Recruiting Football Talk VII

that's fair, but for all the reasons you just stated, i think that's why it's hard to cast an "absolute" judgement in year 3. cause we don't know what is to come from the portal and how some of these younger guys develop.

i can't say, and i don't think anyone would challenge this, that we have the pieces in place to truly compete man for man with "elite" teams, consistently. and if they fix the secondary, and keep going like they are on the DL.....we'll be fine.

or we do poo poo in the portal and nothing changes, and then things start changing.

i don't think either path is set yet. we'll either get better, or he will get fired. maybe you and a few others are ahead of the curve? i'm just not there yet. we don't lose Pili, Carter and Hadden, i honestly think this defense looks wholly different the last half of the season.

and had we had Cooper the entire season, i'm not 100% sure we lose the FL game....getting him back obviously made a big difference in the run game, something we could not do in that game.

i'm gonna take my 8-4 and put it in my pocket, hope we go to JAX to beat up some mid level Big 10 team finish with 9 wins, and see what happens. i'm so anxious to see where Mike Williams is next August. same with Seldon....the offense has some pieces, paired with Nico....get some answers on the OL (an absolute must imo) and we should look a lot closer to 2022 than 2023. fingers crossed.
Quality post.

Reactions: drvenner
that's fair, but for all the reasons you just stated, i think that's why it's hard to cast an "absolute" judgement in year 3. cause we don't know what is to come from the portal and how some of these younger guys develop.

i can't say, and i don't think anyone would challenge this, that we have the pieces in place to truly compete man for man with "elite" teams, consistently. and if they fix the secondary, and keep going like they are on the DL.....we'll be fine.

or we do poo poo in the portal and nothing changes, and then things start changing.

i don't think either path is set yet. we'll either get better, or he will get fired. maybe you and a few others are ahead of the curve? i'm just not there yet. we don't lose Pili, Carter and Hadden, i honestly think this defense looks wholly different the last half of the season.

and had we had Cooper the entire season, i'm not 100% sure we lose the FL game....getting him back obviously made a big difference in the run game, something we could not do in that game.

i'm gonna take my 8-4 and put it in my pocket, hope we go to JAX to beat up some mid level Big 10 team finish with 9 wins, and see what happens. i'm so anxious to see where Mike Williams is next August. same with Seldon....the offense has some pieces, paired with Nico....get some answers on the OL (an absolute must imo) and we should look a lot closer to 2022 than 2023. fingers crossed.
lettuce

I present Kevin Steele vs Brent Venables.... Clemson was good but didn't turn Elite until Venables got there. If you think that guy is out there go get him. Banks is closer to Steele then he is Venables.
Wonderful dream world, but you're talking about falling into a top 3 DC. It's a luckbox and you could just as well end up giving up ole 20 ppg Jancek for Bob Shoop.

Fwiw Steele got let go because he inherited a 17 ppg defense. Went 20 ppg in Y1 and by Y3 hit 30 ppg...

Banks went from 29 ppg in Y1 to 23 in Y2 and now 22 ppg in Y3.

So 5,6,7 years to field a competent defense?

Did Mizzou or FL have better players or coaches?

Why is the automatic go to is to throw the players under the bus rather than the coaches who get millions to field a team?
Lol "competent"

So being in the top half of the best defensive league in the country...while defending more plays than 80% of the country - being paired with one of the fastest offenses - is...incompentence?

You're acting like we give up 35 a game lmfao

We're already very competent. Now we reach for great.

Screenshot_20231121_174846.jpgScreenshot_20231121_174903.jpg

Wonderful dream world, but you're talking about falling into a top 3 DC. It's a luckbox and you could just as well end up giving up ole 20 ppg Jancek for Bob Shoop.

Fwiw Steele got let go because he inherited a 17 ppg defense. Went 20 ppg in Y1 and by Y3 hit 30 ppg...

Banks went from 29 ppg in Y1 to 23 in Y2 and now 22 ppg in Y3.
There really is no question that the defense improved from last season to this season but was unable to sustain it through major injuries at important positions because we do not have the depth necessary. The posters, or poster, that continues to scream otherwise is simply the embodiment of the Simpson's grandpa yelling at the clouds. We love our lovable grandpa here on Volnation but he has gone off the deep end.

Literally naming players that haven’t even stepped foot on campus yet. We’re talking about this year. They have had a few classes to resolve issues and didn’t. I like last years class and this one. And if the 23 guys were difference makers, why aren’t they playing much more? Herring is awful and plays a lot at MLB.

I’m saying the coaches are to blame in this too.

You’re acting like the coaches have been here for a decade. They got to campus as the ‘21 class was signing so it was almost entirely Pruitt’s class. ‘22 we were dealing with scholarship reductions, NCAA investigation, tons of uncertainty and the stench of a decade of failure.

So when was CJH supposed to pull all these difference makers? ‘23 and ‘24. And he’s brought in a bunch of highly recruited athletes, who, like almost all 18 year olds, probably need a year or two before they’re ready for SEC play.

CJH wants to win games. You don’t do that by starting 5 freshman to get game experience.

Grant Williams has had an interesting development. Elite college scorer in the paint that developed a bit of a midrange game his senior year. Averaged 1 3 point attempt a game in college, below 30% for his college career. Averaged 10 shots a game from inside the 3 point line.

Got to the NBA and has gone from around 1.5 3P attempts per game his rookie year to 5.5 this year. Only 2.5 shots a game this year from inside the 3 point line.

Top 15 in the league in 3P% currently.

Last edited:
Right. When I envision football NIL powerhouses, Duke, NC State, Syracuse, Maryland and Wake Forest immediately spring to mind.

I didn't like UCONN's antics but I will say that they looked better than I thought they would against us. Frankly they looked well coached but also very outclassed. Talent differential was on full display that game. Mora's quote isn't wrong but it's pretty tone deaf. You never tell the few fans your program has that their passion isn't enough. NIL is still a big booster, corporate bundling game. If your team doesn't have someone who knows how to manipulate campaign finance by bundling donations together via a PAC and then using them to do your team's bidding while pretending well enough to satisfy regulators that you're not in complete contatct with one another on what to do and who to buy, NIL is a game you'll lose. Fortunately, TN has a lot of experience with that for several reasons.

If you take those stats and realize that they played a significantly weaker schedule when it comes to offense, I'm not sure you can make the claim they are better. It's my opinion they are at best equal.
Except this isn't true lol. I pointed it out a couple weeks ago with to prove this was a myth.

We've actually faced better offenses this year, if slightly (1 ppg or so iirc).

Still get Vandy to pad the stats as well.

Literally naming players that haven’t even stepped foot on campus yet. We’re talking about this year. They have had a few classes to resolve issues and didn’t. I like last years class and this one. And if the 23 guys were difference makers, why aren’t they playing much more? Herring is awful and plays a lot at MLB.

I’m saying the coaches are to blame in this too.
They’ve had one class before 2023. Heupel had no influence for the 2021 class. It was signed before he was hired. Nonetheless, Aaron Willis was the only high school LB signed in that class. Heupel tried bringing in Mitchell and Mohan as transfers, but they didn’t work out.

They signed Herring and Perry in 2022, and it was discussed in here that Herring wasn’t really going to be the LB of the future. That’s why they brought Pili in. Then, Carter gets hurt, too.

You can definitely criticize them for not getting more and/or better LB’s in 2022. But that’s essentially the only class they’ve had unless you want to consider true freshmen, who usually aren’t ready.

Lol "competent"

So being in the top half of the best defensive league in the country...while defending more plays than 80% of the country - being paired with one of the fastest offenses - is...incompentence?

You're acting like we give up 35 a game lmfao

We're already very competent. Now we reach for great.

View attachment 597174View attachment 597175
Lol, who did we get those stats against? 😂

That's hard when statistics can't be used. It comes down to one person's emotional eye test and gut feeling. It really is a lot of wasted effort in conversation.
It comes down to a team not having to punt. Hey we got beat by a terrible Florida team, we're not competitive against any team with a pulse but we got dem stats.

VN Store

Back