Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly., I'm just getting tired of HB being painted as our QB savior. Maybe the kid is a gamer, and maybe he plays better when the lights come on, but right now, he has not beat out Milton, and Milton didn't mess up enough to get pulled. Had we dominated the game, we probably would have seen HB at some point, but we didn't.

Milton has a lot he needs to improve on. A whole lot. Hopefully we see that first game to second game jump.

Going to need it. Pitt is way better than BG.

He had a bad fumble.
Finally you have something tangible. There was criticism earlier on the level at which he holds the ball. That might have been a contributing factor on the fumble while being sacked. He did have a solid game rushing the ball--even in the end zone a couple of times. More will be revealed.

33-27 Vols.
I am thinking it will be a mid twenties one score toss up game..unless..Milton and Hyatt and the receivers play better. If/when they click, this offense will be hard to stop. If I am Narduzzi, I am stacking the box, shutting down the run game, and making Milton hit his recievers consistently to move the ball...

I don't want to say he can't do it, but I have a hard time seeing it after his and the recievers performance tonight.

Last edited:
This is some sh** that is going to take a long long time to fix. Everything was just so off tonight. Fortunately Heupel has nothing but time because there is no where else for us to turn. He needs 5 years

We ran because there was a soft box all night. BG expected us to air it all over the place just like we all did, but one hallmark of heupel’s offenses is taking what the defense gives you and making them pay for it. Milton wasn’t perfect but we ran because we were doing it well, not because Milton wasn’t cutting it. In fact, I suspect miltons performance was at least in part due to not being able to get into a rhythm bc the running game was humming. His opening two drives were great bc he was in his stride.
BG played Zone basically all night. Corners never went into man and the safeties were playing wayyyy back. They were expecting the deep ball and got a heavy run game

Milton was super inconsistent, but I can see why the coaches like him. Give him some good coaching and theres talent there to be developed.
My only two other real takeaways, I like our two backs Evans and Small are both solid.
Garner has the D line putting in work, that could be an advantage against some of the lesser SEC schools. Getting pressure with just 4 makes a huge difference, and I loved seeing us actually run some twists and stunts

326 yards rushing…. Last time that happened?

“All told Tennessee ran for 326 yards and had a ‘sack adjusted’ average of 5.5 yards per attempt.

It was the first time the Vols have rushed for more than 300 yards in a game since going for 345 against UTEP in 2018. It was the first time two players had cracked the century mark in the same game since Josh Dobbs and John Kelly pulled it off against Missouri in 2016.”

Per Volquest

I definitely underrated Gabriel's down field accuracy. Milton does not have that yet.
Gabriel throws a nice ball. Arm isn’t the strongest, but he puts it where he wants to and knows how to throw a back shoulder. I’m not sure you can really teach that downfield touch. Bailey showed it in the spring game. Still waiting to see it from Milton or Hooker.

Judging on today. This team will need to focus on run game and let that be it’s bread and butter at least to start the season and let the pass game find themselves along the way. I’d give a heavy dose of Small/Evans all year with how they looked today. Evans looks really really good
Evans is going to be a straight beast. I love his style. If he can stay healthy, he will be a 2nd to 3rd round pick.

Honestly., I'm just getting tired of HB being painted as our QB savior. Maybe the kid is a gamer, and maybe he plays better when the lights come on, but right now, he has not beat out Milton, and Milton didn't mess up enough to get pulled. Had we dominated the game, we probably would have seen HB at some point, but we didn't.

Milton has a lot he needs to improve on. A whole lot. Hopefully we see that first game to second game jump.
It's not just Milton he didn't beat. He hasn't beat Hooker either.

Everyone wants to see Bailey, the third string quarterback, as if they forget Hooker exists.

I guess I'm in the minority that I think Hooker might be the best QB for this offense right now. Better runner than Milton. Lesser arm, but has shown the ability to put touch on the ball and throw to open space. But Milton didn't lose the job tonight either, and that's worth something.

Some thoughts:

- pretty good crowd, glad to see the student section looked full
- the kids looked like they were having fun playing football; that has been missing the last few years
- the D played solid. The two long drives by BG in the 2Q aside, I thought they had a great night. Good tackling, good angles, good pressure, good coverage
- Oline had a really good night. Gave the QB plenty of time and created holes for the RBs
- WR were underwhelming. Waaaay too many drops
- Our first two drives of the game, I thought we were going to score 70. Then BG made a couple adjustments and Milton never found any rhythm again. Was not impressed by Milton.
- in this scheme, 3 and outs will kill us. We have to be able string first downs together. Against a good team, the way we played in the 2Q would get us beat.
- Overall, we have a long long way to go. We don’t have the horses to beat the majority of the teams on our schedule. When you look at recruiting, we aren’t bringing in elite talent. Unfortunately it seems like there is very little to be positive about, whether looking at this game, the rest of this season, or even into the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back