Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably end up getting north Texas DC

The pessimism is unwarranted IMO. So far, Butch has shown no tendency to dip into the bargain bin for coaches. So far all of his hires have been very well-respected (Thigpen, Martinez, Gillespie, Scott, Azzanni), or 'his guys'. All indications are that he isn't looking to stay in the family for this one, so I think we can expect somebody good - especially given the favorable situation UT is in right now.

Of the floated names, I'd prefer Shoop over Chizik but would be happy with either.

As a total career Chizik is at the top but so was Chief. I may be damn wrong but I think a coach is at his best on the way up. That's Shoop right now. Chizik brings a lot lot lot of experience to the table and he did bring UNC around quickly.

On the way up?

Shoop is 49.. Chiz is 54. Close in age.

I like how Chizik has been involved in extreme pressure games and situations / seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Gotta be Debord connection

curve ball. I was surprised he has actually never been DC except HS.

Hubbs said to add him and Ok St's D coordinator to the list. I didn't see anything about being a front runner though.

Seems way too risky, but if Butch feels Hoke is the guy then I trust the hire.

Only way hoke is the guy is if we miss on several and then really make Martinez the play caller and do a co DC to have hoke recruit. I don't see it getting past Chizik. If we miss on Shoop then Chizik will prob be doing cartwheels to Knox

On the way up?

Shoop is 49.. Chiz is 54. Close in age.

I like how Chizik has been involved in extreme pressure games and situations / seasons.

Career trajectory wise Shoop is in his first trip up the ladder. Chizik is on the rebound. Again Chizik has done a lot of amazing stuff in his time.

Reactions: Weezer
Career trajectory wise Shoop is in his first trip up the ladder. Chizik is on the rebound. Again Chizik has done a lot of amazing stuff in his time.

Oh yeah, gotcha. Well Chiz took time off after the AU debacle as head man. His D Coordinator days have all been trending up.

Hope its one of the two mentioned for sure.

Shoop would get me excited.

Chizik would make me cautiously optimistic.

Hoke would have me scratching my head and also have me popping some corn to enjoy while I watch the meltdown.

Brady Hoke could be a really good hire. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but he's a guy who has had success in the past and would probably benefit from a fresh start in a stable situation like Tennessee. Could be a sneaky good hire.

Very DeBord like. Someone everyone will moan about but would probably fit perfect here.

Reactions: 2 people
Brady Hoke could be a really good hire. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but he's a guy who has had success in the past and would probably benefit from a fresh start in a stable situation like Tennessee. Could be a sneaky good hire.

Very DeBord like. Someone everyone will moan about but would probably fit perfect here.

No experience as a DC or play caller though. No way he's a clear upgrade over Jancek.

Reactions: 3 people
Vandy screwed up not offering Shoop the HC position. He's the real reason behind those Vandy teams success (along with the historic weakness of the SEC East)

He would be a home run hire IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back