Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not always true. In the weight classes fighters arrive and weigh in at the agreed weight but often the night of the fight there is noticeable difference in the 2. BJ Penn fought at light weight for a time and was a dominant champ. He was beaten by Frankie Edgar. Frankie walked around at 160 pounds and had to cut very little to make weight. BJ Penn walked around at 175-180.
I’m talking about the original UFC events that Royce Gracie won. Except for Ken Shamrock the competition was not great. Shamrock was also overrated some too.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I stated at least 30 times that a smaller man who is better can beat a bigger man.

It doesnt make size irrelevant. Sheesh.

I dont need to theorize about it. ive spent my whole life doing it. Grew up around it. Lived it, breathed it. Fought across multiple disciplines, weight classes. You name it. Ive whipped hundreds of men. Also been whipped a few times.

Size is a critical, critical factor in combat.
Sorry, no way did I intend to imply you were wrong. Of course height, weight, strength, eye hand coordination, speed, etc are all important. I was also looking at it more in terms of a street fight instead of an organized fight. I only meant to point out that nothing can take the place of just being plain tough and keeping on coming

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I have a Zack Evans question that may have been discussed already, so if so forgive me. But is there any way or chance that he could go the XFL route? I don’t know the XFL rules exactly but I know one of the players joined the XFL after his freshman or sophomore year at West Virginia I believe. That just seems like something that would happen after all the fuss. Just curious if this has been discussed and would be a legit possibility coming out of high school

That's what the early days of the UFC were for seeing which skill set was best. It was true then and still holds true jiu jitsu

The early UFC matches were set up to show the dominance of BJJ, specifically Gracie Jiu Jitsu. None of the guys participating knew how to defeat that style.

Once high level wrestlers started learning BJJ it was a completely different sport. Guys like Matt Hughes and Tito Ortiz changed the game. Even when Chuck Liddell was dominant it was his wrestling ability and knowledge of BJJ defense that made it possible for him to stay on his feet or get up quickly so that he could end it with punches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back