Recruiting Football Talk VII

They could limit their time on the field by getting off on 3rd down. I'm not talking about 3rd and 2 I'm talking about 3rd and 10+. That failure alone is a major reason why I have zero faith in banks. He makes John Chavis blush when it comes to 3rd or 4th and long.

It's really a simple question. Do you think we could do better? I think we can do a lot better. Also, how long should it take? Year 4 doesn't look promising, so 5, 6, or 7 years?
i won't argue there. 3rd and Chavis is dead. lol.

the 3rd and long conversions....mercy.....very frustrating.

i don't think it's that simple. i think Banks had a tough hand dealt to him and he still isn't playing with a full deck. i think if you go back and look at the 1st two years, while not always perfectly executed, the style he started with was very aggressive. we started that way this year when it looked like our front 4 were going to be able to pressure w/out help. as a couple of those injuries mounted, we started to see that zone, keep everything in front of you and hope the front four gets there.

like i said, i think he needs to be better, i'm not sure replacing him immediately nets the kind of result you're looking for.

i think with the defensive players we've recruited the past two years, the talent is begin upgraded. i'm willing to be a little more patient right now, because of all the other stuff i've posted about the offense, injuries etc......patience does run out. but i'm not there yet.

again as for next year, i think we're in a bit of wait and see on what happens with the portal, and what our offense does.....i'm not ready to write off next year yet either.

I don't know that Hubbs would be willing to say otherwise, would he? It would nearly amount to an announcement and be a big media story in a hot little minute. Has he ever said something like that before in advance of the coaches? Idk; I'm asking.
He usually just wouldn't bring it up or address it

Reactions: Orange.
They could limit their time on the field by getting off on 3rd down. I'm not talking about 3rd and 2 I'm talking about 3rd and 10+. That failure alone is a major reason why I have zero faith in banks. He makes John Chavis blush when it comes to 3rd or 4th and long.

It's really a simple question. Do you think we could do better? I think we can do a lot better. Also, how long should it take? Year 4 doesn't look promising, so 5, 6, or 7 years?
Tim Banks has gotta go. Uninspiring defense.

Question: soft zone vs press man. What is the response to the position that, given present talent limitations and injuries, giving up 3rd-and-8s (or longer) all day is less bad than getting burned deep 4 or 5 times a game? (And you can take it that I fully understand that dilemma sucks and needs to be eliminated.) And do you think we will play more man with gibson, matthews, boo, etc., regardless of who is DC?

This guy does a great job of breaking down UT’s games, and 3 major takeaways I took from it are:
-Joe’s biggest flaws besides accuracy is his anticipation and being able to throw open players, you see that several times in this vid
-our defense, specifically LB’s and DB’s are probably the softest I have ever seen, it’s like we dont tackle in practice
-Squirrel White HAS to do a better job route running and improvising

Question: soft zone vs press man. What is the response to the position that, given present talent limitations and injuries, giving up 3rd-and-8s (or longer) all day is less bad than getting burned deep 4 or 5 times a game? And you can take it that I fully understand that dilemma sucks and needs to be eliminated.
Personally in 3rd and long situations id run man with the CBs and STAR, have the safeties drop zone and LBs cover flats, but in a case where our front 4 arent getting home then blitz a lb and have one lb cover flats and the STAR cover the other flats and have the safeties in high-low

What am I looking at here?
Twss GIF - TWSS - Discover & Share GIFs

UT ranks dead last in time of possession. Check the other teams near the bottom of that category and also check how their defenses are doing.

No reason to fire Banks when the defense has improved with an offense than doesn't stay on the field. Heupel coached teams won't ever have truly elite defenses because of this, and that's okay. The defense was good enough this year, the offense was not.

Willie can leave tho.
This is it right here. The offense was the main problem and

Reactions: hooter vol
Personally in 3rd and long situations id run man with the CBs and STAR, have the safeties drop zone and LBs cover flats, but in a case where our front 4 arent getting home then blitz a lb and have one lb cover flats and the STAR cover the other flats and have the safeties in high-low
Our LB's drop back into zone coverage and it looks like they run away from the WR's. I mean their ability to read, react and anticipate is glaring. They will run to complete open grass 15 yards from the LOS while a RB runs wide open. I don't know if it's primarily film study, route knowledge, or awareness that is the mostly responsible.

VN Store

Back