Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... what you guys are saying is... humans took ideas from other cultures and adapted them to their own ways... these cultures were polytheistic, and humans value certain things and were assigning gods to those things... so they ended up with gods that were mostly similar to these same things that all humans valued?

Great Scott. What a revelation!

Also, if there's some similarities in Greek culture that imitate Egyptian culture... keep in mind Alexander the Great was porking Cleopatra... I'd imagine she got to decorate the nursery and such (I know mine did :oops:)
Wasn't Alexander 250-300 yrs before Cleopatra; but, wasn't she a descendant of one of his generals? Or is my history completely off?

Wasn't Alexander 250-300 yrs before Cleopatra; but, wasn't she a descendant of one of his generals? Or is my history completely off?
You're right. Caesar porked Cleopatra. She was one of the Ptolemy. They were descended from Greeks and by her time had melded with the native Egyptians somewhat to create a really interesting blend of those two cultures (at least among some of the elites in Egypt).

So... what you guys are saying is... humans took ideas from other cultures and adapted them to their own ways... these cultures were polytheistic, and humans value certain things and were assigning gods to those things... so they ended up with gods that were mostly similar to these same things that all humans valued?

Also, if there's some similarities in Greek culture that imitate Egyptian culture... keep in mind Alexander the Great was porking Cleopatra... I'd imagine she got to decorate the nursery and such (I know mine did :oops:)
Nope...Cleo's great-great, then a bunch of more greats-grandaddy was one of Alex's four generals Ptolemy.

Cleo snagged J-Ceasar and then when he got cut, she banged his general Marc'y Marc Antony in a last ditch effort to save her hide..which was a bad idea because his rival for the head Romanship..Octavian/Augustus turned out to be a much better strategist and kicked his arse all over the Mediterranean..ending with Marc gutting himself and Cleo...well lets just say she was...snakebit..😏

You're right. Caesar porked Cleopatra. She was one of the Ptolemy. They were descended from Greeks and by her time had melded with the native Egyptians somewhat to create a really interesting blend of those two cultures (at least among some of the elites in Egypt).
Ptolemy, that's right; he was Alexander's general. I believe they're now trying to say Ptolemy was the one who founded Alexandria, instead of Alexander. Regardless, the Egyptians worshipped Alexander as a God.

Also, besides Caesar, Mark Antony was Cleopatra's lover, as well. Girl loved her some Romans.

Reactions: T Dog

What's a few hundred years among friends? Since Homer predated the conquest of Egypt by Alexander by about six hundred years and most of Greek mythology was already in existence during homers time, I doubt there was very much ripping off going on there. I don't think it's too much of a surprise that all of the ancient civilizations had similar stories because the old ancient stories basically had very little creativity to them. Boy Meets Girl then kills rival Boy Meets better girl and so on and so forth.

Last edited:
This topic can be discussed with much depth, but this probably isn't the place nor do I have the time. I think more people on the Forbes list made their wealth on their own as opposed to inheriting it. You can break that down to discuss whether a person is truly self-made when they had a nice life style growing up. But, middle class or even upper class does not mean you make millions (or billions). I would probably consider someone like Zuckerberg self made even though he was the son of a pychiatrist and dentist. They didn't make the money that he has.

I can't say that I am up on it, but I would guess that the Baby Boomers and the tech boom have created many self-made wealthy people. There were not that many around in the mid part of the 20th century.

You're right about the depth and breadth of this topic, so I'll move it over here..

The way I see it: 1) Money is easier to make when you've already got it. 2) It's easier to inherit money than it is to create something. There are folks that have come from above average income households, and if Zuck is your example, I'll agree with you-- a psychiatrist and a dentist probably aren't hurting for money, but they're not what I'd consider "rich". So I can agree with saying Zuck is self-made (far easier than saying that about Kendall Jenner for paying someone to create, concoct, and market a perfume).

I just did a quick google: "How many millionaires in the US" and the Des Moines Register was the top result:

The United States added 700,000 new millionaire households in 2017, according to a new report from the Spectrem Group.

The U.S. now has close to 11 million millionaires, up 6 percent from 2016, according to data from the Spectrum Group’s Market Insights Report 2018.

The report also found that there were 172,000 households with a net worth higher than $25 million.

The jump in millionaires came from rising stock prices and increased housing prices, the report said.

Spectrem defines a millionaire as someone who has at least $1 million in investable assets, not including their primary residence.

"It was the equity markets that really pulled these folks up," George Walper, president of Spectrem Group, said, according to a new report from CNBC. "This is the group that has the most equity holdings, so the biggest change is at the high end.”

Last year, the report found there were more millionaires than ever before as close to 10.8 million people became a millionaire in 2016, according to Entrepreneur.

The number of millionaires has doubled since 2009, when there were 6 million millionaire households.

Before the housing crisis, there were roughly 9 million millionaires, CNBC reported.

Walper said he expects more millionaires to come in the near future, according to CNBC.

"I think people are pretty optimistic," he said. "But a lot has to do with whether the Democrats take the House and whether we see changes in the tax law. But right now I could see a similar increase next year."

I don't doubt that there were some good (and extremely lucrative) products and services created last year, and I don't doubt that there were a solid portion coming from those of less affluent backgrounds. But when there were 700k new millionaires from 2017-2018, and the study links it to stocks and tax cuts.. I have a hard time white-washing the entire millionaire class by saying it's all bootstraps and the American Dream.

Mr. Robinson's so big he's his own neighborhood:

While we're on subject. Always was hit and miss with me and Eddie Murphy. Guy is a comic genius, his timing is excellent. His character development is classic, and big time on camera personality is timeless. Maaan, Buckwheat sings used to make me chortle as a kid. Murphy's Raw is up there with (sigh), Kinison's Live from Hell, Dice Clay, and gasp! Pryor.

Carlin is classic but just isnt funny. He couldnt hold Dennis Miller's jock.

Reactions: SmokeyDaBear
Egyptian/middle eastern stories - how many of them were basis for biblical mythologies?

Gilgamesh, the great flood, virgin birth, christmas by the winter solstice seem obvious, but what others were common myths throughout the east, zoroastrianism, and other ancient civilizations with near east connections?

While we're on subject. Always was hit and miss with me and Eddie Murphy. Guy is a comic genius, his timing is excellent. His character development is classic, and big time on camera personality is timeless. Maaan, Buckwheat sings used to make me chortle as a kid. Murphy's Raw is up there with (sigh), Kinison's Live from Hell, Dice Clay, and gasp! Pryor.

Carlin is classic but just isnt funny. He couldnt hold Dennis Miller's jock.

I never found Carlin the least bit funny. Or Kinison for that matter. I guess I just don't like yelling angry comics.

Egyptian/middle eastern stories - how many of them were basis for biblical mythologies?

Gilgamesh, the great flood, virgin birth, christmas by the winter solstice seem obvious, but what others were common myths throughout the east, zoroastrianism, and other ancient civilizations with near east connections?
Dont forget about Indian culture. What's fascinating is all the religions and cultures have similarities. It seems like they were all derived from one and some took their own angles and ran with it. Like history is written by someone's own interpretation of it, might not be exactly how it went. Seems people with agendas went back 1000's of years. It's why I Always keep an open mind about things, try to find multiple sources and come up with my own conclusions.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Dont forget about Indian culture. What's fascinating is all the religions and cultures have similarities. It seems like they were all derived from one and some took their own angles and ran with it. Like history is written by someone's own interpretation of it, might not be exactly how it went. Seems people with agendas went back 1000's of years. It's why I Always keep an open mind about things, try to find multiple sources and come up with my own conclusions.

The Vedic Texts are super interesting and are some of the oldest recording iterations of the ancient Sanskrit. I don't think there's any question that we're living in the Kali Yuga right now.

Just curious, what would you like to see done to the healthcare system in America?
Haha, no clue on that answer.
I believe in the free market and I know for-profit is why we have some of the best medical minds and advancements in the world.

Same time, the entire industry and structure has become out of control. The value of human life, wellness and general care of our own, takes a back seat to the same profit that makes it so advanced.
I'm sure there's oversight tweaks or even complete changes that could address many issues but most likely, also create others.

Imo, finding a balance between the natural drive for profit and the need for basic humanity is almost impossible.
Much of it probably falls under morality or the lack of...
But how do you legislate morality?

Above my pay grade.

Reactions: Smokey123
Just curious, what would you like to see done to the healthcare system in America?

I can answer that. The way the system can provide care for people like charger is by reducing the absolutely absurd utilization costs, which enables a legitimate social safety net that can address issues like pharmaceuticals which are prohibitively expensive.

1. Reduce costs by allowing CMS to negotiate drug prices directly with the pharmaceutical companies
2. Move away from a fee for service provider reimbursement system, and move towards provider incentives that are value and outcome based
3. Enable prescription reimbursements and discounts that are available to government and managed care organizations
4. Reform the CMS billing system and prohibit providers from overbilling Medicare and Medicaid
5. Tort reform that provides a shield against frivolous medical malpractice claims

These are tweaks that would promote a much more sustainable health care system with costs that are commensurate with the rest of the industrialized world. It's no secret that the American health care system has the highest total cost of care, with some of the poorest outcomes. Ultimately I see the entire healthcare delivery model being disrupted by the tech industry in the next 5-10 years. You're going to see a direct to consumer care delivery model eventually with retail locations serving as neighborhood health centers. Places like Walgreens or CVS will be locations where you can see an in-network provider in a clinical setting that will eventually replace the primary care model as we know it. There's also a discussion whether we move to an entirely managed care system as a whole.

I believe in the free market and I know for-profit is why we have some of the best medical minds and advancements in the world.

Same time, the entire industry and structure has become out of control. The value of human life, wellness and general care of our own, takes a back seat to the same profit that makes it so advanced.
I'm sure there's oversight tweaks or even complete changes that could address many issues but most likely, also create others.

Imo, finding a balance between the natural drive for profit and the need for basic humanity is almost impossible.

Above my pay grade.
Cuba isn’t for profit and they have discovered a vaccine for small cell lung cancer and has arguably the best preventative care in the world. The American healthcare system is an absolute joke and only getting worse.

Unless wages catch up, more and more people are going to go bankrupt just because they get unlucky and get sick. That seems unlikely, so it’s time to stop spending money on our forever wars and start focusing on single payer and other government programs that will help Americans.

Hell, even a Koch brother’s study found that the current system is substantially more expensive compared to single payer. Thanks to the Koch Brothers, We Have More Proof that Single Payer Saves Money and Cares for All of Us

Cuba isn’t for profit and they have discovered a vaccine for small cell lung cancer and has arguably the best preventative care in the world. The American healthcare system is an absolute joke and only getting worse.

Unless wages catch up, more and more people are going to go bankrupt just because they get unlucky and get sick. That seems unlikely, so it’s time to stop spending money on our forever wars and start focusing on single payer and other government programs that will help Americans.

Hell, even a Koch brother’s study found that the current system is substantially more expensive compared to single payer. Thanks to the Koch Brothers, We Have More Proof that Single Payer Saves Money and Cares for All of Us
Already said the system is broken but not interested in the politics.
Never suggested that us leading meant that other countries never make advancements. But as great as that is on Cuba's part, it doesn't mean they're anywhere near the same overall advancement level.

Heck, many advancements in other countries (not referring to Cuba),are done with the intent of selling to the US at our ridiculous prices.

Already said the system is broken but not interested in the politics.
Never suggested that us leading meant that other countries never make advancements. But as great as that is on Cuba's part, it doesn't mean they're anywhere near the same overall advancement level.

Heck, many advancements in other countries (not referring to Cuba),are done with the intent of selling to the US at our ridiculous prices.
One reason our healthcare is so expensive is that Americans pay a large portion of R&D for the whole world. We innovate, and pass on those cost to Americans because the market, to this point, has absorbed it. Other countries either can't afford the higher cost or refuse to pay them. There's a lot wrong with our system and this is part of it. Having our government take control of our healthcare system will be a complete disaster as it's already shown with Obama care.

FACT CHECK: Does Cuba Have a Cancer Vaccine That Has Already Cured Thousands?

Think the Cuban healthcare system is ideal? No cigar. Not even close.

Above my pay grade.
Yea I was interested in your take considering (I assume) the massive amount of medical bills/insurance you have to pay.

On one hand I believe the government should stay out of healthcare. On the other hand, I believe every citizen should be taken care. Obviously both likely aren’t possible

I heard something the other day and it was “pick 2 of these 3 things: universal healthcare, affordability or quality care.” All 3 likely isn’t possible

Yea I was interested in your take considering (I assume) the massive amount of medical bills/insurance you have to pay.

On one hand I believe the government should stay out of healthcare. On the other hand, I believe every citizen should be taken care. Obviously both likely aren’t possible

I heard something the other day and it was “pick 2 of these 3 things: universal healthcare, affordability or quality care.” All 3 likely isn’t possible
I've always had the personal stance of take care of the ones that can't by no reason of their own and the rest would take care of itself. I believe a significant portion of the people that don't pay for their own healthcare through insurance is not because they can't it's because they won't. I know people that bitch and moan about it being able to afford healthcare but they always have the latest iPhone and are driving a nicer car than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back