Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

zhangliao04

I like to bake Orange Roughy, then cover the filet with a mix of Panko bread crumbs and Aiago or Parmesan cheese, splash with lemon juice, then put under the broiler for a couple of minutes until the bread crumbs/cheese mix starts to brown. With a twice-baked potato. Good stuff.
Gonna have to try this next time I see OR at the store. I usually just lathered it in butter, put lemon pepper seasoning on top and then after baking it I squeeze a lemon over the filet. I love cheese so I will have to try this.

BigorangeBoy

Isn't Tilapia genetically modified? Stuff is foul.
No, it’s a fish native to Africa. They found out years ago that it has the hardiness of carp - but does taste a little better. They have caught a few in the Ocoee as well as TN river system. Luckily they don’t screw up the native species.

One of the bigger Tilapia farms around is in Hamilton County.

I have concerns about some of the “farmed salmon”, some of these farms are in places like Vietnam - they use lots of anibiotics on the fish to deal with diseases from overcrowding AND use pink dye that’s injected into the fish during processing

Crazy Ivan

Catbone's Overreacting
Gonna have to try this next time I see OR at the store. I usually just lathered it in butter, put lemon pepper seasoning on top and then after baking it I squeeze a lemon over the filet. I love cheese so I will have to try this.
You are welcome in advance because you will be thanking me. That is good eats.

And yes, the more lemon the better on fish. I splash the fish before I bake it; then before I put it under the broiler, then again on the plate.

zhangliao04

No, it’s a fish native to Africa. They found out years ago that it has the hardiness of carp - but does taste a little better. They have caught a few in the Ocoee as well as TN river system. Luckily they don’t screw up the native species.

One of the bigger Tilapia farms around is in Hamilton County.

I have concerns about some of the “farmed salmon”, some of these farms are in places like Vietnam - they use lots of anibiotics on the fish to deal with diseases from overcrowding AND use pink dye that’s injected into the fish during processing
There is a lot more that is wrong with farmed salmon. Like you said, antibiotics and diseases are huge deals. Then you have the diet they feed them. Sure, it is anchovy-rich and mainly true to their diet, but it is killing off the anchovy population in the oceans which many others species use to feed off of as well. Also, a number of studies have shown that the health benefits have significantly decreased in farmed salmon compared to normal levels. Good fats like the highly diet-important omega's are less than half of the normal levels. Wild caught is the way to go.

zhangliao04

You are welcome in advance because you will be thanking me. That is good eats.

And yes, the more lemon the better on fish. I splash the fish before I bake it; then before I put it under the broiler, then again on the plate.
It's so good. Makes the meat more tender, too. OR doesn't really need more tendering, but maybe a steak fish like Mahi Mahi could.

Have you ever tried cooking a tuna steak? I bought one the other day and am thinking about how to cook it.

BigorangeBoy

There is a lot more that is wrong with farmed salmon. Like you said, antibiotics and diseases are huge deals. Then you have the diet they feed them. Sure, it is anchovy-rich and mainly true to their diet, but it is killing off the anchovy population in the oceans which many others species use to feed off of as well. Also, a number of studies have shown that the health benefits have significantly decreased in farmed salmon compared to normal levels. Good fats like the highly diet-important omega's are less than half of the normal levels. Wild caught is the way to go.
You are 100% correct.

TC 83

Chilean Seabass from Bonefish grill...GOAT
I also had some red snapper from a seafood restaurant in Destin, that sets up at the top with the Seabass from bonefish.
That is a good dish...but Chilean Seabass isn't really a fish. It's really a Patagonian Toothfish....which doesn't sound nearly as appetizing as (in fancy voice) Chilean Seabass.

VN Store

Sponsors