Recruiting Football Talk VII

I don't disagree with this. The bottom line is compensation is dictated by value, purely economics. Connections create value and so do relationships. Every person has opportunities to make themselves more marketable and valuable (for some it is simply kissing azz), many are unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary. You can't party hardy, skip class and get an engineering degree.
It should not be everyone gets a trophy in little league or the real world. If you don't want minimum wage don't be minimum value.
Making relationships, and keeping them imo is a completely different thing than keeping one's schooling going.

It's why medical school interviews ask about the whole picture.

What do you do in your spare time? Is a difficult question to answer for many.

Let's just be honest here. Yes, some buggy pushers can go to College, excel - get into Harvard MBA programs. But, if we are talking the upper echelon CEO gigs, by and large you will need an MBA from one of the top schools in the nation.

Not bc of the education, but bc of the connections. In my experience, its who you know. Perhaps that's why 'children of' business owners, CEO's etc seem to start the race one lap ahead. Just an observation.

There's 'pull yourself up by the bootstraps.' And then there's 'here's the keys.'
Yea if you know individuals it's a benefit. My son had no desire to go to College. I done him a favor, I worked with one of the upper managers at Bush Beans years ago. We partied together while he was working part time while he was going to Carson Newman . One phone call and my 18 year old son was making 45+ a year plus a yearly bonus, working at Bush Beans.

Edit: I know 45+ starting out isn't that much to you high rollers but for a 18 year old single person, thats a fortune.😜

Last edited:
Seems like a business model for overpaid people who think they deserve more than everyone else. But whatever it’s bad business practice and economics. Nothing like wasting extra potential profit

I’d would be crazy if every job in the country had to do that.
Things would look different out the windows lol
I'm not doubting your sanity but they all do. I think you are using the word profit incorrectly. What is profit for, paying people. If a business does not distribute profit correctly and the producers are undervalued, the producers will go elsewhere or produce less. If the company loses the managers of the company lose their jobs A football coach that wins can justify huge salaries but let them lose and they're gone.
In the end economics, like the wind, rights all ships and if you try to change the winds of economics you're wasting your time.

Mine was 2 days ago. 23years old! 😂
If you are 23, you are not old enough to initiate the apocalypse.
You are grounded. You cannot harass the AI anymore.
Please take all of your electronics to @Weezer . He will fill it with his nudz. He will disable all internet access except for VN. Seems like a harsh punishment, but you have some serious growing up to do.
Oh and if you bother the AI again, @BaldBiker will comes take your testicles and @Weezer will wear them as earrings.
Just remember youngster that there are always consequences to your actions. 😈

We have a group of 8 and possibly a couple more and we were thinking of going there for 5-7 days to golf and drink. We’ve been doing this every year and now we venture out more and stay longer bc we have more money which is probably a bad thing lol
How’s the area bars, are they open late
It’s a guys trip. While we’re all in our upper 30s we still like to drink like crazy after golf and with no wives around lol
What are a couple courses we definitely need to play bc we usually do a 1-2-1-2-1 play schedule for 5 days
It looks nice on the internet but just wanted someone’s perspective
HH is great. If ya have access to any private clubs then Long cove and Berkeley Hall

Public courses:
Sea Pines….all are really good
Port Royal
Old South

Daufuskie Island if you can get on…..

Oh it definitely exists. I'm not arguing it doesn't. However, that 'pull yourselves up....' mindset seems to be pervasive for a lot of certain politically affiliated folks.

Sometimes it just is what it is. Asking me to pull myself up and play like DK. 😂😆 There are a set of limitations that I may have, that disallows me to do anything near hwat that guy does.

I dunno, that's my rant for today.
Then there is the new CEO at Costco who started out as a company forklift driver and has been with the company for 40 years in many roles. Same as the CEO’s of Wal-Mart, John Deere, Johnson and Johnson, Fidelity, Philips 66 (who said he’s the first in his family to go to college), and many more. Yes, relationships can be part of it. But life is also about relationships. Someone putting a good word in is helpful when hiring people. There are a number of examples of people starting at entry level positions, learning the business, and becoming their company’s top executive.

Making relationships, and keeping them imo is a completely different thing than keeping one's schooling going.

It's why medical school interviews ask about the whole picture.

What do you do in your spare time? Is a difficult question to answer for many.
1710512417321.gif

Let's just be honest here. Yes, some buggy pushers can go to College, excel - get into Harvard MBA programs. But, if we are talking the upper echelon CEO gigs, by and large you will need an MBA from one of the top schools in the nation.

Not bc of the education, but bc of the connections. In my experience, its who you know. Perhaps that's why 'children of' business owners, CEO's etc seem to start the race one lap ahead. Just an observation.

There's 'pull yourself up by the bootstraps.' And then there's 'here's the keys.'
These are very sage observations @Jackcrevol

My dad was the CEO of a Fortune 50 chemical company. Chemistry degree from UT and then an MBA from Penn

I benefitted from his connections in my college internships. And also the fact I got a four year degree with no debt after

It is not fair

But I will also offer that it took him eight years to graduate UTK because he had to work every other semester for the railroads to pay for the next. Grew up with an outhouse as a toilet on a 200 acre tabaco farm. Milked the cows every morning before high school

My dad is my hero

Last edited:
OH, I have CEO skills. You're a dispersed organization? Centralize. You're Centralized...well, we need to disperse in the field to be closer to our customer.
I wasn't speaking of you specifically. The market will determine success and dictate corrections in how business is conducted. The market has no feelings and it is counterproductive to attempt to legislate or dictate compassion to it.
If you're doing it right you will gain, if not you'll suffer loss.
The market, just like the ball in baseball, tells you what to do.

I don't disagree with this. The bottom line is compensation is dictated by value, purely economics. Connections create value and so do relationships. Every person has opportunities to make themselves more marketable and valuable (for some it is simply kissing azz), many are unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary. You can't party hardy, skip class and get an engineering degree.
It should not be everyone gets a trophy in little league or the real world. If you don't want minimum wage don't be minimum value.
I won’t dig into this because it doesn’t seem like the place for it, but will simply say I think just about nothing in this post is true.

Reactions: BigOrange15
My wife has really been beating herself up over a few mistakes she has made recently. I reminded her that she should instead use these as opportunities for improvement and that she should embrace her mistakes. She gave me a hug.
Dude!!

If I can offer anything that I have learned from 20 years of marriage:

When my wife starts going off, I simply ask, "Do you want help, a hug, or to be heard?"

Mostly she says that she just wants to be heard

I always though that she wanted help and me to fix it. So I would go full mansplain

Nope

I realize this isn't the exact context in which the discussion started, but I'll make the points anyway...

These buggy pushers could do NEARLY anything and become much better than buggy pushers. There's an entire world between buggy pushing and CEO of the riches companies in the world. 95% of that area is encompassed by pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.

Sign up for an electrical or plumbing apprenticeship. They'll pay you gobs of money to teach you how to make gobs more.

A -- None of us should give up because the deck is stacked against being in the top 1%. Work hard to get a bit better every day. You'll almost certainly end up in the top 70%, if for no other reason than the fact that there are so many lazy ***holes who refuse to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

B -- The world will never be fair. It's a fairy tale to expect every one to have the same starting point. The much kinder thing to do for someone who starts off behind the elite (like myself) is to teach them to work hard as opposed to encouraging them to covet others. Far more productive and beneficial.

C -- I hate the whole "privilege" argument because it's absolutely stupid. Inherent in the definition of "privilege" are two concepts: (1) The object is a good thing. (2) The object isn't deserved by anyone.

So, the stupid "____________ Privilege" argument is actually self incriminating. It's an admission that you hate someone else because something good that you don't deserve happened for them.

Talk about kind of a **** character trait.

D -- If one is displeased by point C, please see point B on how to actually help the person who didn't receive the same privileges.

Dude!!

If I can offer anything that I have learned from 20 years of marriage:

When my wife starts going off, I simply ask, "Do you want help, a hug, or to be heard?"

Mostly she says that she just wants to be heard

I always though that she wanted help and me to fix it. So I would go full mansplain

Nope
@SweetasSoda -- Insert "It's Not The Nail" here.

Thanks in advance.

These are very sage observations @Jackcrevol

My dad was the CEO of a Fortune 50 chemical company. Chemistry degree from UT and then an MBA from Penn

I benefitted from his connections in my college internships. And also the fact I got a four year degree with no debt after

It is not fair

But I will also offer that it took him eight years to graduate UTK because he had to work every other semester for the railroads to pay for the next. Grew up with an outhouse as a toilet on a 200 acre tabaco farm. Milked the cows every morning before high school

My dad is my hero
great story sir. again, we are all not our circumstances. we can certainly rise above. but asking me to pull myself and rise above to be an nba player ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i'm limited byyyy... factors😬

great story sir. again, we are all not our circumstances. we can certainly rise above. but asking me to pull myself and rise above to be an nba player ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i'm limited byyyy... factors😬
I'm not trying to pick on you, but per my last post. What on earth is that supposed to mean? Why would society be expecting them to be the next NBA player? I would argue that society should encouraging them to NOT expect to be the next NBA player, and invest themselves in the things that will provide for themselves and their families in the real world.

Seriously. What does that have to do with the conversation that this (Some people get payed to leave) conversation has morphed into? What does it add to conversation?

TIA.

Reactions: Dudley Smith

VN Store

Back