Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
We finished:

12th in the SEC in ppg and 97th nationally
11th in the SEC in yard pg and 102nd nationally

7th in the SEC in scoring defense 69th nationally
7th in the SEC in overall defense 65th nationally

Let’s keep him! Lol. We are a joke of a program with a joke of an administration. We got lucky as hell with Barnes and we’re lucky he worked out. We all need to find better things to do than care about a University that doesn’t care about its fans.

That's exactly it. Anybody who has been certain of the outcome or giving timelines has been speculating. There's been uncertainty everywhere-- inside, outside and all around UT.

"We don't want to fire him and pay the buyout...

...but hey, maybe our boosters will bankroll the buyout...

...okay, nobody's stepping up so we'll work with him, maybe lose a few bad apples, get rid of the narc...

...no wait, if we can find cause, we could save the buyout, so let's investigate a little longer...

...oh, well, we didn't get the goods, so maybe we could reduce the buyout...

...well, Sexton sure shut that down...

...OK, so we'll just cover off on this NCAA thing and while we're at it, have outside counsel dig a little deeper...

...wow, who knew incontrovertible evidence was so tricky; man, this cause stuff is a real drag...

...but hell, it's really toxic now, so maybe he's ready to be out...

...WTH, the guy wants to keep doing his job after all this-- he's actually recruiting, contacting transfers and shortlisting staff changes...

...well, we have to let him interview while we continue to strategize and talk to people...

...WTH, he's ready to hire...

...well, you know, we could work with him, lose some of the bad apples..."
Yes....and anyone on here wanting to beat their chest about how right they were if their prediction comes true is full of it.

Last edited:
None of those things happen without buy in from higher ups. Just like Barnes, if Fulmer didn’t ask for more money from others, Barnes would be at UCLA right now.
I agree but Fulmer brought all those things to the higher ups. He chose all the candidates to present to those above him. I don't believe that's the only choices he had. There were others, he just chose to look at primarily assistant coaches that he could bring in and mold . He ended up hiring a brick.

I don't think people above him went to Phil last summer and said "Phil, you better lock Pruitt down for another couple of years". Your never know when someone is going to swoop in and steal him away.
I refuse to believe that.

All that is on Phillip.

Based on what they're doing, best case scenario right now is that we keep him and try our best to hire a good staff around him. We aren't hiring anyone worth hiring if we fire him with what they're doing.
Exactly, if it goes south it will be bad, we will likely be fishing for a coach in the Fisher Price pond.

I've said it before-- there's plenty of blame to go around, so no need to finger any one person. When things get this toxic, people aren't pulling together.

I'll say this, though-- it hasn't even gotten to the BOT and when it does, it'll be a fait accompli.

And there are a lot of boosters. They aren't a voting block. Most aren't employed by UT, and they don't run the university. They provide financial support and offer opinions-- many different opinions, and some are very strong opinions that carry more weight than others.
Now you've done it. You made me google some stuff but it makes sense now :):)

Brent says no news is coming this week.

They are killing this program. Literally committing suicide. If they're keeping Pruitt, they are hamstringing him by keeping him from being able to hire the best staff he can or to land transfers and recruit. If they're hiring a new coach, they are creating such chaos over here that the candidate pool is going to be very small. On top of that, he also will be late and will have trouble hiring staff and signing transfers and getting started.

We have the worst leadership in the country. It isn't close. These people are worthless.
You can't do this any worse. Sounds like we still have people fighting to get their way even if they ruin the program.

We're going to fire Pruitt, lose half the team, mostly young talent and starters, and then hire the Tight Ends coach from North Texas as head coach. WE ARE SCREWED
Think positive...they’re working on an exit strategy for him to make everyone happy, including NCAA, and will hire Napier or Chadwell the same day. Those guys won’t turn down $3-4mil/year. Most players will stay and the new staff will close with some good transfers. Spring ball around the corner!

Want to vent for a second about how close I “could” be to having insider status, lol.
My uncle got his masters from UT, he was an insanely successful business man, sits on several boards at a very big D1 school, and is a 7 figure donor to a Podunk school here in WV, where he got his undergrad. He gets calls and letters frequently from UT, but refuses to support them! Pisses me off, and he has the audacity to give me **** about the Vols every chance he gets!! Ok, end rant, carry on!

Do you think you're in his will :)

I agree but Fulmer brought all those things to the higher ups. He chose all the candidates to present to those above him. I don't believe that's the only choices he had. There were others, he just chose to look at primarily assistant coaches that he could bring in and mold . He ended up hiring a brick.

I don't think people above him went to Phil last summer and said "Phil, you better lock Pruitt down for another couple of years". Your never know when someone is going to swoop in and steal him away.
I refuse to believe that.

All that is on Phillip.
There were literally people in here and on the National stage boosting up the 8 game run he went on. I’m not saying I think he should have got an extension but he did based off of that and the respect he had earned nationally at the time. Either way, ain’t my money and I’ll keep supporting the VOLS no matter how bad it tastes.

Think positive...they’re working on an exit strategy for him to make everyone happy, including NCAA, and will hire Napier or Chadwell the same day. Those guys won’t turn down $3-4mil/year. Most players will stay and the new staff will close with some good transfers. Spring ball around the corner!
I hope you're right. It doesn't feel like that to me.

That's a nice picture. Any chance you can get Covid to cooperate in this endeavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back