Recruiting Football Talk VII

I think fish get their color in freshwater. Could be wrong, term 'steelhead' is probably referring to a migratory fish - salt to fresh.

Also, Native Rainbows - in Western Half of US tend to be hardier than their Eastern brethren. In my experience... trout here in TN for example, are 'wild', and fight harder.

Meatchicken also has Salmon.

Anyway, i'm sure @SoilVol can fill in any gaps in my theory. Have fun.

Seems like Walmart Trout versus Trout that farm for their food. Eastern trout wear pajama pants and slippers to market.
@Big151Orange steelhead and rainbow trout are the same species (Oncorhynchus mykiss) Technically speaking, a steelhead is a rainbow trout that has spent time in the ocean. They're larger and have a different color pattern and diet. Not native to the Great Lakes but have been introduced there, and because of the size of the lakes the rainbows physically change into a poor-man's steelhead. Big fish, same color pattern but diet and such is different. Plus they don't experience saltwater which changes some inner physiology but for all intents and purposes, they're steelhead.

But the Great Lakes also have king salmon which were stocked though I believe much of the northern GL region has seen a drop in pops of kings and steelhead. We were fished Huron in 2017, the native lake trout (which also get huge) were the only trout species available to catch in that area.

Bark looks good, Faint smoke ring( would be curious on your cooking technique), what kind of grill/smoker did you cook on?
Here’s a pic of smoker. Was kinda surprised by the small smoke ring. Ran 250-275 for 8 hours till 170 then wrapped in foil till it hit 205 (I’m sure yo will see this before you see my reply to you)IMG_5535.jpeg

@butchna

Read where A.J. Smith passed away at 75 years old, best known for drafting Eli Manning and then trading Eli to Giants for Philip Rivers.

Winningest Chargers G.M.
Former scout so he had that touch in identifying the better talent. Ignored Archie and selected Eli anyway and turned that pick into three future starters…Rivers, Shawne Merriman and a kicker. Could build a Pro Bowl roster for you but that roster hated him when it came to re-signing and that led to his downfall. I think there was some drama between him and Marty Schottenheimer also. His son’s in the business. RIP…he was a good one.

Thinking about a vacation to the UP in Michigan and would like to get some suggestions on places to visit. One part of the country I’ve never been to and would like to plan a trip there sometime. What’s the best time to go for fall foliage?
Hint:old-lady.gif
*Shocking and terrible but I laughed anyways. I'm sure she was fine. Maybe I shouldn't have posted that gif. I feel kind of bad, now that I've watched it several times. Her shoes flying off is still kind of funny. I don't know. If you laugh, I won't judge you. I love my momma.

Happy Belated Mother's Day, VN

Last edited:
I don’t think that poor ole lady is still alive
I've been holding that one for a while and edited my post with a brief summary of my moral dilemma of posting that particular gif. I'd like to think that she landed safely at the bottom and "walked it off" on her way to the food court.

Here’s a pic of smoker. Was kinda surprised by the small smoke ring. Ran 250-275 for 8 hours till 170 then wrapped in foil till it hit 205 (I’m sure yo will see this before you see my reply to you)View attachment 640390
Smoke ring looks fine to me. iirc the ring forms by a reaction of carbon monoxide and the meat fibers/cells it contacts before the meat cell reaches a certain temperature. So that's why there's a limit to how thick a ring can get and why the thickness can vary.

The quality of fire outputting a bunch of CO and the temperature at the start matters, so if its too hot too soon the meat will pass the temperature where it turns brown before the CO can react with the cells to turn red. So I think of it like your smoke ring is made in the first half and the bark is made in the second half.

So from a Vandy insider: Mark Cuban has apparently become a major figure in Vandy athletics. He wrote the check to buy out Stackhouse's $20M contract. He's apparently about to put a lot of money into Vandy' basketball NIL.

Also, Vandy fans and donors are irrationally upset about Corbin getting dogwalked by Vitello. Some other donors are coming together this offseason to put together a massive NIL program for baseball to keep their recruits from going to the minors. They also might make a run on Elander to be their hitting coach. Corbin is staying, but some assistants might get goned.

They've given up on football. They want to get baseball and basketball fixed before they even start.

They have no administrative support and their AD is an idiot. Academic elites that place no importance on athletics and would probably rather they didn't have sports. As we all suspected. Supposedly some effort to change that coming, and the AD has her head on the chopping block.

There's been a recent upwelling of support to move to the ACC. However, Mark Cuban is supposedly blocking it. He wants Vandy to stay in the SEC.

The reason Mark Cuban is secretly involved with Vandy athletics is because his daughter is at Vandy. She's the only one of his children to go to college, so he's supposedly very invested in the university through her.
Go ahead and give all of Zuck's children free rides to UT and his name on a building. In return, all we'll ask is $1 billion in NIL contributions...

This is the way.

Smoke ring looks fine to me. iirc the ring forms by a reaction of carbon monoxide and the meat fibers/cells it contacts before the meat cell reaches a certain temperature. So that's why there's a limit to how thick a ring can get and why the thickness can vary.

The quality of fire outputting a bunch of CO and the temperature at the start matters, so if its too hot too soon the meat will pass the temperature where it turns brown before the CO can react with the cells to turn red. So I think of it like your smoke ring is made in the first half and the bark is made in the second half.
IMG_6684.gif

Hint:View attachment 640391
*Shocking and terrible but I laughed anyways. I'm sure she was fine. Maybe I shouldn't have posted that gif. I feel kind of bad, now that I've watched it several times. Her shoes flying off is still kind of funny. I don't know. If you laugh, I won't judge you. I love my momma.

Happy Belated Mother's Day, VN
I thought that was @InVOLuntary.

Here’s a pic of smoker. Was kinda surprised by the small smoke ring. Ran 250-275 for 8 hours till 170 then wrapped in foil till it hit 205 (I’m sure yo will see this before you see my reply to you)View attachment 640390
Nice smoker. My main recommendation for smoke ring and also better results is to add a water pan and use water soaked chips or chunks if you can find them. An old Dutch oven makes a great water vessel because it adds mass and will help temp regulation. You can rig a stainless chafing pan to hang under your rack too with some s hooks and by drilling holes in the dish. My vertical smoker works that way with the pan below the two rack tiers.

I soak my chips wrap them in foil and then poke holes. I pull spent packs and add new ones as I go. The foil packs help the chips keep from burning too quickly.

Wood Dryness – Burning water soaked chips will create more nitric oxide
Humidity – Higher humidity, and a moist meat surface, results in a better smoke ring.
Oxygen Levels – Oxygen is required for combustion to take place. A lack oxygen will mean smoldering fuel, less nitric oxide and no smoke ring.
Combustion Temperature – Lower combustion temperatures, or the point at which the fuel bursts into flames, produce a better smoke ring[. This is because nitric oxide, a by-product of combustion, is produced at an earlier point in the cook before the temperature will break down the myoglobin and the colors are fixed

Okay nice. Did you use charcoal or wood chunks? Yeah I’m really surprised by that too. That’s a good temp and time. Every smoker just takes time to get used too.
It looked great and killer bark.

Okay nice. Did you use charcoal or wood chunks? Yeah I’m really surprised by that too. That’s a good temp and time. Every smoker just takes time to get used too.
Thanks man, its a Freeman Maple. Acer FreemaniiIMG_5873.jpeg
Its a hybrid (I know I know calm down @SoilVol). Ruff hewn of a Red Maple (Acer Rubrum), and smooothe - Silver (Sachinarium).

Supposed to have an 'Autumn Blaze' in fall. But so far its had a golden look to it. Could be soil acidity, or just unhappy trees. Could be Sun...

Not to get too 'Sappy'🤢 here but used to read 'Maple' with my girls. Planted those in their honor.

They still argue who's is who's.🤦🏼‍♂️

Started it off with charcoal then ran wood the rest of the way until I wrapped of course then back to charcoal

Reactions: Volsdeep4 and DD4ME

VN Store

Back