Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is increasingly not going to be a proper excuse anymore. I'm not railing on you for saying it, because you're right. But what I'm looking forward to is a time where that's said less and less.. Gotta think, there are people who try hard and miss out, and that's all they hear in return.

Yea, I expected a response from that. But money makes the world go around. We can talk about fantasy land all we want. I will be right there with you to bitch and complain about what universities and colleges do with their money, but the bottom line is that they need it to function. Our government needs money to protect and provide, our schools need money to educate, and we all need money to support our families. People with more of it can offer it to help fund entities, organizations, and schools. It's the way the world works.

But schools aren't just taking rich kids these days, and many rich people didn't rely on inheritances. They did it themselves by creating something that had demand or by being persistent, and anyone from any background can aspire to do that.

• John Calipari, Kentucky — $9,276,643
  • Rick Barnes, Tennessee — $3,250,000
  • Tom Crean, Georgia — $3,200,000
  • Avery Johnson, Alabama — $3,062,000
  • Frank Martin, South Carolina — $2,950,000
  • Cuonzo Martin, Mizzou — $2,800,000
  • Mike White, Florida — $2,612,758
  • Bruce Pearl, Auburn — $2,600,000
  • Mike Anderson, Arkansas — $2,550,000
  • Will Wade, LSU — $2,500,000
  • Kermit Davis, Ole Miss — $2,500,000
  • Billy Kennedy, Texas A&M — $2,454,000
  • Ben Howland, Mississippi State — $2,200,000
  • Bryce Drew, Vanderbilt — $2,047,142

You can probably soon take Wade off that list. He made about a million dollars after telling his superiors in October that nothing else was coming out.

• John Calipari, Kentucky — $9,276,643
  • Rick Barnes, Tennessee — $3,250,000
  • Tom Crean, Georgia — $3,200,000
  • Avery Johnson, Alabama — $3,062,000
  • Frank Martin, South Carolina — $2,950,000
  • Cuonzo Martin, Mizzou — $2,800,000
  • Mike White, Florida — $2,612,758
  • Bruce Pearl, Auburn — $2,600,000
  • Mike Anderson, Arkansas — $2,550,000
  • Will Wade, LSU — $2,500,000
  • Kermit Davis, Ole Miss — $2,500,000
  • Billy Kennedy, Texas A&M — $2,454,000
  • Ben Howland, Mississippi State — $2,200,000
  • Bryce Drew, Vanderbilt — $2,047,142
Woah!! I didn’t know Cal made over $9 million! No wonder they are paying so much for recruits and refs...they need a major return on their investment!

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
Grant back to back SEC player of year!

Voted on by coaches and AP.

Admiral and Bone honored with 1st & 2nd team, respectively.

Dang, the BVS/media hates us/it's all rigged for bluebloods crowd is really taking a beating this year. It's almost like being good wins you awards...another damning blow to tinfoil hatters.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Dang, the BVS/media hates us/it's all rigged for bluebloods crowd is really taking a beating this year. It's almost like being good wins you awards...another damning blow to tinfoil hatters.
Barnes didn’t win Coach of the Year, and Bowden didn’t win 6th man of the year, so there’s that.

After spring practices/games are in the books there may be some adjustments to some of the early preseason rankings but for now here are 3 of the bigger named prognosticators and their initial views of how things could stack up relative to our schedule this year. (The number for UTC [Chattanooga] isn't real. 247 had their team talent ranked at 139 last year. They only had I think 6 players that had ratings but obviously that was more than most FCS teams). There's a lot of agreement in how teams stack up relatively speaking in Tier 1 and Tier 3 but no real consensus on Tier 2. The key takeaway is clearly ESPN loves us. That noted, what's your early guess on how we fare in each of the tiers?

View attachment 197429

Tier 1: 0-3
Tier 2: 2-2
Tier 3: 4-1

Barnes didn’t win Coach of the Year, and Bowden didn’t win 6th man of the year, so there’s that.

Bowden was no runaway like Grant was. Grant led every meaningful stat and way ahead in PER. Bowden trailed the winner in ppg, rpb, apg.

CoY is far more subjective, so I don't even know what arguments are valid.

Either way, those 2 went to an Ole Miss coach and USC player. Hardly blueblood conspiracies abound.

But the tinfoilers will keep their narrative since it helps them sleep at night since it must be "the man" keeping them down. Gotta blame somebody but ourselves.

Anyone look at Lunardi's latest bracket setup? We'll be lucky to get out of the sweet 16... hope I'm wrong, but just not getting the feels on how we match up with those teams at this point in the season... then would have to eventually play Virginia... we need to find our second wind in a bad way.

Anyone look at Lunardi's latest bracket setup? We'll be lucky to get out of the sweet 16... hope I'm wrong, but just not getting the feels on how we match up with those teams at this point in the season... then would have to eventually play Virginia... we need to find our second wind in a bad way.

Colgate, then Louisville, with Houston or Nevada? and then probably gotta beat Virginia...

The nice thing is Kentucky has that South #1...so if we beat them in the SECT we probably get that #1 seed. I know a lot of people say it's "decided" already, but I think with the way the ACC/SEC are lining up it'll be decided in the conference tournaments. South bracket would be interesting since we'd end up with a potential Elite Eight match-up with Duke.

I don't have a problem playing Houston in the SS. Could be much worse. But that's all his guess at this point. Not sure they would have us play Louisville in the 2nd round because we played them this year, but I guess it's possible.

But schools aren't just taking rich kids these days, and many rich people didn't rely on inheritances. They did it themselves by creating something that had demand or by being persistent, and anyone from any background can aspire to do that.

I would love to see the stats on this, just to put the topic to bed.

1) how many 10-millionaires exist in the US
2) how many of those gained the majority of their wealth via trust or inheritance
3) how many of those actually created something that lead to their wealth

Because I guarantee opposite ends of the spectrum are going to see things their own way.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
Yeah, that looks different. He won the player of the year twice, and didn't he set a record for free throws?

Yeah, so does winning twice count as two? :p

And it doesn't specify whose first-team All-American. AP's not out yet, although he should be on it too.

And it doesn't say anything about Olympics or NBA all-stars.

Also, you have to wait five years after exhausting playing eligibility unless you leave early, in which case it's eight years after leaving. Interesting that the latter seems to be geared to include the one-and-dones.

Reactions: JCP201

Yeah there’s nothing to it. I know because you say it in every post in every thread. Who finished ahead of Bone?

Reactions: chargervol
Colgate, then Louisville, with Houston or Nevada? and then probably gotta beat Virginia...

The nice thing is Kentucky has that South #1...so if we beat them in the SECT we probably get that #1 seed. I know a lot of people say it's "decided" already, but I think with the way the ACC/SEC are lining up it'll be decided in the conference tournaments. South bracket would be interesting since we'd end up with a potential Elite Eight match-up with Duke.
I don't have a problem playing Houston in the SS. Could be much worse. But that's all his guess at this point. Not sure they would have us play Louisville in the 2nd round because we played them this year, but I guess it's possible.

Now that we're effectively out of the running for a 1 seed, I don't really care about seeding. It's not going to be settled until Sunday anyways, so I'm just kind of along for the ride.

Bowden was no runaway like Grant was. Grant led every meaningful stat and way ahead in PER. Bowden trailed the winner in ppg, rpb, apg.

CoY is far more subjective, so I don't even know what arguments are valid.

Either way, those 2 went to an Ole Miss coach and USC player. Hardly blueblood conspiracies abound.

But the tinfoilers will keep their narrative since it helps them sleep at night since it must be "the man" keeping them down. Gotta blame somebody but ourselves.
What helps you sleep? Other than righting unfair aspersions 24/7/365, of course? 😉

Yeah, so does winning twice count as two? :p

And it doesn't specify whose first-team All-American. AP's not out yet, although he should be on it too.

And it doesn't say anything about Olympics or NBA all-stars.

Also, you have to wait five years after exhausting playing eligibility unless you leave early, in which case it's eight years after leaving. Interesting that the latter seems to be geared to include the one-and-dones.

I think Grant has plenty of awards to suggest he should be a potential jersey retiree candidate...SEC Champion last season too

HONORS
  • 2019 Sporting News First Team All-American
  • 2019 SEC Player of the Year (AP & Coaches)
  • 2019 All-SEC First Team (AP, unanimous)
  • 2019 All-SEC First Team (Coaches)
  • 2019 USBWA District IV Player of the Year
  • 2019 USBWA All-District IV Team
  • Dick Vitale's Midseason Player of the Year
  • Sports Illustrated Midseason All-America First Team
  • Sporting News Midseason All-America First Team
  • NCAA March Madness Player of the Week (March 4, 2019)
  • SEC Player of the Week (March 4, 2019)
  • Citizen Naismith Trophy Player of the Week (Jan. 28,2019)
  • Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week (Jan. 28, 2019)
  • NCAA March Madness Player of the Week (Jan. 28, 2019)
  • College Sports Madness National Player of the Week (Jan. 28, 2019)
  • SEC Player of the Week (Jan. 28, 2019)
  • Dick Vitale's Player of the Week (Jan. 27, 2019)
  • SEC Co-Player of the Week (Nov. 26, 2018)
  • Tennessee Sports Writers Association (TSWA) Player of the Week (Nov. 27, 2018)
  • 2018 NIT Season Tip-Off All-Tournament Team
  • 2018-19 Preseason SEC Player of the Year (Sports Illustrated, SEC Media, Lindy's, Blue Ribbon)
  • 2018-19 Preseason All-America Second Team (Athlon Sports)
  • 2018-19 Preseason All-America Third Team (Blue Ribbon, Lindy's)
  • 2018-19 Preseason All-SEC First Team (SEC Coaches, SEC Media, Athlon Sport, Blue Ribbon)
  • 2018 SEC Player of the Year
  • 2018 AP All-American Team (Honorable Mention)
  • 2018 All-SEC First Team (Coaches)
  • 2018 All-SEC First Team (AP, unanimous)
  • 2018 NABC All-District 21 Team
  • 2018 USBWA All-District IV Team
  • 2018 Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame Male Amateur Athlete of the Year
  • 2018 SEC Community Service Team
  • SEC Player of the Week (Jan. 15, 2018)
  • Tennessee Sports Writers Association (TSWA) Player of the Week (Nov. 28, 2017)
  • 2017-18 Preseason All-SEC (Coaches, second team)
  • 2017 SEC All-Freshman Team (Coaches)
  • SEC Co-Freshman of the Week (Feb. 13, 2017)

Reactions: hep and JCP201
I would love to see the stats on this, just to put the topic to bed.

1) how many 10-millionaires exist in the US
2) how many of those gained the majority of their wealth via trust or inheritance
3) how many of those actually created something that lead to their wealth

Because I guarantee opposite ends of the spectrum are going to see things their own way.

This topic can be discussed with much depth, but this probably isn't the place nor do I have the time. I think more people on the Forbes list made their wealth on their own as opposed to inheriting it. You can break that down to discuss whether a person is truly self-made when they had a nice life style growing up. But, middle class or even upper class does not mean you make millions (or billions). I would probably consider someone like Zuckerberg self made even though he was the son of a pychiatrist and dentist. They didn't make the money that he has.

I can't say that I am up on it, but I would guess that the Baby Boomers and the tech boom have created many self-made wealthy people. There were not that many around in the mid part of the 20th century.

I live in Nashville and Vanderbilt had it's pro-day today so i stopped by just to check it out. I spoke to a scout who was telling me his next stop was Tennessee. He said that he doesn't think Tennessee has anyone draftable but that he wants to make sure he goes to make an appearance because the feel is that they are going to have a lot of pros there in the future. The feel in the NFL circles is that UT will will have dudes and that with the systems they run on both sides of the ball they will be pro-ready guys. Just thought it was interesting that expectations of this staff being able to get it done on the developmental front have bubbled up to NFL personnel guys.
Barton Simmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back