Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we also talk about how terrible the refs were? I truly think we should of had 1st down on that one Hooker run in the 4th and it should of been 1st and goal from the 2 yd line.

I hope those refs were reported for how egregious a lot of those calls were.

There’s a thread in the FF about this, but I’m still absolutely confused by the sequence of events surrounding the almost-kick-six.

It was a field goal attempt, not a punt. TN catches the missed attempt and advances the ball.

Refs call a questionable block in back on us, but also an offsetting equivalent penalty on Pitt.

Of all the outcomes I thought of as they conferenced that call, simply handing the ball back to Pitt for a do-over was not ANYWHERE on my list of what was likely to happen next.

I kept waiting for someone to whistle from on-high and correct the situation.

What the heck was that?! Am I way off base in being confused by that?

Kind of a hot take question, but is JH our Helton? Helton was the easy choice, that got them out of their sanctions, and kind of steadied the ship for them. Now, theyre a more stable program and probably in a place where theyll be able to land one of the big fish if they want them.

I didn't finish watching the UT vs Pitt game until a few minutes ago. You guys have already discussed this, but I don't know why the networks can't find announcers who first and foremost are objective with their commentary. If they're going to allow that much bias (at least one of them was clearly pro Pittsburgh), they should let each team provide their own announcers and give the customers a choice of which to hear.

Kind of a hot take question, but is JH our Helton? Helton was the easy choice, that got them out of their sanctions, and kind of steadied the ship for them. Now, theyre a more stable program and probably in a place where theyll be able to land one of the big fish if they want them.

I’m going to say yes, but I hope he takes us to the promise land

Reactions: VolNash17
In my mind JH's playing experience distinguishes him. Much easier for him to find connection with the players while keeping championship goals clearly in focus.

Reactions: tnktm and SoilVol
How does your VFL friend think he is doing in practice?
Not even sure how many he has been to. Like I’ve said, I don’t give a flip what anyone does in practice. It only matters on game day. Yet your contact who sees a lot of practice made you believe Milton was gonna save us and was on fire. And you keep putting down Bailey and Hooker and disregarding Miltons terrible performances. Practice warriors aren’t for me.

Folks need to watch a replay of the game. Even with limited field of vision from the camera shots you can see that in the entire first quarter, there were open receivers on nearly every pass play. More than half had secondary receivers open. From one step to 15 yards open. Milton did not even need to throw the bomb to Hyatt, He had a wide open receiver in the middle of the field in his field of vision at the right hashmark 25 yards downfield that could have strolled into the end zone. But what choice did he make? It's all there for anybody to view who wants to know. As many have posted that 10 points should have been 21 and the game would have been very different. The defense would have been much fresher and the team would have the momentum.

So, Milton will get another shot to learn to read coverages and find the open receivers with a catchable throws against UF because the next game is not relevant to that process. Let's see what happens. Want him to figure it out if Heup plays him.

I feel like the orange and white game does not matter bc we don’t know who was on the field or how it is set up….. usually it is just a show for fans….. in practice…. They try to simulate circumstance and put each QB in them…. Film them and determine who is the best option…. Has your VFL friend seen these practices or not?
Wasn’t me big guy.

Hooker or Bailey will get thrown into the heart of our schedule and struggle and all we will hear is “I told you so” even though they won’t be given much in game reps before. Be prepared. It’s coming. Just like last year. Big arm Joe will get next week then we will panic play another QB at the swamp if he doesn’t play well against TTU. Let’s hope it clicks for Joe.

Hooker or Bailey will get thrown into the heart of our schedule and struggle and all we will hear is “I told you so” even though they won’t be given much in game reps before. Be prepared. It’s coming. Just like last year. Big arm Joe will get next week then we will panic play another QB at the swamp if he doesn’t play well against TTU. Let’s hope it clicks for Joe.
We know how this ends.

Folks need to watch a replay of the game. Even with limited field of vision from the camera shots you can see that in the entire first quarter, there were open receivers on nearly every pass play. More than half had secondary receivers open. From one step to 15 yards open. Milton did not even need to throw the bomb to Hyatt, He had a wide open receiver in the middle of the field in his field of vision at the right hashmark 25 yards downfield that could have strolled into the end zone. But what choice did he make? It's all there for anybody to view who wants to know. As many have posted that 10 points should have been 21 and the game would have been very different. The defense would have been much fresher and the team would have the momentum.

So, Milton will get another shot to learn to read coverages and find the open receivers with a catchable throws against UF because the next game is not relevant to that process. Let's see what happens. Want him to figure it out if Heup plays him.
This is what I want to know… our receivers are wide open. You can’t tell me one of the 3 can’t see them. I don’t care if they’re bombs or not as long as we scored I don’t care if we nickel dime teams down the field. But but but BIG ARM looks good.

I didn't finish watching the UT vs Pitt game until a few minutes ago. You guys have already discussed this, but I don't know why the networks can't find announcers who first and foremost are objective with their commentary. If they're going to allow that much bias (at least one of them was clearly pro Pittsburgh), they should let each team provide their own announcers and give the customers a choice of which to hear.
That is what disgusted me most about this game. I could not believe the 20 minute commentary about Manning and Pickett. The comment about Manning wanting to come watch Pickett play this game was over the top. I know ESPN is always down on Tennessee, but the commentary in this game took it to a new level.

That is what disgusted me most about this game. I could not believe the 20 minute commentary about Manning and Pickett. The comment about Manning wanting to come watch Pickett play this game was over the top. I know ESPN is always down on Tennessee, but the commentary in this game took it to a new level.
Pickett was Mannings best friend-- while playing in the stadium with his name everywhere you look. It was way OTT even for ESPN.

Last edited:
Pretty sure all those teams played hard at the beginning two games in..

Don’t think so.

Remember Pruitt crying at halftime of the Georgia game because he felt the team finally fought for him? That was after totally uncompetitive games against WVU and UF.

Butch, same thing. Utterly embarrassed by Oregon and Florida with questions about whether players were pulling in the same direction before the spirited loss to Georgia in 2013. Butch called the team out after Oregon.

Dooley was headed towards the worst year in program history at 2-6, before reeling off 4 straight wins. I think it was the loss at USC with Bray coming in late that helped turn the corner.

Heupel’s team is playing hard right out of the box.

I think this is one of the storylines that is unique to the Heupel era that isn't getting enough attention.

Last edited:
Not even sure how many he has been to. Like I’ve said, I don’t give a flip what anyone does in practice. It only matters on game day. Yet your contact who sees a lot of practice made you believe Milton was gonna save us and was on fire. And you keep putting down Bailey and Hooker and disregarding Miltons terrible performances. Practice warriors aren’t for me.
I don’t think Milton is going to save us… just that he won the job…. What you call putting down is just things I have been told about practice…. This conversation isn’t about that though…. I was asking if anyone had heard any positives about Bailey from inside the program…. You said yes plenty and I asked for examples.

Don’t think so.

Remember Pruitt crying at halftime of the Georgia game because he felt the team finally fought for him? That was after totally uncompetitive games against WVU and UF.

Butch, same thing. Utterly embarrassed by Oregon and Florida with questions about whether players were pulling in the same direction before the spirited loss to Georgia in 2013. Butch called the team out after Oregon.

Dooley was headed towards the worst year in program history at 2-6, before reeling off 4 straight wins. I think it was the loss at USC with Bray coming in late that helped turn the corner.

Heupel’s team is playing hard right out of the box.

I think this is one of the storylines that is unique to the Heupel era that isn't getting enough attention.
yep
They don’t stop
Maximum effort especially on defense
Keep it up and wins will come, I expect to see a big improvement throughout the season and into next season

This is what I want to know… our receivers are wide open. You can’t tell me one of the 3 can’t see them. I don’t care if they’re bombs or not as long as we scored I don’t care if we nickel dime teams down the field. But but but BIG ARM looks good.

It’s not about it looking good it’s about expanding the defense and not letting them get extra guys in the box. If you don’t have someone to make them respect the deep half of the field, you’re in trouble in this league. There’s really no other way around it.

I don't know crap about what anyone has done in practice, but I can say with certainty that Milton cannot complete passes with any consistency in a game. My bet is they still start him unless he's injured. All season long. It will be up to the defense this year to win games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back