Recruiting Football Talk VII

that's fair, but for all the reasons you just stated, i think that's why it's hard to cast an "absolute" judgement in year 3. cause we don't know what is to come from the portal and how some of these younger guys develop.

i can't say, and i don't think anyone would challenge this, that we have the pieces in place to truly compete man for man with "elite" teams, consistently. and if they fix the secondary, and keep going like they are on the DL.....we'll be fine.

or we do poo poo in the portal and nothing changes, and then things start changing.

i don't think either path is set yet. we'll either get better, or he will get fired. maybe you and a few others are ahead of the curve? i'm just not there yet. we don't lose Pili, Carter and Hadden, i honestly think this defense looks wholly different the last half of the season.

and had we had Cooper the entire season, i'm not 100% sure we lose the FL game....getting him back obviously made a big difference in the run game, something we could not do in that game.

i'm gonna take my 8-4 and put it in my pocket, hope we go to JAX to beat up some mid level Big 10 team finish with 9 wins, and see what happens. i'm so anxious to see where Mike Williams is next August. same with Seldon....the offense has some pieces, paired with Nico....get some answers on the OL (an absolute must imo) and we should look a lot closer to 2022 than 2023. fingers crossed.
So I ask, year 5, 6, or 7? How long does he need?

You’re acting like the coaches have been here for a decade. They got to campus as the ‘21 class was signing so it was almost entirely Pruitt’s class. ‘22 we were dealing with scholarship reductions, NCAA investigation, tons of uncertainty and the stench of a decade of failure.

So when was CJH supposed to pull all these difference makers? ‘23 and ‘24. And he’s brought in a bunch of highly recruited athletes, who, like almost all 18 year olds, probably need a year or two before they’re ready for SEC play.

CJH wants to win games. You don’t do that by starting 5 freshman to get game experience.
This.

Thought this was interesting. Makes a rating based off inherited team composite ranking and ELO rating, which is basically a rolling year-by-year power ranking. Good previous few years + good roster talent = set up the best for success. Ryan Day is the coach born on third base by a WIDE margin.

Thought this was interesting. Makes a rating based off inherited team composite ranking and ELO rating, which is basically a rolling year-by-year power ranking. Good previous few years + good roster talent = set up the best for success. Ryan Day is the coach born on third base by a WIDE margin.

How on Earth is Freeze at Auburn at 25 and State at 24? Those are NOT 3rd base/setup to win situations. Auburn went nuclear with its boosters vs Harsin and lost a metric ton of talent due to it. State lost a coach that coached a very specific offense that used personnel that was never guaranteed to work with the next hire - even in a standard hire/fire cycle and what they wound up with was having to hire in an emergency situation.

ETA: Correction regarding state - wrong hiring cycle!

Last edited:
Reactions: Volunteer821
Literally naming players that haven’t even stepped foot on campus yet. We’re talking about this year. They have had a few classes to resolve issues and didn’t. I like last years class and this one. And if the 23 guys were difference makers, why aren’t they playing much more? Herring is awful and plays a lot at MLB.

I’m saying the coaches are to blame in this too.
They just need 4-5 more classes to get the players they need.

Makes Taggart, Harsin and Napier look like huge losers.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
i think the problem with the debate here is there's just the ends of the spectrum, and nothing in the middle (context).

rarely is it just one thing, or another, with a group/organization/team that's comprised of multiple people....it's usually a combination of things.

could the coaches have done better? sure. said it already i don't think we did a very good job of making adjustments or reacting to changes made by other teams, especially the better teams we played....think 2nd half bama defense compared to 1st half bama defense.....as a glaring example.

did injuries hurt this defense? yes, we lost a couple of key players at key positions that really hurt...Hadden and Pili being out changed things. losing Arion Carter hurt too.

are the players we have/depth we have good enough to compete at the highest level? no, not across the board, and the dept isn't there. we have some very good players though, DL was good all year, Beasley had a good year...Mcdonald flashes.

anyway....we're not all that far removed from the debacle that was the last 15 years and the cupboard was bare for this staff. and you can tell with how they're recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. now we're not landing everyone we're going after, but they're going after difference makers at LB, CB, Safety and they've done pretty well on the DL....you can see it in how/who they're recruiting that this is a huge need.

so i think if you consider all the context of the situation, it's hard to just say 'its because of 'x', and if you change 'x', the result changes for the better'. it's a recipe and we need some new ingredients, we need some better ingredients and the chef needs to cook it better too.

Jake with the rational bomb

We need more Jakes.

giphy (6) (26).gif

How on Earth is Freeze at Auburn at 25 and State at 24? Those are NOT 3rd base/setup to win situations. Auburn went nuclear with its boosters vs Harsin and lost a metric ton of talent due to it. State lost a coach that coached a very specific offense that used personnel that was never guaranteed to work with the next hire - even in a standard hire/fire cycle and what they wound up with was having to hire in an emergency situation.

ETA: Correction regarding state - wrong hiring cycle!
If you look at the 2nd tweet that has the graph you can see their scores. Freeze talent this year is just below what Heupels was when he took over in 2021. What is bringing him up is the ELO score which that rating depends on how far back they go. Most ratings do a rolling 4 years I believe because recruiting rankings are one of the many variables involved in creating that rating. If so, some of the variables will stretch into the Gus’s time but will fall off next year.

Oof. A poster in a Discord forum that I’m in posted his bet slip from last night. $50 same game parlay for Marquez Valdes-Scantling to have a longest catch of over 12.5 yards and an anytime TD that would have won him a little over $320. It would have hit in that last 1 minute if MVS doesn’t drop that long TD that would have won the game for the Chiefs as well. Baaad beat.
Bro... I had a 3 game parlay that lose because Richmond hit a worthless 3 in closing seconds against Colorado. Monday, I had Vikings ML. My luck has been awful lol.

With the exception of Garner staying, a whole new defensive staff I wouldn’t be mad at all.

Hope Banks gets snatched up for HC gig and Willie gets fired.
Our defense is better than our offense this year...

2 spots better in SEC rankings overall, and 4 spots better vs just conference opponents. And given the tempo adjustment, makes it even bigger.

Seems oddly one sided to only want the defensive coaches gone.

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
So I ask, year 5, 6, or 7? How long does he need?
JMO, I think ‘25 is the year we should put it all together. Imagine next year will be a lot like this one unless Nico is transcendent and we kill it in the portal.

Also, think some of the hate on the defense has a little recency bias. The last couple weeks have been awful and there was the UF debacle.

But, I thought the defense looked really good to start the season. Played a great game against A&M, played a good half against Bama.

Injuries really piled up after that and we all know that, for whatever reason, our inability to get an offensive hold call neutered the strength of our defense and highlighted the weakness, especially against better competition.

Tl;dr, don’t think the defense has been as bad as it feels right now.

VN Store

Back