pregame/Game Thread

Friday morning and I have the feelings like I did in the 90s before game days when I knew we were gonna win big
hope I’m right
Carry the fight!!!!
Keep the mo rollin!!!
GBO!!!!!!

Maybe some interesting tidbits about Hooker in this college DFS blurb:

Hendon Hooker, Tennessee QB
Game: Tennessee (-10.5) vs. South Carolina - O/U 56.5
DraftKings Price: $7,900

d1c7c6ec-1dc6-41d7-b72a-f2e09b32a04b.jpeg

Looking over this weekend's slate, I tried to force myself away from Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker several times, but simply couldn't bring myself to do it.

Hooker has started the last three games for Tennessee, taking over for air yards king Joe Milton after the team's Week 2 loss to Pittsburgh.

In those three starts, which included back-to-back road games at Florida and Missouri, Hooker has completed 45-of-67 for 645 passing yards, eight touchdowns and no interceptions. He has also rushed 37times for 167yards and two more touchdowns, averaging 28.5 DraftKings points along the way.

6a4ba5c7-4757-4d6c-8323-b37e31880dd9.jpeg

Hooker has been on a heater as of late, and boasts the title of, "Most Efficient Fantasy QB on the Slate" (along with Arkansas' K.J. Jefferson) in terms of fantasy points per completion and per attempt.

On the season, Hooker is averaging 1.8 points per completion, however, if you look at only the games he has started, that efficiency number gets a slight bump to 1.9 points per completion.

In points per attempt, Hooker is tied for the lead as well at 1.2 points per attempt on the season. He again stands alone at the top if you account for only his starts, in which he has averaged 1.3 points per attempt.

Hooker's best game of the season came last week at Missouri, when he led the Vols to a 62-24 victory over the Tigers when he threw for 225 yards and three scores, and rushing for another 80 yards and a touchdown.

The Volunteers get a much tougher matchup at home this weekend, as they face a South Carolina defense that ranks 25th in the nation in yards allowed per game (297.2) and is tied for 23rd in the nation in points allowed per game (17.4). But South Carolina's lofty defensive rankings may not be what they're cracked up to be come Saturday.

To date, South Carolina has not faced many offenses as potent as Tennessee's, and when it did, the end result was a 40-13 road loss to Georgia.

The Gamecocks sit at 3-2 on the year with wins over FCS Eastern Illinois and FBS foes East Carolina and Troy. Both FBS teams rank outside the top 50 in points per game and boast a combined record of 5-5. The Volunteers, on the other hand, are 10th in the nation in points scored (40.8) and are 19th in yards per game at 473.6.

South Carolina also ranks at the bottom third of the nation in yards per game with 328.8, and could face a difficult task on moving the ball against Tennessee, who Pro Football Focus has graded as the 28th best defense in the nation (83.7).

What makes Hooker especially attractive on this weekend's slate is his $7,900 price tag, which ranks as 12th most expensive quarterback this weekend. Combining his recent success through the air with his highly efficient play and rushing floor makes Hooker an intriguing add for this weekend.

This won’t be a Missouri level beat down but I don’t see USCe scoring enough points to win. Only way we don’t win is if we play sloppy and have multiple turnovers.
Vols-38
Cocks-17

Alright, I waited until 11 pm to post this. I hope this isn’t a trap game. I’m one of the biggest sunshine pushers you’ll find. We’re all flying high off that Missouri game and think most are overlooking South Carolina to the overhyped OlePizz game. UT wins, but it will be a one to two score win.

Not taking anything from TN, you play the team in front of you and go for everything you can. And they did exactly that against Mizzou.
But yeah, different score if the Tigers we're capable of even holding a waist and falling down.

That 2nd qtr TD from 3rd and 12, we easily should've been stopped short of even a first down, twice. Their guys looked like they were trying to lightly chest bump Jones Jr. Several others when even the most basic tackle or angle changes the outcome.

I expect a different looking game but if TN still takes what is there for the taking, the most important stat comes out the same.
Another big ol' W.
C'mon Vols

Madras's > Bloddy Mary's. Don't @me.
images

my personal recipie...half vodka, half cranberry, half OJ, Lime Wedge. repeat until asleep again. and don't try to tell me math is wrong. works every time.

I like half vodka, fill the rest with equal parts Pom (pomegranate juice) and OJ, with a healthy splash of lemon juice (best if fresh squeezed) on top, and stir. For those who like their drinks on the sweet side, skip the lemon juice and maybe add a little Malibu rum.

Last edited:
Reactions: jakez4ut
Hendon Hooker, Tennessee QB
Game: Tennessee (-10.5) vs. South Carolina - O/U 56.5
DraftKings Price: $7,900

d1c7c6ec-1dc6-41d7-b72a-f2e09b32a04b.jpeg

Looking over this weekend's slate, I tried to force myself away from Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker several times, but simply couldn't bring myself to do it.

Hooker has started the last three games for Tennessee, taking over for air yards king Joe Milton after the team's Week 2 loss to Pittsburgh.

In those three starts, which included back-to-back road games at Florida and Missouri, Hooker has completed 45-of-67 for 645 passing yards, eight touchdowns and no interceptions. He has also rushed 37times for 167yards and two more touchdowns, averaging 28.5 DraftKings points along the way.

6a4ba5c7-4757-4d6c-8323-b37e31880dd9.jpeg

Hooker has been on a heater as of late, and boasts the title of, "Most Efficient Fantasy QB on the Slate" (along with Arkansas' K.J. Jefferson) in terms of fantasy points per completion and per attempt.

On the season, Hooker is averaging 1.8 points per completion, however, if you look at only the games he has started, that efficiency number gets a slight bump to 1.9 points per completion.

In points per attempt, Hooker is tied for the lead as well at 1.2 points per attempt on the season. He again stands alone at the top if you account for only his starts, in which he has averaged 1.3 points per attempt.

Hooker's best game of the season came last week at Missouri, when he led the Vols to a 62-24 victory over the Tigers when he threw for 225 yards and three scores, and rushing for another 80 yards and a touchdown.

The Volunteers get a much tougher matchup at home this weekend, as they face a South Carolina defense that ranks 25th in the nation in yards allowed per game (297.2) and is tied for 23rd in the nation in points allowed per game (17.4). But South Carolina's lofty defensive rankings may not be what they're cracked up to be come Saturday.

To date, South Carolina has not faced many offenses as potent as Tennessee's, and when it did, the end result was a 40-13 road loss to Georgia.

The Gamecocks sit at 3-2 on the year with wins over FCS Eastern Illinois and FBS foes East Carolina and Troy. Both FBS teams rank outside the top 50 in points per game and boast a combined record of 5-5. The Volunteers, on the other hand, are 10th in the nation in points scored (40.8) and are 19th in yards per game at 473.6.

South Carolina also ranks at the bottom third of the nation in yards per game with 328.8, and could face a difficult task on moving the ball against Tennessee, who Pro Football Focus has graded as the 28th best defense in the nation (83.7).

What makes Hooker especially attractive on this weekend's slate is his $7,900 price tag, which ranks as 12th most expensive quarterback this weekend. Combining his recent success through the air with his highly efficient play and rushing floor makes Hooker an intriguing add for this weekend.
$7,900 Hooker

Expensive, but well worth it.

I think this game comes down to a couple of pretty obvious and easy to measure stats:

🏈 - USCe has had a pedestrian running game + TN has had a strong run defense (minus the running QB against Florida).

If USCe figures out how to get 100+ Yards rushing the ball, that’s not great news for the Vols.

🏈 - USCe forces a lot of turnovers + the Vols have been solid holding onto the ball.

If TN has 2+ turnovers, that’s not great news for the Vols.

✅ - Win in those two stat areas and TN wins very comfortably. Lose in those two stat areas and it’s a dogfight.

✅ - Final note: I don’t think USCe can score more than 24 in this game. Which brings me into agreement with the original poster / thread started. Vols score 30+ and they win.

My prediction:
Vols - 38
USCe - 17

Just watched the Troy USC game for kicks on youtube (living it up on Friday night) and I can't see much of anything that South Carolina does well. They actually have decent talent, so I'm thinking that conventional wisdom was right. Beamer may grow into the job if he lasts a few years, but after 5 games they don't look well coached. He should be thankful for Vandy or they might be looking at an 0 for the SEC this year.

It's really more of a curse than a blessing, but I'll pick the vols to cover the spread tomorrow.

Not taking anything from TN, you play the team in front of you and go for everything you can. And they did exactly that against Mizzou.
But yeah, different score if the Tigers we're capable of even holding a waist and falling down.

That 2nd qtr TD from 3rd and 12, we easily should've been stopped short of even a first down, twice. Their guys looked like they were trying to lightly chest bump Jones Jr. Several others when even the most basic tackle or angle changes the outcome.

I expect a different looking game but if TN still takes what is there for the taking, the most important stat comes out the same.
Another big ol' W.
C'mon Vols
Yeah, mizzou defense clearly lost their fight early on.. I wonder how much of that was caused by our tempo though

Just watched the Troy USC game for kicks on youtube (living it up on Friday night) and I can't see much of anything that South Carolina does well. They actually have decent talent, so I'm thinking that conventional wisdom was right. Beamer may grow into the job if he lasts a few years, but after 5 games they don't look well coached. He should be thankful for Vandy or they might be looking at an 0 for the SEC this year.

It's really more of a curse than a blessing, but I'll pick the vols to cover the spread tomorrow.
Troy did everything they could to lose that game. Refs were also atrocious on both sides.

I'm actually surprised uscjr can't run the ball.

Not because they have the returning conference leading rusher in Kevin Harris. Instead because they have Marshawn Lloyd, who I thought was an incredible RB as a recruit. I know he's coming off an injury but I thought I read he was 100% and I figured he'd be balling out. Kid is legit good.

VN Store

Back