Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it’s not about size it’s all about skill ?
Good Lord.

Size and skill are each factors.

People love to point to Gracie, 30 years ago.

I could literally tell stories about dozens of smaller, more skilled men who move up in weight class and get their clock cleaned by a bigger man.

Yet, all people wanna do is point to a 30 year old story, in a brand new sport, where a smaller man brought a unique skill set and beat up on some bigger men.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Good Lord.

Size and skill are each factors.

People love to point to Gracie, 30 years ago.

I could literally tell stories about dozens of smaller, more skilled men who move up in weight class and get their clock cleaned by a bigger man.

Yet, all people wanna do is point to a 30 year old story, in a brand new sport, where a smaller man brought a unique skill set and beat up on some bigger men.

Uh huh .

And thats one of the greatest boxers to ever live, on record saying he didnt wanna fight Wilder, Fury, or Joshua because the size differential is too great to overcome.

But he was fighting people with marginal skills. Equal talent the bigger man usually wins.

Not always true. In the weight classes fighters arrive and weigh in at the agreed weight but often the night of the fight there is noticeable difference in the 2. BJ Penn fought at light weight for a time and was a dominant champ. He was beaten by Frankie Edgar. Frankie walked around at 160 pounds and had to cut very little to make weight. BJ Penn walked around at 175-180.

Not always true. In the weight classes fighters arrive and weigh in at the agreed weight but often the night of the fight there is noticeable difference in the 2. BJ Penn fought at light weight for a time and was a dominant champ. He was beaten by Frankie Edgar. Frankie walked around at 160 pounds and had to cut very little to make weight. BJ Penn walked around at 175-180.
I love how people point out the exceptions and the 20 year old little guy won stories.

I love how people point out the exceptions and the 20 year old little guy won stories.

If you don't believe me then see the fight where Frankie Edgar destroyed Gray Maynard. Gray Maynard who is basically the same age as Frankie. Maynard was also a guy who walked around near 185-190 yet fought at 155.

And FTR BJ Penn is only a year or two older than Frankie. Nice try

If you don't believe me then see the fight where Frankie Edgar destroyed Gray Maynard. Gray Maynard who is basically the same age as Frankie. Maynard was also a guy who walked around near 185-190 yet fought at 155
And why, exactly, do you think he cut 30 lbs to make weight? For fun?

I see what you are saying but what I am saying is that extra weight did not help him.
Man, some of you people really struggle to make sense of anything.

We all have agreed that a better little guy can beat a less skilled or less fit big guy, ok?

You happy?

Reactions: vols40
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back