Recruiting Football Talk VII

i won't argue there. 3rd and Chavis is dead. lol.

the 3rd and long conversions....mercy.....very frustrating.

i don't think it's that simple. i think Banks had a tough hand dealt to him and he still isn't playing with a full deck. i think if you go back and look at the 1st two years, while not always perfectly executed, the style he started with was very aggressive. we started that way this year when it looked like our front 4 were going to be able to pressure w/out help. as a couple of those injuries mounted, we started to see that zone, keep everything in front of you and hope the front four gets there.

like i said, i think he needs to be better, i'm not sure replacing him immediately nets the kind of result you're looking for.

i think with the defensive players we've recruited the past two years, the talent is begin upgraded. i'm willing to be a little more patient right now, because of all the other stuff i've posted about the offense, injuries etc......patience does run out. but i'm not there yet.

again as for next year, i think we're in a bit of wait and see on what happens with the portal, and what our offense does.....i'm not ready to write off next year yet either.
I agree, banks stepped into a tough situation. The problem I have is he's not made much progress. Best case is he shows improvement year 5. That's unacceptable imo. In this age of NIL and portal, it shouldn't take that long. I don't have any faith that year 5 will be any different. If that is the case, it may have a negative impact on Josh which I hope and pray it doesn't.

Last edited:
Question: soft zone vs press man. What is the response to the position that, given present talent limitations and injuries, giving up 3rd-and-8s (or longer) all day is less bad than getting burned deep 4 or 5 times a game? (And you can take it that I fully understand that dilemma sucks and needs to be eliminated.) And do you think we will play more man with gibson, matthews, boo, etc., regardless of who is DC?
When Heup was hired…. he listed what requirements that he had for his defense…. it was an aggressive style of defense…. i think it is safe to assume that they are not aggressive as they want to be bc of the talent that we are putting on the field at this time.

@InVOLuntary @Smyrna ATL Vol If Banks does move on, what is the optimal timing?

Some key dates coming up:
Portal (entry) opens: Dec. 4.
Bowl practices begin: ?
Signing day: Dec 20.
Gator Bowl: Dec 29.
Portal (entry) last day: Jan. 3.
I think if it happens it will be after the bowl game.

All this back and forth on our Defense, Banks or Willie, overall defense improvement vs our Offense stinking it up....

I don't care at this point, whoever is in charge of our 3rd down defensive scheme has failed to do their job and failed every game to make any adjustments based on failures in previous games... they need to be gone. The fact that folks on this site can figure out what's wrong and make suggestions shows this isn't rocket science and we've had the same set coverage every damn game, every 3rd down and it's basically failed. Whoever is overseeing this person has failed to do their job as well.
It would even be understandable if we've seen changes of coverage and scheme during games or game to game and it not work... if that was the case then there are other factors involved in our inability... but it's the same damn thing every game. Rinse, repeat, Fail.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
You can't use one year to the next as proof of improvement. To do so is quite frankly, stupid. If I play a really tough schedule 1 year and the next play a weak schedule it taints the stats.
we were 4th last yr in ppg allowed in the SEC …... we are 4th again this year while also being last in the entire country in TOP….. That seems better than average to me!

Last edited:
All this back and forth on our Defense, Banks or Willie, overall defense improvement vs our Offense stinking it up....

I don't care at this point, whoever is in charge of our 3rd down defensive scheme has failed to do their job and failed every game to make any adjustments based on failures in previous games... they need to be gone. The fact that folks on this site can figure out what's wrong and make suggestions shows this isn't rocket science and we've had the same set coverage every damn game, every 3rd down and it's basically failed. Whoever is overseeing this person has failed to do their job as well.
It would even be understandable if we've seen changes of coverage and scheme during games or game to game and it not work... if that was the case then there are other factors involved in our inability... but it's the same damn thing every game. Rinse, repeat, Fail.
none of us have a clue how to fix anything…. if we did then we would be making a million dollars to fix it.

we were 4th last yr in ppg allowed in the SEC last year…. we are 4th again this year while also being last in the entire country in TOP….. That seems better than average to me!
Playing against scrubs. Last year was bad but his year was worse. That's the problem with going year to year stats. He's terrible ans will be proven to be right when it's all said and done. I just hope it doesn’t cost Huep his job.

The problem with that line of thinking is things are never static. You're either going up or down. 2-3 years of static is the inevitable start to going down. If we don't improve that defense we'll be in a constant fight with SC, KY and the other bottom half of the SEC teams.

See - I disagree. SC, KY and all those other schools will be cycling coaches and coordinators, installing new offenses and defenses, shifting their recruiting boards every 2 or 3 years.

Meanwhile the Tennessee of my dreams could differentiate itself by being able to recruit high school sophomores and juniors to a stable system, coach up existing players within that system for up to four years and have everyone knowing what’s supposed to happen when and where on every play, every year, making it easier to absorb injuries and onboard new players. I think that takes 5 to 6 years, not 2 to 3.

Nobody truly gives that approach a shot. I’d like to see Tennessee do it.

See - I disagree. SC, KY and all those other schools will be cycling coaches and coordinators, installing new offenses and defenses, shifting their recruiting boards every 2 or 3 years.

Meanwhile the Tennessee of my dreams could differentiate itself by being able to recruit high school sophomores and juniors to a stable system, coach up existing players within that system for up to four years and have everyone knowing what’s supposed to happen when and where on every play, every year, making it easier to absorb injuries and onboard new players. I think that takes 5 to 6 years, not 2 to 3.

Stoops has been at UK for 9 years.
Muschamp got 5
Odom got 4
Drinking will get at least 5.
Pittman is about to get 5.
This theory doesn't work very well.

Question: soft zone vs press man. What is the response to the position that, given present talent limitations and injuries, giving up 3rd-and-8s (or longer) all day is less bad than getting burned deep 4 or 5 times a game? (And you can take it that I fully understand that dilemma sucks and needs to be eliminated.) And do you think we will play more man with gibson, matthews, boo, etc., regardless of who is DC?
Not all zone coverage gives a big cushion, and not all man coverage is press. Teams want to have athletes to run both and keep offenses guessing: an OC can call route combos to beat any coverage if he knows what is coming.

Not all zone coverage gives a big cushion, and not all man coverage is press. Teams want to have athletes to run both and keep offenses guessing: an OC can call route combos to beat any coverage if he knows what is coming.
our talent isnt good. neither is the position we play in, nor the angles we take, as well as our tackling is crap.

Ive never, not even a day have I played a down of competitive football. And I can see it.

When Heup was hired…. he listed what requirements that he had for his defense…. it was an aggressive style of defense…. i think it is safe to assume that they are not aggressive as they want to be bc of the talent that we are putting on the field at this time.
Ahh so after three years it’s still a talent issue. Shouldn’t that be on the coaches to get players especially in portal day and age?

Problem is, we've seen three years with virtually no improvement. After a while the lack of personnel becomes an excuse that doesn't hunt. Players don't want to come because they don't see that they are being used properly. Is anyone on this defensive team draft worthy this year? We go on and on about how players want to see players get drafted. If it truly takes 5 years, then whether fair or not, your programmed is looked at in five years in a negative light making it more difficult to attract great players.

Portal is a crap shoot..........more misses than hits.
Ahh so after three years it’s still a talent issue. Shouldn’t that be on the coaches to get players especially in portal day and age?

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back