Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
An 11-1 UT, UGA and Bama is the nightmare scenario no one wants (except Bama). Three of the four best teams cannibalizing each other and letting a team from a less demanding conference with a weaker SOS take a spot is what the SEC is trying to avoid by expanding the playoffs.

The playoff rankings have room for subjectivity, and UT has had a special season. The Vols are a fun watch, produce high TV ratings, have a Heisman-hopeful QB and travel well. A 13-0, 12-1 or 11-1 UT should be in, as long as the Vols don't lose to UGA, who then loses to Bama in the SECCG. If that happens, we'll be cannibalized.

An 11-1 UT, UGA and Bama is the nightmare scenario no one wants (except Bama). Three of the four best teams cannibalizing each other and letting a team from a less demanding conference with a weaker SOS take a spot is what the SEC is trying to avoid by expanding the playoffs.

The playoff rankings have room for subjectivity, and UT has had a special season. The Vols are a fun watch, produce high TV ratings, have a Heisman-hopeful QB and travel well. A 13-0, 12-1 or 11-1 UT should be in, as long as the Vols don't lose to UGA, who then loses to Bama in the SECCG. If that happens, we'll be cannibalized.
Or the committee does the right thing and puts 3 SEC teams in.

I'm more on the McGill side of optimist/pessimist for this game. If they are able to slow us down on offense, I'm not sure how they are going to do it. But if anyone can, it will be this defense.

One thing I heard mentioned today that piqued my optimism a little Matt Dixon on Basilio's show with a little theory. He posited that the crown noise Kirby is begging for will actually hurt UGA more than us. Crowd noise is generally louder and more helpful when a team is on defense. But with our pace, a defense needs to be able to communicate faster, more accurately and more efficiently than usual against us. And crowd noise probably doesn't help them out in that situation. I like it.

I'm more on the McGill side of optimist/pessimist for this game. If they are able to slow us down on offense, I'm not sure how they are going to do it. But if anyone can, it will be this defense.

One thing I heard mentioned today that piqued my optimism a little Matt Dixon on Basilio's show with a little theory. He posited that the crown noise Kirby is begging for will actually hurt UGA more than us. Crowd noise is generally louder and more helpful when a team is on defense. But with our pace, a defense needs to be able to communicate faster, more accurately and more efficiently than usual against us. And crowd noise probably doesn't help them out in that situation. I like it.

Byron Young has actually mentioned that it's easier for the defense to play in road games because they can hear each other to make calls, so this theory checks out. And our defense played great at LSU...was actually our best showing against a P5 team until we thumped Kentucky.

I get that they don't want it to look like the SEC and Big10 have a lot of bias from the committee, but why not just do 2 from each and 4-5 from G5?. Make sure there's no argument. That demographic looks like a near foregone conclusion that say, a TCU or Kansas St would get in over a 1-loss SEC team. And how many of the 4 G5 members are affiliated with schools that are soon to join the Big12?

Yeah, I have no idea how the committee is formed and never looked into the members because I never had a reason to because UT was never in the convo haha. But yeah, it makes sense what you said. Make it even across the board.

I also don’t love the idea of the majority of the committee being Athletic Directors getting a say in the matter. Maybe all 7 of these ADs are actually really knowledgeable and have very high football IQ, but how do we know there aren’t some Mike Hamiltons mixed in that committee? 😂

I’ll throw this out there, too… If you remember, LSU’s defense was shaky to start the year and got better and better as the year went on. Anyone see something similar with that as well?
There are synchronicities all over the place from great sports moments. From 1999-00 Oklahoma/Heupel, the muffed a fg then make a game winner, LSU comparisons, tear down fgs, Leonard Little/Banks hit, slaughter looking like the Ali pic, Vols letters, etc. Year 2, the Team of Destiny!

I want to know how the winner of this game only has an 80% chance to make playoffs. Winning this game and then losing the SEC Championship will still be 100% in the playoffs. Basically these stats think that the winner of this game has a 20% chance to lose one of their remaining regular season games?!?! That seems way too high. Anything can happen, obviously, but if UT wins Saturday the chance they lose to either Mizzou/USCe/Vandy is miniscule. I would say the same for UGA and whoever they play down the stretch.
Probably compounding the percentages of winning the last 3 games. We're probably like 90-95% favored to win each game individually, but only 80% likely to win all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back