Recruiting Football Talk VII

How’d we do? A couple rookie mistakes made so be generous on the reviews😀😀
View attachment 640342
View attachment 640343View attachment 640344
Brisket is definitely unforgiving like others have said. The first couple are almost like practice but not bad for your first one. A few questions…

What was the cooker temp for the majority of the cook? 225-275?

Did you have a water pan? Don’t always have to but can help with moisture and not drying out the meat

What was the internal temp when you pulled it? Recommend pulling at 190, resting process should bring it up to 200-205

How’d you let it rest and for how long? I typically smoke mine wrapped in butcher paper (never foil!) so once I pull it I wrap it in a towel (still in the paper), place it in a empty cooler and let it rest for 2-4 hours before slicing.

It should have some give to it and jiggle when your done @Glitch 😉

Brisket is definitely unforgiving like others have said. The first couple are almost like practice but not bad for your first one. A few questions…

What was the cooker temp for the majority of the cook? 225-275?

Did you have a water pan? Don’t always have to but can help with moisture and not drying out the meat

What was the internal temp when you pulled it? Recommend pulling at 190, resting process should bring it up to 200-205

How’d you let it rest and for how long? I typically smoke mine wrapped in butcher paper (never foil!) so once I pull it I wrap it in a towel (still in the paper), place it in a empty cooler and let it rest for 2-4 hours before slicing.

It should have some give to it and jiggle when your done @Glitch 😉
I ran 250-275 the entire time, pulled it 205, wrapped with towels and into cooler for 5 hours (we went and played golf), no on water pan, I did use foil because I wasn’t going to buy butcher paper for first go at it, definitely had give and a nice jiggle when sliced

I ran 250-275 the entire time, pulled it 205, wrapped with towels and into cooler for 5 hours (we went and played golf), no on water pan, I did use foil because I wasn’t going to buy butcher paper for first go at it, definitely had give and a nice jiggle when sliced
You might try pulling it around 190ish and using butcher paper on the next one. Maybe even try a water pan. Doesn’t have to be anything major. Even the slightest changes can yield big results on a brisket.

Reactions: mrMet
I'm gonna enjoy this summer, knowing we're gonna be thumping heads this fall. Everyone will know we're a top5 team within a couple games. I predict we're gonna be one of those teams that just looks unbeatable, like Nebraska back in the 90's.

Go ahead and make your reservations for the playoffs and title game.
Starting off the year thumping NC State and Oklahoma will be big time. I can’t wait

This is a small series of about 3-4 relatively short videos with Aaron Franklin that I watched as I attempted my first couple of briskets. I don’t follow everything he does but it’s a pretty good intro from one of the biggest names in the brisket space.

Last edited:
This is a small series of about 4-5 relatively short videos with Aaron Franklin that I watched as I attempted my first couple of briskets. I don’t follow everything he does but it’s a pretty good intro from one of the biggest names in the brisket space.

I really enjoy Mad Scientist BBQ youtube page. He breaks down the science behind times and temps and rubs and tests different settings and such in experiments.

Thinking about a vacation to the UP in Michigan and would like to get some suggestions on places to visit. One part of the country I’ve never been to and would like to plan a trip there sometime. What’s the best time to go for fall foliage?
Applebee's.

VN Store

Back