Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. “Leadership” is something that comes after success. Who’s the leader on Alabama’s team this year.... or the last decade. The answer is saban
Yep. This is a chicken or the egg thing that I think most people don't get. Kind of similar to when people say "he struggles because he has no confidence." No. He's been struggling, and what's why he has no confidence. In order to get some confidence, he needs to string some good play together, then get some confidence, and then it builds on itself in a snowball effect.

Reactions: HankHill
I'd be willing to bet that player-led leadership and "you're the guy to help us turn this around" will be on the agenda with the To'oto'o family today. That and a plan to help Henry reach his NFL dreams.

They can try. But I'm not sure what pitch is going to work after these two years. Our defense is a joke. He hasn't recruited up to par and is not developing. What is going to magically change that? Maybe KS? But with all of the uncertainty, I don't see him wanting to come back--which is sad.

Maybe it's a peaceful transition of power...Pruitt is letting HT know that he's in good hands with Steele and should continue his career at TN next year and be off to the NFL in '22.

Maybe Pruitt is showing Henry how much he loves him and wants to coach him next year whether at Tennessee or another institution.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
Traveling to Cali likely means he is back IMO. I'm not sure how you can be "more sure" he's gone with this.

This staff, along with Plowman and Boyd are complete jokes. This is clinic on how not do to ****. It's really gonna burn when we lose our best defensive player because JP thought it would be a good idea to have BN coach LBs
BN and Will Friend were terrible hires. BN never should have been given an on field spot. I don't blame any of the OL for transferring, they were failed.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
It's much harder to get people to follow you if the organization isn't being successful. It's really, really hard to lead if you aren't any good. Many people over the years came on here and said things like "It's disappointing that JG, as the QB, isn't more of a leader." But he stunk. Yes, he played hard, was tough as nails, etc. But guys aren't going to follow behind a guy that isn't a good player. Think about leaders in other contexts, like at your office. Are the leaders in your office low-performing employees? My guess is no. My guess also is that if JG was a good QB, he absolutely would have been viewed as a leader, and his own personal attitude would have been a lot better. You want to know why his body language was often so bad? Because he stunk. He appeared to have all the confidence in the world after he made a great play. You gotta have some results first, build some confidence, then you can lead.

That was not a great Tennessee team because Al Wilson was a leader. That was a great team, so Al Wilson became a leader. Leadership is often the difference between a great team and a championship-winning team. I don't think it is typically the difference between a mediocre team and a title winner, or a good team and a title winner.
Back to the point. You said successful teams make leaders. No, actually good teams can have leaders that make them better. Dale Jones. He was a leader like Al. Even if his team was not good enough to win a championship. The fact that AL happened to be on a great team did not make him a leader, or everyone on the team would have been a leader. Al would have been a leader on any team he was on.

It's much harder to get people to follow you if the organization isn't being successful. It's really, really hard to lead if you aren't any good. Many people over the years came on here and said things like "It's disappointing that JG, as the QB, isn't more of a leader." But he stunk. Yes, he played hard, was tough as nails, etc. But guys aren't going to follow behind a guy that isn't a good player. Think about leaders in other contexts, like at your office. Are the leaders in your office low-performing employees? My guess is no. My guess also is that if JG was a good QB, he absolutely would have been viewed as a leader, and his own personal attitude would have been a lot better. You want to know why his body language was often so bad? Because he stunk. He appeared to have all the confidence in the world after he made a great play. You gotta have some results first, build some confidence, then you can lead. He was never able to string enough good plays together to ever have true confidence in himself.

That was not a great Tennessee team because Al Wilson was a leader. That was a great team, so Al Wilson became a leader. Leadership is often the difference between a great team and a championship-winning team. I don't think it is typically the difference between a mediocre team and a title winner, or a good team and a title winner.
I disagree. Every great team has a few that holds a team accountable. Ask Al's teammates if he didn't do that. Im not arguing that he didn't have many talented players around him, but to finish on top talent alone isn't enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back