Status
Not open for further replies.
We are top 50 in yards allowed per game

110th in redzone conversions

17th in FG percentage

49th in 3rd down conversions

40th in sacks per game

38th in opponent redzone conversions

Some random stats. Weird to see redzone offense struggle so badly. We are starting to get to the QB a little better now. Cimaglia is a beast. OL is doing much better. Defense as a whole has tightened up a lot since the Florida game

And yet I would argue RZ Offense is even worse than 110th. I don't love the "Score%" because part of it is just FGs, which is more a referendum on the FG kicker. We know Cimaglia is money, so we could have 100% Score% if we really wanted, though it's about getting the most points each trip.

I like the TD% more, but optimally I'd like a points/RZ attempt stat. But going by TD%, we are 127th... intraconference games is terrible too. Not just 14th in the league, but trailing Vandy by a good margin. If we aren't practicing RZ offense for half of practice and perfecting it, well we should be.

Another notable stat to add to your list is 3rd down conversions allowed. We are 92nd there. Sort of our defensive equivalent to our poor red zone offense. Hopefully we are spending time working om this too.

So, we suck at rz offense and 3rd down defense. Both situational football and can be practiced in a bubble and corrected. But I also wonder if these issues aren't on the coaches...but also a lack of pass rush, re: 3rd down defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: drvenner
School dont have to be directly in said city.. just close enough. I get your point, but if that was true, why do superstars flood to big markets in free agency in NBA?
Because it’s a PROFESSIONAL league. A small town is Milwaukee. Lakers and Knicks and even the Rockets have huge soirées and marketing events. Closest relevant city to Chicago is Champaign,IL...that’s a country town! And these college athletes aren’t going to be spending practice time at a Nike event. They still have to pretend to be students. Syracuse players can sign some calendars but they better get back in time for class!

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Not sure how itll work. But will def be a huge disadvantage for certain schools.

It won't.

People who think it's going to change the balance are just wrong, there'll be a handful of players that can really demand some money for their likeness (Zion for example).

Essentially it'll give them the ability to sign stuff and make pocket change, and also do appearance etc.

Just think about it like this.

NFL - 32 teams (53 man rosters) ~ 1696 NFL players
NBA - 30 teams (17 man rosters) ~ 510 NBA players

That's your two biggest sports in the US right now, less than 2500 players between them. NCAA over-sees 1268 schools with nearly 500k student athletes.

In short, Nike/Gatorade/Under Armour etc. are more likely to pay a professional athlete already at the highest level in their sport money than they would a student athlete who may not have much national name recognition outside the fanbase for his school.

Cause not even every NFL/NBA athlete has big time sponsorship money coming in.

I have been looking forward to the moment when I could finally meet Ashlee for quite some time now. It will be an honor and a privilege to host you and your family this weekend. Rest assured I have a few things up my sleeve for this momentous occasion.

I just want to be a fly on the wall simply to see the joy I can only imagine will be experienced! I hope @ob79 will come back and tell us all about it. I'm certain memories will be made!

I have been looking forward to the moment when I could finally meet Ashlee for quite some time now. It will be an honor and a privilege to host you and your family this weekend. Rest assured I have a few things up my sleeve for this momentous occasion.
Dude, I’m so glad you are one of ours!! You are an awesome VFL, and it’s such a breath of fresh air to see successful people wanting to give to others and not be so selfish!

I could be wrong...but I think most college athletes (if they're smart) will keep their earnings low. Mom & Dad lose certain tax benefits if they begin to earn too much.

Good point. You think also no child tax credit and ability to claim dependents? I’ve not had enough time to develop an opinion on this. But initially I don’t really like it but I don’t think it’s altogether fair to stymie an athlete who could financially benefit from their ability.
Wonder what schools think?

Reactions: SweetasSoda
It won't.

People who think it's going to change the balance are just wrong, there'll be a handful of players that can really demand some money for their likeness (Zion for example).

Essentially it'll give them the ability to sign stuff and make pocket change, and also do appearance etc.

That's your two biggest sports in the US right now, less than 2500 players between them. NCAA over-sees 1268 schools with nearly 500k student athletes.

In short, Nike/Gatorade/Under Armour etc. are more likely to pay a professional athlete already at the highest level in their sport money than they would a student athlete who may not have much national name recognition outside the fanbase for his school.

Zion is a great example. He’d of made more money off his name in Los Angeles last year...or DURHAM? Lot more taxes in the former. 😉

Reactions: SweetAsSodaPop
And yet I would argue RZ Offense is even worse than 110th. I don't love the "Score%" because part of it is just FGs, which is more a referendum on the FG kicker. We know Cimaglia is money, so we could have 100% Score% if we really wanted, though it's about getting the most points each trip.

I like the TD% more, but optimally I'd like a points/RZ attempt stat. But going by TD%, we are 127th... intraconference games is terrible too. Not just 14th in the league, but trailing Vandy by a good margin. If we aren't practicing RZ offense for half of practice and perfecting it, well we should be.

Another notable stat to add to your list is 3rd down conversions allowed. We are 92nd there. Sort of our defensive equivalent to our poor red zone offense. Hopefully we are spending time working om this too.

So, we suck at rz offense and 3rd down defense. Both situational football and can be practiced in a bubble and corrected. But I also wonder if these issues aren't on the coaches...but also a lack of pass rush, re: 3rd down defense.
Good lord.

Reactions: drvenner
It won't.

In college the FANBASE is much more conducive to your marketing than the next largest city.

Taking all three of my girls (4, including Mrs. ob79) to the game this weekend, courtesy of @Atlanta VOL. First game for my middle and youngest. Just FYI, for those who doubt him...don't.

Prepare for cuteness overload because I'm taking a lot of pictures and posting them here.

Do you know where you'll be yet? I always enjoy meeting other VN folks and putting faces with names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back