Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is my hometown. It's straight bull. The county and the city systems have open zoning, but the TSSAA is taking issue because of bus routes. These boys went undefeated and had to deal with the death of a teammate in the middle of the season. Now they are robbing them of their victories and passion after they sent a letter to the school clearing that player to play in September. Bull.

It won't.

People who think it's going to change the balance are just wrong, there'll be a handful of players that can really demand some money for their likeness (Zion for example).

Essentially it'll give them the ability to sign stuff and make pocket change, and also do appearance etc.

Just think about it like this.

NFL - 32 teams (53 man rosters) ~ 1696 NFL players
NBA - 30 teams (17 man rosters) ~ 510 NBA players

That's your two biggest sports in the US right now, less than 2500 players between them. NCAA over-sees 1268 schools with nearly 500k student athletes.

In short, Nike/Gatorade/Under Armour etc. are more likely to pay a professional athlete already at the highest level in their sport money than they would a student athlete who may not have much national name recognition outside the fanbase for his school.

Cause not even every NFL/NBA athlete has big time sponsorship money coming in.
Are they going to control how much an athlete can charge for each item or appearance?

Wondering if the NCAA will try to regulate the new student-athlete endorsement rules. People are saying the larger market areas will have an advantage to get more 5* athletes.

I tend to think it will open a whole new form of cheating. Boosters will be able to funnel cash through every small business in town to the football player(s) of choice. Players will receive thousands of dollars to allow their name to be associated with any business related weekend event. It will get out of control without some oversight.

I could be wrong...but I think most college athletes (if they're smart) will keep their earnings low. Mom & Dad lose certain tax benefits if they begin to earn too much.
Doesn't make financial sense. Kid should max his earnings. And I'm not sure what parents would lose. Child Tax Credit does not apply to 18 YOs. There is no longer an exemption for dependents either. The parents will likely not be giving 1/2 support, so they can't claim them on their taxes anyway.

@LaagerVol @SweetasSoda Not the same, but drove up from New Orleans to hike fiery gizzard and stone door, eat at high point, last summer. Gorgeous as always.
Awesome! Next time make it to Savage Gulf State Park entrance at Suter Falls over here by me! Eventually we should have the 1300 acre Southern Gulf Off Road Park open for ATVs if you like that sort of fun.

Wondering if the NCAA will try to regulate the new student-athlete endorsement rules. People are saying the larger market areas will have an advantage to get more 5* athletes.

I tend to think it will open a whole new form of cheating. Boosters will be able to funnel cash through every small business in town to the football player(s) of choice. Players will receive thousands of dollars to allow their name to be associated with any business related weekend event. It will get out of control without some oversight.
This has been discussed publicly and feels like obvious probable outcome. And no need to even funnel. Notice, it's no longer against the rules. It's legal, so just do it. Without limits, private payments could now just be made public. Doesn't change much I guess.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Awesome! Next time make it to Savage Gulf State Park entrance at Suter Falls over here by me! Eventually we should have the 1300 acre Southern Gulf Off Road Park open for ATVs if you like that sort of fun.
Like to go in boots, but I am glad! Lots happening with parks in our state and in that area!

Edit: Everyone down here goes to Tennessee for vacay. They talk about it all the time.

Last edited:
Are they going to control how much an athlete can charge for each item or appearance?
In the statement, it said they want to allow SAs to have the same ability to earn money as any other student. Other students don't have caps on income, so if they really want that - I'd say no.

Now, they also said they want to keep intact the separation of amateurism/professionalism. This smells like having limitations imo.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
this is my hometown. It's straight bull. The county and the city systems have open zoning, but the TSSAA is taking issue because of bus routes. These boys went undefeated and had to deal with the death of a teammate in the middle of the season. Now they are robbing them of their victories and passion after they sent a letter to the school clearing that player to play in September. Bull.
Good grief

Very unlikely, would be a slippery slope that the NCAA -shouldn't- get involved in.

The most likely, control point the NCAA can enforce is capping yearly earnings for scholarship eligibility. Since you can define that pretty much equally across the board for every sport/state.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
I just want to be a fly on the wall simply to see the joy I can only imagine will be experienced! I hope @ob79 will come back and tell us all about it. I'm certain memories will be made!
I haven't left, I promise. I just haven't posted as much lately...being on night shift and working an average of 60 hours a week for what seems like forever has me constantly playing catch up.

I'll try and give the play by play on Saturday and then recount it again after the weekend. I've been looking forward to this for a while.

Doesn't make financial sense. Kid should max his earnings. And I'm not sure what parents would lose. Child Tax Credit does not apply to 18 YOs. There is no longer an exemption for dependents either. The parents will likely not be giving 1/2 support, so they can't claim them on their taxes anyway.
If your dependent’s in college you can still claim them...and provide insurance.

Claiming a College Student as a Dependent | H&R Block

Since scholarships don't count towards the 1/2 support right now, most parents would lose any ability to claim them as dependents if the student athlete exceeded 1/2 the (other) support cost not covered by their sport scholarship.

From the linked website:
Can I Claim My College Student as a Dependent if They Don’t Meet the Above Tests?
If your child doesn’t meet these tests, your college student can still be your dependent if:
  • You provide more than half of the child’s support.
  • The child’s gross income (income that’s not exempt from tax) is less than $4,150.

People have brought up if big markets might have an advantage with the new NCAA rules.

In their statment, one of the guidelines set by the board for each division to form new rules by is to "not create a competitive imbalance".

This, again, reeks of caps or limits. Otherwise, I don't see how it wouldn't create an imbalance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back