'20 Recruiting Forum: Official Kentucky Pregame/Game Thread

Cant believe im taking this line...

Pruitt had to flip the roster completely. He has coached on 5 Natty teams. Dude breathes 'ball' Kids love him.

We lost weeks in Spring. Yes its on him not having a qb. but we just recruited top pro passer out of Georgia.

We're about to sign another top ten class.

Bama will donkey stomp us. Future is now. Time for Maurer or Bailey to take reigns. Get healthy and get those talented frosh in.

Agree, but you gotta have discipline. I’ve seen several instances this year and last that made me raise my brow.

One other thing that I have seen is when players make egregious mistakes or horrible Personal foul penalties, Pruitt doesn’t CHEW butts.

Just like the Groin kick today, kid should have been taken to the side and told to remove your shoulder pads rite there. Then Go sit your ass on the bench and I’m telling the Entire team, “if you speak to him, I’ll run you til you puke”!!!

The more I think about today’s game, the more I see how much we don’t develop players. We have talent, but we gotta do a better job of developing players. Also, where in the hell are our TES???

That’s enough for me tonight. Y’all stay frosty Vol Nation.
We have talent but not in key areas. We are playing some patchwork upperclassmen in most key spots. The junior class is riddled with low rated players and the senior class is worse. Our talent is really only in the freshman and sophomore classes. We have more talent than UK so that isn’t an excuse for this game but we are not a very good team.

We have talent but not in key areas. We are playing some patchwork upperclassmen in most key spots. The junior class is riddled with low rated players and the senior class is worse. Our talent is really only in the freshman and sophomore classes. We have more talent than UK so that isn’t an excuse for this game but we are not a very good team.
then recruit. just tells me we were devoid after Botch.

Our classes are better but not championship level. Hard to sway the elite kids when you’re losing to Kentucky by 3+ TDs. Again it falls back on QB play.
let's worry about consistently winning first. I honestly think we are close. We are about to sign a third elite class.

I dont think we need to be giving any extentions tho.

Not enough. Go back and watch Coach Brooks “Chew” some ass and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Obviously the message isn’t getting through
That’s just what the camera shows. Who knows how much goes on in the locker room, practice field, or film study? You might since it seems you’re pretty connected but seeing Pruitt chew some ass is the least of my worries right now.

Reactions: VolGee4
let's worry about consistently winning first. I honestly think we are close. We are about to sign a third elite class.

I dont think we need to be giving any extentions tho.
I think we just need to give a coach a real shot and let him recruit. We weren’t that good last year but we had some talented players leftover JJ Marquez and DT Bituli. We are currently relying on Butchs last class and Pruitts first class in which he had to put together in 2 weeks. That’s our upperclassmen right now and it shows.

I think we just need to give a coach a real shot and let him recruit. We weren’t that good last year but we had some talented players leftover JJ Marquez and DT Bituli. We are currently relying on Butchs last class and Pruitts first class in which he had to put together in 2 weeks. That’s our upperclassmen right now and it shows.
agree.

Well he's the head coach. If he's delegated and he's not happy with the decisions being made by those he's delegated to, he's got to take control. He's ultimately responsible. Most fans have known for a long time JG wasn't an SEC level QB. We've prayed that it would click for him this year knowing down deep it wasn't likely to happen. I get the feeling Pruitt has had the same prayer. If he had doubts that JG was going to be the guy, and he didn't think the other guys on the roster were better, he should have brought in a graduate transfer.

This isn't just about QB play.

We can't block.
We can't cover.
Our RBs can't break tackles.
Our wide receivers can't create separation.
We lose the edge frequently (although we've been better lately)
We can't pressure the QB.
We're very undisciplined.
We lose composure.
We seem to give up in adversity.

Pruitt is in danger of losing this team. I said last week we have no easy games on this schedule. If things don't do a 180, and that's gonna be difficult with Bama next, I really don't see more than one win left on the schedule. This thing has the potential to go south quickly.

All of those things you listed were very limited in the first two games. Then we were leading a top 5 team at half and then JG and the Oline fell apart.

Pruitt was on verge of losing the team last year. Everyone has basically said it’s a free year. Things beyond many people’s control. Today sucked, but get Bailey ready to play and go play.

All of those things you listed we did in our two wins and didn’t do in our two losses. That’s how it goes. It’s just frustration after a terrible loss.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
Not enough. Go back and watch Coach Brooks “Chew” some ass and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Obviously the message isn’t getting through

There’s a fine line these days. You don’t see Saban “chew” players during games (as much as his coaches). You prepare them and expect them to perform. That’s a bit overrated because they get chewed on during the week.

Reactions: Devo182
I watch a LOT of college football, and it's been years since I've seen our QB consistently make throws that most other P5 QBs can make. Dobbs was average because he was an elite athlete, but 95% of his completions were within 5 yards of the LOS.
i think calling dobbs an average college QB is an extreme insult. He was asked to do more than any QB we’ve ever had here and played behind poor OLs. I think he’s probably the 3rd best modern QB we’ve had here (Manning and Shuler) when you factor in the coaches he had, what he meant to the offense, what he was asked to do, and how productive he was. I think if you put him on some of the early 2000s team... we have at least a couple SEC titles and probably a natty.

Cant believe im taking this line...

Pruitt had to flip the roster completely. He has coached on 5 Natty teams. Dude breathes 'ball' Kids love him.

We lost weeks in Spring. Yes its on him not having a qb. but we just recruited top pro passer out of Georgia.

We're about to sign another top ten class.

Bama will donkey stomp us. Future is now. Time for Maurer or Bailey to take reigns. Get healthy and get those talented frosh in.
By god hope you're right. Just hope we can do something with said talent.

I watch a LOT of college football, and it's been years since I've seen our QB consistently make throws that most other P5 QBs can make. Dobbs was average because he was an elite athlete, but 95% of his completions were within 5 yards of the LOS.

Guess you didn't watch much Dobbs. His sr year he averaged 13 yards per completion. No way his air yards% was like 35% lol. Even going by adot, there's no starter in the entire league averaging below 6.4 yards average depth of targets. To say 95% of his passes were 0-5 yards is just absurd.

Average QBs don't get drafted either.

I’m just not sure that after watching today’s game, there is one area where you can look and say that position group is well coached.
I skipped a bunch. Did our defense not play pretty well? Seemed like it, at least the parts I watched. Held them to under 300 yards and just 20 pts. We gave up that much in the first half alone last week, so that is big improvement.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
All of those things you listed were very limited in the first two games. Then we were leading a top 5 team at half and then JG and the Oline fell apart.

Pruitt was on verge of losing the team last year. Everyone has basically said it’s a free year. Things beyond many people’s control. Today sucked, but get Bailey ready to play and go play.

All of those things you listed we did in our two wins and didn’t do in our two losses. That’s how it goes. It’s just frustration after a terrible loss.
I've ignored the signs in the past, we all have. Most can name a specific point where they knew down deep the coach wasn't going to make it. This just isn't about getting blown out in Neyland by KY for the first time in over 30 years in your 3rd year. It's also about BYU and GA State. It's about being completely c collapsing. It's about repeating the same mistakes.

I seriously hope he makes it but give him very little chance at this point. I said last week, every game left would be a struggle to win. I still believe that. I think winning 2 more games is probably about the ceiling for this team. I've already moved on from this season.

Beyond this season depends on recruiting. Does the class fall apart? Realistically, the staff will be fortunate to hold it together, IMO. If recruiting falls off we'll be witnessing the beginning of the end.

As I've said many times, I love the guy. I hope he succeeds.

Last edited:
If I’m coach, I’m starting HB. Let the kid learn on the fly. May not be pretty at first but once he settles in and gets used to the game speed, it may “Click” sooner rather than later.

I mean, what could it hurt? Barring injury, he may turn some heads. Only problem is, you’d have to simplify the offense so much that defenses could pick up on some things.
Our offense is so vanilla anyway, how much more could it be changed.

VN Store

Back