Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t see that coming either. I expected him to be able to push that big body thru contact 2-3 yards
That choice to try to take his slow motion ass to the outside instead of cutting it up field for the first down grinds my gears. I hope he sees it on tape, fixes it for Pitt and feels good about it.

Last edited:
Most disappointing part of Milton was his running game. Best way to describe his running was he looks like Tarzan and runs like Jane. I was very surprised how glaring he shied away from physical contact at the line to gain.

He needs to move UP the field instead of bouncing out to avoid contact. He gave up yards doing that. In SEC play he’s going to get smothered.

Most disappointing part of Milton was his running game. Best way to describe his running was he looks like Tarzan and runs like Jane. I was very surprised how glaring he shied away from physical contact at the line to gain.
I thought he has some nice designed runs. He got hurt last year, prob just gun shy. Hope his issues can be worked on and corrected in practice.

I think UT is stuck in the CFB equivalent to the Curse of the Bambino (84 yr drought), although ours is called the Curse of the Pumpkin (aka Fulmer). The drought will end but probably not in my lifetime (and I’m 40). I’ve already embraced it so makes life as a VOLS fan so, so, so much easier. UT doesn’t care about championships, otherwise they would have already ponied up the $$$ for a coaching staff that could have gotten us one over the last decade. UT is a middle of the pack SEC East team at best. Will be that way for years to come, especially with expansion. Spend time with with the family, especially (grand) kiddos if you’ve got them and just laugh and shrug off the ineptness and mediocrity of UT and life will be much more enjoyable.
One day one might realize that no one wanted to coach here no matter the $$$$.

One day one might realize that no one wanted to coach here no matter the $$$$.

Gruden went to the Raiders so I actually think we could have landed him here, but in 2021 I'm not convinced he would have even been very good. We also didn't entertain Hugh Freeze, for good reason, but someone will and will have a heck of a coach.

thinking Milton is not as good of a runner as most thought, but I would have to believe he was told to go down after first contact, no need to grind for another couple of yards and get hurt against BG...

All new coaches, all new scheme, tons of new players. There were bound to be some execution errors. Hopefully the team improves as the season goes on. They actually looked like they’d been coached, unlike last season, so there’s reason to be optimistic that we can get better with guys getting more game reps and practice time.

I’m shocked at the complaining in here. Maybe I shouldn’t be BUT did Milton throw it to the other team? No. Did he make all correct reads? No. Did he have a decent game? Yes. Is there room for improvement? Yes.

The biggest question though…..Are his mistakes correctable? Yes. You can teach through game film and he can get better as the season goes. We’ve had a qb whose mistakes were not correctable. I’ll gladly sit on this side of the fence.

Just because he's big doesn't mean he needs to take a bunch of unnecessary contact. Most qbs would slide in those situations. My biggest concern was he doesn't seem to flat-out go. Sort of indecisive. He seemed a little slower than I expected. Maybe it's because he's so big he appears slow.

Think we see him improve on this or do we just think that’s who he is?
I think it's probably a guy not wanting to risk injury in a blowout game against a nonconference opponent. We're thin at a lot of positions and trying to show out too much against opponents we are beating by 14+ points is a good way to completely screw us in future games. If a game is on the line I'm sure he gives it a little more gusto. That run where he cartwheeled into the end zone was too risky for the situation.

Honestly., I'm just getting tired of HB being painted as our QB savior. Maybe the kid is a gamer, and maybe he plays better when the lights come on, but right now, he has not beat out Milton, and Milton didn't mess up enough to get pulled. Had we dominated the game, we probably would have seen HB at some point, but we didn't.

Milton has a lot he needs to improve on. A whole lot. Hopefully we see that first game to second game jump.
Bailey is currently third string for a reason. The staff believes he is the third best option at this time. To me, that makes it as simple as it can be. The backup is not the fan's favorite player, but the third string QB sure as hell is.

Reactions: BisonVol
Bailey is currently third string for a reason. The staff believes he is the third best option at this time. To me, that makes it as simple as it can be. The backup is not the fan's favorite player, but the third string QB sure as hell is.
I think that Hooker being a running threat and more similar to Milton is the primary reason for why he would be the back up if Milton goes down.

I should have clarified. When I say 4-5 years I don’t mean it will take that long to win some big games. As time passes I also think we can progress into being a competitive team in year 3 and have a chance at beating teams like UF. I’m referring more to high level success like beating the top tier in the league. That will take longer, but there’s a chasm between us and them.
I tend to agree. If Heupel can find a good to great QB, it might accelerate it a little.

I’m very pleased with the win. I don’t expect us to be an amazing team this year but we did some things very well. The competition wasn’t great but we did what we should in many areas. Our DL dominated them. Our OL played pretty good. Our running backs played great. Most importantly in a game like this though our team looked pretty well coached and disciplined. No pre snap issues, our offense and defensive schemes looked improved from Pruitts. We are going to settle in and hit on some of these deep balls. Usually early in the year the offense is behind defenses. While I don’t know that any QB on roster is the all star we hoped for I trust Heupel to get decent play from the QB or at least go with what’s working to give us a chance to win. We are definitely far behind many SEC teams but we won convincingly. I’m not saying there wasn’t bad in the game because their definitely was however there was arguably more good. Theo played great. Tremblay played like a man! We had quite a few deflections on the DL. Plenty of good and a W! GBO 🍊

I’m not super down, I just believe there are some red flags with Milton. We’ll know a lot more next week because Pitt won’t let us run to win the game. We will have to pass the ball successfully. We beat Pitt if we can throw for 300+
I agree with that

Reactions: UTJoe
I’m shocked at the complaining in here. Maybe I shouldn’t be BUT did Milton throw it to the other team? No. Did he make all correct reads? No. Did he have a decent game? Yes. Is there room for improvement? Yes.

The biggest question though…..Are his mistakes correctable? Yes. You can teach through game film and he can get better as the season goes. We’ve had a qb whose mistakes were not correctable. I’ll gladly sit on this side of the fence.
My thoughts as well. The guy has had a couple months to learn this system. I think a lot of our drives against good competition will look like the first drive of the game. This was an easy win and the kids were going for highlight big plays on a lot of the passes. I expect a lot more dink and dunk against competitive teams. 5 yards passes all the way down the field really loosen up the D for the running game to attack or the big shot over the middle when the safeties creep up. If they don't creep up, then keep taking 5 at a time and destroy them by a thousand cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back