Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pruitt’s classes remind me far more of Dooley’s classes than CBJs (not sure where he comes in but I’m not sure you can say Pruitt’s were any better given their records). Dooley had a few heavy hitters, especially at the skills positions, but were meh over all. Neither Pruitt nor Dooley produced mega classes that a school like UT would have to cross too many lines for (just your usual level of p5 shenanigans). They were mainly ok with some genuine stars which is the point here. Pruitt shouldn’t have had to cheat his balls off for classes like he got. The press is acting like he was recruiting like Kirby and Saban but his classes were nowhere close to that. And UT coaches haven’t had to perform super human levels of cheating to get classes similar to Pruitt’s.
It's not a comparison at all though. Dooley's best full class was like 13th with 27 people. Last year Pruitt was 10 with like 22 people and is currently 15th with 20 people. It's also not just in a few positions, our actual roster is probably going to clear the Blue chip ratio across the board this year, unless those transfers and decommits happen. Dooley also went an ENTIRE cycle without recruiting an OL. I'm sorry, but the recruiting was 100% better than under Butch and Dooley and it's really not close.

Reactions: PA Vol and jlawso21
hm.

i'm thinking about this. i think we'd all agree Kirby was more qualified than pruitt, correct? well i'd put Tony Elliot on the same line as Kirby Smart in terms of coordinators that matter most at Clemson....

so, if im trying to buy an Elliot hire, or sell it...i'm pointing right at Kirby Smart and saying "that's what we just did, just with clemson, not Bama"

still, i go back to the comments by CDP, and can't see us going coordinator route....i believe her, we're getting a sitting HC.
Kirby is a joke too. Got handed the most talented roster in America in the most talented HS State and can’t win the big one

The magic word there is INPUT.

I think this is exactly right. I can see the meeting with the players being a discussion of who THE PLAYERS want and that will allow the AD to get a feel for where the teams head is at. They will not tell the players first. Unfortunately the players find out about the same time as us now, because all of them have instant access to the world and will post who it is, if they knew for sure. Not to say I wouldn’t like to be a fly on the wall to hear the discussion but I do not think our new AD will tell them for sure who we are even targeting let alone hiring.

Reactions: windrider
I’ve done my best to be the non-ambiguous guy. I’m about to shift a bit. Yesterday all the existing staff were reminded that the have NDA’s and that a coaching search is proprietary information. I’m sure this comes from the fact that the athletic department is gutted and there are no channels for discussing things with press. The last few pieces of news have made it to this board before they’ve gone to selected news outlets. The national sources that the university prefers are Feldman at CBS, and Lowe at ESPN. They’d like the news to go there first for maximum effect. Yesterday both were scooped by journalists reading the board. I have interrogated my friend three times today, and am stuck with a handful of magic beans. I don’t know enough to be of use. I think that will change as we get closer. So, I can share a few things I know, and one semi-cryptic answer that I think is helpful, but probably non-satisfactory. White arrives today. Will meet players. Will do press conference. Will talk to Steele. Will fly to meet a candidate, supposedly in a neutral location. I get the feeling we have a coach already from what I’ve heard. While UT could not walk the line of waiting for investigation results and officially looking for a coach, unofficially, they’ve been looking for awhile. In fact (here’s the cryptic part) My friend says White was recommended by our future coach. My friend was willing to share that we pursued five candidates, but not willing to share who. The five are impressive according to him. One is perceived as the top of the pyramid, and is probably the source of the big number discussed. I read that to be Campbell, but that’s a guess. I know, and previously stated that Frost has a relationship with the chancellor and spoke to her. I have no information that he’s the coach. Given Nebraska is his alma mater, that doesn’t make sense, but I have no information to rule it out. I mentioned that board buzz says we’ll hire a seated coach, past chancellor commentary would rule out Kiffin and Freeze, and that it would have to be someone experienced. He said there’s one candidate that is down the list that would be a “bend” of that criteria. Maybe that’s Kiffin. In the past I’ve asked the chance of Freeze, and he said “zero”. I know that the plan has contingencies down far below the chosen five. We will not be embarrassed by public rejection, a long search, or dumb moves. This is going to be tight and fast. My friend rated the odds at 90% that we currently have our guy, and it will be official by next week. On a slightly sad note, Tee and Jay have missed several job opportunities to hold the team together. They’ve received very little communication or support on what happens next. The two of them have been rock solid through this whole mess. Yesterday they saved two players from the portal based on rallying them around the White news. I’m sorry I’m pushing soft journalism today. I’ve tried to give good data before. I just don’t have the goods today. I’m not even confident that my conclusions are right from my guessing game this morning. Like I said, I think some things will loosen up, and I’ll hear more. One final note: My friend said the White family is like the Kennedy family of the NCAA. They’re royalty. Kevin White is one of the most respected names in a mature athletics. He was a hero at Notre Dame and Duke and served on the Olympics board. The integrity of that name will be very important. That’s very good news.
Amendment: I just got an answer that confirms Herman was/is in the final five. Can’t rank where. My friend also just texted that Hyams’ list is nonsense.

@Stoerner Fumbles

SIAP
I'm hearing that White is bringing two staff members with him from UCF. Hearing possibly Chris McFarlane who is a deputy AD there for competitive excellence (whatever that means) and a compliance person. The listed compliance director at UCF is Cameron Walker.

McFarlene was just hired at UCF this month by White.
-Hubbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back