Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing would have happened if you couldn't hear it on TV.
Nothing would have happened if you couldn't hear it on TV.

To be fair. It is much easier to act with maximum consequences when you have irrefutable evidence instead of a couple people that heard it, a few that THINK they heard it, and a couple thousand that didn’t hear anything.

Reactions: gainesvol82
My Facebook post from three years ago. It's one of my best memories from being deployed.

And Grace Danced Home

I would like to ask you to journey briefly back to the Summer of 1996. I was deployed to Bosnia and Herzegovina as part of Operation Joint Endeavor. 1996 was still very slightly ahead of the internet and email age. So, mail from home was always most welcome. I got a letter one morning from my Aunt Terri ( I really miss her a lot these days). The letter was not exactly from her. It was written by her, but dictated to her by my cousins, Michael and Stephan. I lived with them right before my deployment and I had been working very hard to convince Michael and Stephan that the Chicago Cubs were the key to the universe. As I was reading, I could hear the excitement in Stephan's voice as he described watching a Cubs game as he knew that I was not able to see them in Bosnia. He vividly described the ball sailing over the outfielder's head as Mark Grace ran around the bases. When the outfielder could not corral the ball quickly enough, he let me know that Grace had scored on the play. Only he did not say that Grace scored. He said, so very poetically, "and Grace danced home." I do not remember other details from that letter, nor do I recall who was batting or who the Cubs were playing, but the phrase "And Grace danced home," came to mean that hope still lived. Often, on those long road trips in Bosnia and in other places, later, I would envision the Cubs winning it all with Mark Grace scoring the winning run as he danced home. This phrase, as I aged, grew bigger, than the game. It came to represent all that was good and right with the world, even when everything most clearly was not. This magical past November, when the Cubs' gloriously exorcised all of those demons, I kept recalling these wonderful, beautiful words. I think of it now and I smile. It still seems to represent that hope that springs eternal and I am ever grateful for that letter, for so many reasons. Thank you Mike and Steve. I miss our story times. I cherish them though as I hope to cherish the memory of that letter always.

Tl;Dr?

Cubs!
Beautiful story

Sig, I am trying to convince my kids to read TWOT and none of them will even give it a shot. I may have possibly failed as a parent.
Mats sense oh humor felt a little forced to me but overall his character was fine. The pace he finished the last few books was perfect.

Sandersons's Stormlight Archive is amazing so far. It's making a run at being my favorite series if it continues like the first few books. I really like his other stuff too.

It isn't your fault, @Glitch My kid couldn't even read a haiku without losing attention. I haven't actually read any other Sanderson books yet. I agree on the pacing for sure! He is certainly a talented writer. The last few books felt like a whirlwind. I think Jordan could have written 6 more books to say what Sanderson did in 3 LOL.

Pass that opportunity up. I’ve been there and you’re missing nothing. They don’t call it Big Sky country for nothing. There’s like absolutely nothing to do or see out there. Weather sucks a lot around this time of year as well since it’s like negative 30 at times with about a foot of snow or more
Wow..this is the worst opinion in the history of everything...the west is spectacular..

I hope whoever you were talking to has the good sense to completely ignore this post..

Billings itself is maybe not so great, but jeez man it is literally right between the Big Horns and the main spine of the northern Rockies in the Absorokas and Beartooth...not counting Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons are just a few hours away...

This is a bad opinion.

It's funny, the in game posts are the same for every game. Invol absolutely believes we get cheated every game on most every call and Cat is always there with all the doom and gloom one could want. Quite entertaining but its time for Ancient Aliens now on History channel so I'm out till in the morning..lol

Who's job is that to coach the guys up for the big moments. Who's job is it to teach them how to execute in the big moments. Hell who's job is it to make sure they can bring the ball up the court. Maybe the guy who gets paid $5 million a year should take some responsibility
So when we were up 17 did you feel that way?

Reactions: hooter vol
Wow..this is the worst opinion in the history of everything...the west is spectacular..

I hope whoever you were talking to has the good sense to completely ignore this post..

Billings itself is maybe not so great, but jeez man it is literally right between the Big Horns and the main spine of the northern Rockies in the Absorokas and Beartooth...not counting Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons are just a few hours away...

This is a bad opinion.

I visited Montana about a decade ago and had a great time. But I could see being driven absolutely insane if I actually lived there.

Mats sense oh humor felt a little forced to me but overall his character was fine. The pace he finished the last few books was perfect.

Sandersons's Stormlight Archive is amazing so far. It's making a run at being my favorite series if it continues like the first few books. I really like his other stuff too.
I don't share others criticisms of Sandersons handling of Mat myself. I will agree he felt a little off in his first book, but I think he nailed Mat's personality by the end.

Mat Cauthon is one of the most unique characters I have ever read in any genre. It takes a long time for you as a reader to "get" him, I imagine writing him was very very difficult, and yet as I say, Sanderson got it right as his part of the story went on.

With the Montana talk, anyone ever done a guest ranch trip out west, kid friendly? Wyoming, Montana, Utah, co or something? Thinking about taking the family on something different this summer. Sorry for the off season non FB topic...
Look up Flat Creek ranch in Jackson Hole and see if that is kind of what you are looking for.

Maybe get them to watch the TV show and if they like it they will give the books a chance.

I'm worried that the show is going to be a disaster, though. Looks like they have gone the PC route with casting instead of being true to the story. Game of Thrones was successful because it was brilliantly cast and the first few seasons closely followed the story.

WoT is already talking about changing things. That story is perfect as-is.
Glad to see I am not the only one that feels this way about the showrunners so far..

I can usually work my way around a loss and not blame Barnes. Not this time.

He went away from what built the lead and destroyed the confidence of the team. At halftime I would have told Fulk to be ready in the second half in case of foul trouble, but he would be sitting it out. He's like a tractor out of gear out there, lurching and jumping and falling all over himself. JJJ should have played only to give Johnson a breather. He's been bad since his return. He's thinking way too much and not playing the game.

This team works well when everybody is moving on O. They stopped, stood in the corners, passed up open 3 looks, and played two man for much of the second half. He not only did not use TO's to stop the run, he needed another one to make sure he fixed the O. Auburn overplayed everything and were able to use their hands and arms to control them because they knew what was coming. Hated it. Finally get a great day from Bowden and Barnes goes brain dead.

The officials did their usual, but you don't lose a game with a 17 point lead with 15 minutes to go just because of the officiating.

Actually making the FF4 run he should've
2 things: One is that I don't believe any finish last season would make most Vol fans patient this season, because Vol fans aren't patient and always want to complain about something and fire someone.
The other is that nothing is guaranteed in March. Zero. Not even a 1 seed should expect a F4. It you argue that, look at the statistics. If you still think teams should finish their seeds, we weren't a 1 seed. Could have and should have mean two different things. They should not have made a F4, they merely could have based on their potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back