Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching To’oto’o move on the video and he just looks like a different level athlete at that position that we haven’t had. Makes the others look meh

Our DL seems more athletic in drills

This. Seeing Henry glide through the drill and then watching Peterson is night and day.

Byron Doss (fiddle) was my Stats Prof at UT....”Like a fox on the run”
“She walked through the corn leading down to the river, her hair shown like gold in the hot mornin’ sun. She took all the love that a poor boy could give her, then left me die like a fox on the run...”

and? quality standup is a dying art. all we have left are shock jocks, Dave Chapelle and Jim Gaffigan are unique to my argument.

I won't even dive deep here, just say this is off base. Plenty of great standup these days and Netflix is an excellent avenue for so many of them. If you have Sirius, there are great stand up stations there...excellent for long drives.

As for shock or cleanness - are people forgetting Carlin, Pryor, Murphy, Dangerfield, Bruce, Foxx!? C'mon.

Also enjoy Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Lots of great conversations between comics of all types that gives you a great feel of what makes them tick. Spoiler: they're not that complicated 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Go Fight Win
Some of my likely somewhat over-reactions to our first workout in fall camp:

According to NFL scouts when evaluating defensive tackles and/or nose tackles (for the 3-4 scheme) and their readiness to compete in the league they look for 1) agility and athleticism, in particular, quickness and strength, 2) technique, specifically, hand use and leverage, and 3) their ability to read and react at the speed of the game. The same applies to defensive ends in the 3-4 scheme with the added physical trait of flexibility.

The nose tackles should be a bit shorter but very strong according to what I’ve read so I’m thinking obviously Simmons is the guy. He’s quick, athletic, and I think it was Taylor at SEC media days that said Simmons might be the strongest guy on the team. He probably has to work on his technique; I don’t know where he’s at on that, but the read and react is likely going to require a significant number of reps in scrimmages and/or games. Right now I’m kind of expecting to see him in action against Georgia State. I absolutely did not think that before seeing him in this first workout. We’ll see.

Obviously it’s the first day and no pads but I thought Williams looked good too, from an agility and athletic standpoint. What we’re lacking with both of these guys is the adjustment to the speed of the game in the SEC, a.k.a., the knowledge and understanding of what we’re trying to do so that they have almost an automatic ability to read and react at the peak of their athletic potential.

The guy I was most impressed with based on the glimpses we got from the first workout was Henry To’oto’o. His athleticism and “smoothness” looks exceptional. I don’t know how fast he will pick up the defense to the point he can read and react at SEC speed of the game but I’ll be shocked if he’s not first team All-SEC at some point in his career with us. Even though we only had a peek at the workout on Friday, I came away thinking Henry is probably the best player on the team, from a potential standpoint. My first impression is that he’s another guy that is likely to see early playing time and I won’t be surprised at all to see him moving rapidly up the depth chart as the season progresses. I know the plan is to try to get our best 22 players on the field but I think we need to try to get 22 Henry To’oto’os on the field because if we did, in my opinion, no matter who we go up against we’d have the best team on the field. jmo.

Two other guys I won’t be surprised based on my initial impressions (and no pads) to make some moves in this fall camp are Emerson and Bumphus. jmo.

All right, what I heard. Bruce and Stew(?) trying everything they could to bait David into just crapping on TN and David trying to refuse to do so without sounding like a homer.

David's "negative" comments - whoever picked TN to win the entire SEC was probably trolling.

Our top 15 power index relies too much on returning talent because they may get beat out by new guys.
And too much on assumptions those players were developed every year since their arrival (shot at Jones)

Also talked TN possible return to elite status.

Ha ha - well I guess I just heard it differently. Must have been my state of mind. I hadn’t listened to that podcast in a while because they talk about off the field stuff that is less interesting to me. When I saw Ubben joined, I was intrigued. Mandell and Feldman both in the past have said very favorable things about Tennessee’s status in the college football world and I though maybe Ubben would share some tangible nuggets of optimism. In that frame of mind, the tone came off very negative relative to what I’ve heard from them in the past, so that’s probably why I took it so negatively. Oh well. Nowhere to go but up and we’ve got to earn back our reputation on the field.

“She walked through the corn leading down to the river, her hair shown like gold in the hot mornin’ sun. She took all the love that a poor boy could give her, then left me die like a fox on the run...”

Some great memories right there.....I think I have their vinyl album with that song included.

Reactions: SmokinBob
I won't even dive deep here, just say this is off base. Plenty of great standup these days and Netflix is an excellent avenue for so many of them. If you have Sirius, there are great stand up stations there...excellent for long drives.

As for shock or cleanness - are people forgetting Carlin, Pryor, Murphy, Dangerfield, Bruce, Foxx!? C'mon.

Also enjoy Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Lots of great conversations between comics of all types that gives you a great feel of what makes them tick. Spoiler: they're not that complicated 😂

Prob best.

CiCGC. Decent. Liked the one with Eddie Murphy. Seth Rogen started strong but, he's typa guy that unless he has a script...just isnt that funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back