Recruiting Football Talk VII

Portal is a crap shoot..........more misses than hits.
Then where is the development at LB and CB? We have a ton of scholarship DBs.

I’m just saying we have to stop putting it all on players. That’s not fair. Some are limited physically but they are put back out every weekend to do the best they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volunteer821
‘23 - Carter, Telander, Jalen Smith, and Caleb Herring. Telander only one not a 4* and got Pili in the portal. Also got 4*s Matthews, Gibson and Conyer, plus a couple other DBs.

‘24 - Burns and Spillman, both 4*. Carter, Beasley, Farooq, all 4* and a couple other guys.

Don’t really how you can say we haven’t recruited difference makers. The coaches get it. The guys are freshmen or not on campus yet. That’s what happens during a rebuild from a dumpster fire. It takes time.

Also, you’re completely ignoring that we self imposed scholarship reductions, which magnifies depth issues when we have injuries. You can cry all you want about freshman not getting enough run, but having a bunch of dudes who have no clue on the backend is a quick way to get torched.
Literally naming players that haven’t even stepped foot on campus yet. We’re talking about this year. They have had a few classes to resolve issues and didn’t. I like last years class and this one. And if the 23 guys were difference makers, why aren’t they playing much more? Herring is awful and plays a lot at MLB.

I’m saying the coaches are to blame in this too.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
It's not hyperbole, next year will be year 4. If you look at the trajectory of this defense, it won't be any better. It actually could be worse given the attrition. So I'm asking, is year 5 the breakout year? Or should we wait for year 6 or 7?

I've been here a long time. These conversations are about as predictable as the seasons. It's always the same, "wait till he gets his guys in here. " meanwhile, 3 years in, in a time when rebuilding has never been easier, and we have a defense that couldn't cover mother Theresa. But there's always next year, or the year after, or the year after that. Meanwhile, recruiting suffers because people see that you can't field a competent defense, and we have the excuse that we need more players but we can't get them because we suck at playing defense.

Tim Banks will never field a defense capable of winning anything of significance.

This year's defense with last year's offense would've been a title contender.

Then where is the development at LB and CB? We have a ton of scholarship DBs.

I’m just saying we have to start putting it all on players. That’s not fair. Some are limited physically but they are put back out every weekend to do the best they can.

At LB, Pili got injured, Beasley became a solid player and the others had to play before they were supposed to. Even then, Telander made strides.

CB is a different story. Willie gotta go. Gibson did look good when he played.

i think one of the most baffling things about the defense is that unless there was an injury you rarely saw depth guys get meaningful snaps. i'm not going to sit here and say that the only way you develop is by putting them in the game....but we have a lot of youth in the secondary (and LB for that matter) and game experience is game experience. i think there were definitely opportunities missed to get some guys some snaps this year. Telander will be better for the experience he got, so will Herring....i feel like i want to see more of Jourdan Thomas and Ricky Gibson. im wondering where Christian Conyer is in his development?

i think there's talent on this roster......hope to see it.

could be interesting if we have more than a couple of opt outs for the bowl game, who gets moved up......

lebowski-atm.gif

At LB, Pili got injured, Beasley became a solid player and the others had to play before they were supposed to. Even then, Telander made strides.

CB is a different story. Willie gotta go. Gibson did look good when he played.
LB - biggest issue to me is we relied on 2-3 and hoped for no injuries for the past three years. And with how many snaps they take, we should be rotating 4 good players often. We should have taken 2-3 from the portal while the freshmen developed.

No arguing DBs. Martinez is gone soon tho. Can honestly give banks another shot as long as Willie is gone and hope for the best. Get the best DB coach $$$ can buy. But still not sold on Banks.

Reactions: Vols4us
Ahh so after three years it’s still a talent issue. Shouldn’t that be on the coaches to get players especially in portal day and age?
I agree
If we don’t have anyone better then what we have starting at safety then we have failed at recruiting
it brings up the question of Why are we recruiting bad players lol

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
Idk who’s decision it is personnel wise, whether its Heup, Banks, or Martinez, but the philosophy of play older guys to let younger guys “develop” is hurting more than it is helping in the secondary. Our safeties cant cover and are scared to hit, our cb’s cant cover, yet we continue to trot the same cb’s and safeties out there because they are upperclassmen. It is just really frustrating to see that because it is clear it is hurting the team as a whole
This

Reactions: BigOrangeGoose
And just because you say he has doesn't make it true. You can say it a million times and it won't be true. (Good afternoon, Timmy) 🤣😂😅
we will always have these convos no matter who are coach is…. An offense that plays our style will always have a defense that has bad games. i’m not protecting anyone…. just feel that it should be based on something tangible…
That's hard when statistics can't be used. It comes down to one person's emotional eye test and gut feeling. It really is a lot of wasted effort in conversation.

Reactions: volbeast33
LB - biggest issue to me is we relied on 2-3 and hoped for no injuries for the past three years. And with how many snaps they take, we should be rotating 4 good players often. We should have taken 2-3 from the portal while the freshmen developed.

No arguing DBs. Martinez is gone soon tho. Can honestly give banks another shot as long as Willie is gone and hope for the best. Get the best DB coach $$$ can buy. But still not sold on Banks.
your point about LB, i think you could argue the same thing at corner and Safety too. the only position we routinely rotated like you're talking is on the DL. everywhere else it was like, 'fingers crossed, nobody gets hurt'.

i really don't think Willie is that bad either. there were a lot of plays this year where i thought we had really good coverage but the throw and catch were just better. i saw, on more than one occasion, DB's actually turn their head and look for the ball.....lol.

i think the bigger issue is how we rotate...er...don't rotate....if they're not confident in the 2nd/3rd guy, then they either recruited/evaluated wrong, or they're not doing something in practice to get them ready.

it's weird how there's so many similarities between this staff and Fulmer's, in that way, very loyal to the older guys and kinda stubborn about the "we do what we do" mentality.

Will be interesting to see which programs had their recent results overinflated by it.

Oregon and Washington come to mind…
I get Washington, but why Oregon? They've averaged the 9th best class over the last 5 years. Pretty darn talented.

VN Store

Back