Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m pulling hard for Beckwith to get a shot because my goodness he is a specimen. Seeing him in pads Saturday he is an intimidating looking player. I am starting to think his attitude may be what is hindering him. While everyone is warming up doing something he was just standing around chit chatting with some off field coach or student manager. He did start doing stuff when everyone was out in pads but before he wasn’t using the time out there to work on anything like the rest. Also I think Whitehead likely would get run before him as Whitehead is running on special teams units and also seems more engaged on sidelines. Those little things can put you over top of someone. I just unfortunately think Beckwith is one of those guys that thinks he should just be on field and sad part is he probably would do well once on it but got to earn it in everything else you do.

That’s not true…. We hired one of the biggest staffs in college football with lane kiffin…. He bailed on us so late that we were stuck with an interim or Dooley…. The next time…. We had one of the hottest commodities in college football Charlie strong hired…. He bailed on us for Texas and we got Butch Jones….. After Jones….. we had the absolute meltdown of a coaching search which led to every coach around the country turning us down…. It led to Pruitt…. This year we tried to get Franklin or other big name coaches…. They turned us down so we got Heup ….. we couldn’t even hire away the Oklahoma state coach….. we have to make coaches and recruits want to come to our university…. Making it a positive environment helps.
Not hiring Gary Patterson was the biggest mistake Hamilton could have made.

I think it’s mental for him now. He desperately needs to hit one and get some confidence.
Hope he figures it out because he is honestly our best chance at wins. But, if he doesn’t I think you eventually see Hooker benched and Bailey in at some point lol. Man wouldn’t that be crazy (especially if Bailey came in playing lights out 😂)

Wonder if Milton does well in practice because our secondary has been slaw for years?

I mean, I'm sure some of us could show out against our secondary, especially when they rotate guys reps.

Reactions: volinbama256
He was better at VT than Milton was at Michigan.

I think the problem with Hooker is he limits some of the boundary and deep ball packages but at this point you would rather have a underthrow deep ball that kid has a chance than an overthrow. Underthrow can get penalty calls along with catches. I do worry about the long sideline throws with him. However he has pluses too. He is much better seeing the middle of field. His legs are very dangerous.

If I was the staff, I would start Hooker then make Milton Live in practice to get him in the game like situations with adrenaline pumping and not an easy drop back no contact spot. I think at this point it’s your only shot to get him worked through his issues.

I think the problem with Hooker is he limits some of the boundary and deep ball packages but at this point you would rather have a underthrow deep ball that kid has a chance than an overthrow. Underthrow can get penalty calls along with catches. I do worry about the long sideline throws with him. However he has pluses too. He is much better seeing the middle of field. His legs are very dangerous.

If I was the staff, I would start Hooker then make Milton Live in practice to get him in the game like situations with adrenaline pumping and not an easy drop back no contact spot. I think at this point it’s your only shot to get him worked through his issues.

Hooker gives off Dobbs vibes. I'm honestly surprised more people aren't onboard with that.

Hope he figures it out because he is honestly our best chance at wins. But, if he doesn’t I think you eventually see Hooker benched and Bailey in at some point lol. Man wouldn’t that be crazy (especially if Bailey came in playing lights out 😂)
People will be pissed at Heup for the rest of the time he is here if that happens. 😂

I think it’s mental for him now. He desperately needs to hit one and get some confidence.

Yeah that's what sucks and for coaches it's gotta be tough. You know without a shadow of a doubt the guy can do it, the players around him also know he can do it. But then it's like how do you get him out of his own head?

Sometimes ya have to praise in the face of negativity and sometimes ya gotta tear into their ass.

Barnes seems to know how to do this well.

Last edited:
Reactions: drvenner
Wonder if Milton does well in practice because our secondary has been slaw for years?

I mean, I'm sure some of us could show out against our secondary, especially when they rotate guys reps.

Overthrowing and firing bullets has nothing to do with the secondary. He does well in practice because he's putting out a fraction of the adrenaline he does in a game. The only way a coach can know he can't overcome that is to try to let him do so in a game situation. Heupel isn't Pruitt or Butch. He isn't going to let that continue if there is no hope.

Crazy to think our defense plays harder and faster in 2 games under new DC than under a defensive guru in Pruitt. I love how this staff uses Banks and Jackson. The development of Banks in such a short period is fantastic. While we gave up points, Pitt had to absolutely earn every yard outside of penalties. There was no just easy right down the field with no challenge or punching back. Even on their scoring drives their were plays to be made and we hit them in the mouth and forced Pickett to be a playmaker. We were close to sacks on third down a few times that would have stopped scoring drives.

Oh and no more Page please. Need to roll 3 man rotation or give another younger guy with similar talent level a shot to get better

Overthrowing and firing bullets has nothing to do with the secondary. He does well in practice because he's putting out a fraction of the adrenaline he does in a game. The only way a coach can know he can't overcome that is to try to let him do so in a game situation. Heupel isn't Pruitt or Butch. He isn't going to let that continue if there is no hope.
This is true….. I have no doubt he will figure out the QB position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back